U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 09:25 PM

10,791 posts, read 7,690,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
One thing I remember hearing is that by the time you hit your mid 30's you are looking for comfort. I've seen that transition in myself. Just not interested in staying fleabag hotels and hostels anymore.
Yeah, I'm definitely at that point too! Have been for the past 15 years or so. I've been fortunate enough to be in well-paying work and a strong saving and frugality mentality (thanks to my parents) so I'm able to "splurge" a little now on my travels, at least for some of the trip. Also handy to not have to travel during high season because our kids are grown, so we can stay at better places at lower-season rates. No interest in backpacking anymore, even tent-camping is off the agenda now.

I don't mind cheap motels, but as long as they don't smell, have stains all over the carpet and bedspread and a shower that doesn't drain properly. Unfortunately, that's what it seems like 'cheap motel' means these days. It's pretty hit-and-miss with the cheap chain motels, like Super 8.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2011, 08:27 PM

94 posts, read 193,933 times
Lets keep the ball rolling on this discussion!

Old 08-16-2011, 12:09 PM

4,889 posts, read 3,977,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The thing that I found when I got back from traveling, was that nobody asked me anything about where I had been. Literally Nobody.. I guess they were just too embarrassed to ask question like "Just where IS Africa, anyway?" Or else, Americans are so comfortable in their abject ignorance and malinformation about the rest of the world, they don't want any facts or reality to disturb their slumber. Every once in a while, somebody will hear about something outside the USA that fascinates them, and they will ask me "Did you see the Great Wall of China?" No. End of conversation, change the subject. Unless it occurs to them to add "You mean you went all the way to China, and didn't see the Great Wall?" These are the same people that, if they knew you had been all over the USA, would ask if you if you've ever been to the Mall of America.

That's how Lonely Planet has destroyed my cultural and intellectual and spiritual link with Americans.
WHat I have encountered returning home was more along the lines of "Oh ....YOU got to go to Japan, but I didn't . Hmmmph! That's Not Fair. WAAAAHHHHH!"

Old 08-16-2011, 04:15 PM

9,601 posts, read 17,186,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
WHat I have encountered returning home was more along the lines of "Oh ....YOU got to go to Japan, but I didn't . Hmmmph! That's Not Fair. WAAAAHHHHH!"
Yeah I get that too and I think, but don't say: "Yeah, and if you didn't have new car payments and a house too big for your family's needs, and . . . " you could go too.

Old 08-18-2011, 04:45 AM

9,601 posts, read 17,186,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
I feel like that, and the closest I've ever come to leaving the country is less than a day in Canada and Mexico.

But yeah the author is right. It is escapism, but if life wasn't lame you wouldn't need escapism would you?

Only thing holding me back is the hope that someday I'll have a wife and family, be rich enough to attempt to accomplish my goals, and the needing money for when I'm old.

Plus Lonely Planet was shown as an app on an iPhone commercial a few years back, and if you know anyone who has lived overseas they probably mentioned it when you talked to them about their travels. I'm as amazed no one asked jtur about his travels.
The trouble with that is that someday you'll be happily ensconced with your wife and family and regretting that you didn't take the opportunity to travel when you were young and free. Even then it doesn't have to be too late though b/c our family of 4 backpacked around the world a few years ago and had a great time and I'm really glad we got to take the girls along as they added much to my enjoyment of the trip.

Some people have expressed concern about this as they're afraid that it will set their kids really behind with school, but we didn't have a problem with that at all. We homeschooled the girls on the trip and while we let math slip, the rest of the subjects were covered in depth and the science, foreign language, and history lessons were amazing. Even sex ed got covered on an all night bus ride out of Bangkok.

The best part? After we got back and got the girls back into school, they did well, but my older dd is a somewhat indifferent student and met the love of her life so her grades suffered a bit but were still decent. She entered college last year and while we were busy getting the papers filled out, we got a phone call that she had received an all expenses paid scholarship! Her high school counselor was a bit flabbergasted, but guessed that her travel experiences had really helped her to get this and she hadn't even applied for it--the college had submitted her name. The counselor said that since it is an int'l school, that she was probably kind of a poster child for them.

In a similar vein, I don't think it would completely hurt a career either and esp if you get a boss who values intl travel. It's not helping me get a teaching job though.

Old 08-19-2011, 02:05 AM

17,412 posts, read 21,254,176 times
Any kind of travel can alienate you from your home base.

Cousin Margie leaves a small town in North Dakota for the West Coast. Cousin Suzie is very content with life in North Dakota, swimming in a small lake, fishing/wading in a nearby river, some occasional local community theatre and a drink in one of two bars in town on a Sat. nite.

Cousin Margie is very pushy, sends Cousin Suzie a roundtrip air ticket for a birthday present. How can she resist, has never even crossed the border into Minnesota.

She spends two weeks on the West Coast, Margie exposes her cousin to all the wonderous attractions, makes sure she see everything.

Cousin Suzie returns to ND, and before long, she loses her friends, her family is even reluctant to invite her over. They've seen those travel photo's one too many times and have grown tired of her cynicism, whining, moodiness, suicide threats.

Thank God cousin Margie didn't treat Suzie to a round-the-world-trip. Then?
Someone at a bar one night might have hauled off and knocked her off her bar stool or hauled her down to the Greyhound bus station with a free bus pass!

As Thomas Jefferson once said: Travel makes you more wise, and less happy!

But my favorite: Nothing brings you closer to eternity than travel!

Old 08-19-2011, 10:20 AM

1,091 posts, read 1,784,393 times
Having done some travelling - and lived in another country for 10 years from Country of Birth - yes travelling is good.

BUT.... These types that endlessly go around the travelling around the world - why ? Have you travelled around your own country, why the fascination with far away places. There is a pathetic smugness about some people who have simply lived or travelled to another place and think they are somehow better than someone who has lived in their hometown for years - and have not really achieved anything more.

You can live a varied, interesting life in the place you grew up - people who think they need to go to another place - are lacking imagination, friends and living in the here and now.

Why not get a job which gets you travelling around the world instead of paying for it out your own pocket.

Old 08-19-2011, 10:32 AM

2,065 posts, read 4,181,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Travel makes you more wise, and less happy!
This is one of the wisest things I have ever heard in my life.

Say whatever you want, for good or bad (if one is not the resort-loving kind of tourist - not criticizing, just making a point and just my opinion) nothing is more eye-opening than traveling and seeing how other people live.

Old 08-19-2011, 01:36 PM

13,382 posts, read 40,928,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyking View Post
Having done some travelling - and lived in another country for 10 years from Country of Birth - yes travelling is good.

BUT.... These types that endlessly go around the travelling around the world - why ? Have you travelled around your own country, why the fascination with far away places. There is a pathetic smugness about some people who have simply lived or travelled to another place and think they are somehow better than someone who has lived in their hometown for years - and have not really achieved anything more.

You can live a varied, interesting life in the place you grew up - people who think they need to go to another place - are lacking imagination, friends and living in the here and now.

Why not get a job which gets you travelling around the world instead of paying for it out your own pocket.
Very good points.

There was a song some years ago, actually very corny, called I've Never Been To Me. I did not agree with all of the lyrics, but the gist of the song was that you can't run away from yourself.

Faraway places won't fill a hole in one's soul.
I've said it before: Travel should enhance your life, not uphold it.
Not every person who stays put is fearful or dull--some are merely busy doing very important things.

Having said that, the perspective gained from travel can be invaluable, and yes, even life-changing.

Years ago I did once get a job (au pair) that led to travel overseas, and that did broaden my horizons.

Old 08-20-2011, 03:51 AM

13,036 posts, read 22,025,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyking View Post

I do know my country pretty much from A-Z actually and I would say I also know the US a lot better than most Americans I have met.

The fascination with other places is because it is so unfamiliar, it is exciting and rewarding. I love where I live but I never wanted to stay there any longer than a couple of years. I can always come back to it later but to me the world is a huge place full of truly amazing places, cultures, people , food etc... I only have a few years on this planet and I would like to make the most of it whilst I am here. Home to me is where I happen to be. So sue me.

And by the way I happen to have an extremely full life at home. I volunteer for a lot of different charities, am active politically and socially, have friends, and am out every single week-end and quite a few evenings in the week too. I am disabled and I still get and out and about a huge amount, do archery, will go boating on the river, I go the theatre, cinema, art galleries, museums, enjoy local historical homes, architecture, archaeology, lectures, motoring, writing, reading, eating out etc... I have achieved plenty in my life but thank you for the condescending patronising attitude nonetheless.

It is not as though I sit at home being bored because I can't be bothered to see my own back-yard when I am not travelling. I have a life oddly enough.

Is it enough ? Hell no.

And STILL I want to get out into the world and keep travelling. If that makes me smug then so be it.

Quite frankly I think there is also a certain amount of reverse snobbery in your post .

We are not all the same. Some people are home-bodies and good for them. I am not. This does not make me superior but it does not make a lesser being because of it either.

Travel is an addiction for some of us because we enjoy it, we relish every single bend and wonder what is around the corner. Yes it does mean we are dissatisfied with being stuck in one place for any period of time but that is OUR lives . And being paid to travel is not the same as having the time to spend months in one place and truly absorb it. Even for travel writers travelling becomes a job. To me travelling should not be hard work and no time to smell the roses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or