U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 10:43 PM

9,593 posts, read 17,168,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyking View Post
Having done some travelling - and lived in another country for 10 years from Country of Birth - yes travelling is good.

BUT.... These types that endlessly go around the travelling around the world - why ? Have you travelled around your own country, why the fascination with far away places. There is a pathetic smugness about some people who have simply lived or travelled to another place and think they are somehow better than someone who has lived in their hometown for years - and have not really achieved anything more.

You can live a varied, interesting life in the place you grew up - people who think they need to go to another place - are lacking imagination, friends and living in the here and now.

Why not get a job which gets you travelling around the world instead of paying for it out your own pocket.
Well that wasn't very nice but I'll respond anyway. I certainly don't think I'm lacking in imagination and I'm not smug--most would describe me as being fairly humble. I have been to many of the states in the US and I've been all over my state, so I travel locally quite a lot as well, but I figure that the states will still be here when I'm older and not able to get around and on and off planes as well, and then I'll try to get around and see more of the US.

I am trying to figure out a way to get employed and travel too but that's a great way to learn to hate it. My bro is a pilot and he got stuck on a 42 day assignment right when we were trying to get mom situated in a safer place after her alzheimer's dropped off rapidly and he was ready to go nuts with worry over what was happening at home and his boss wouldn't let him come home b/c bro is the only one he trusted to pilot the plane. So, travel on a job can be very problematic and there aren't enough of those types of jobs to go around anyway.

The world ain't all black and white and not all travelers are smug, self satisfied types. Some of us just want to see what's out there and in the words of mooseketeer: so sue me. There are many more harmful passions in this world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2011, 05:46 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,911,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post

The world ain't all black and white and not all travelers are smug, self satisfied types.
Of course not, and I don't think Mikey was waggling a sanctimonious finger at you personally.

I've *definitely* run into self-indulgent travelers (never tourists--these elitists could never be described in such banal, inferior terms) who prop themselves head and shoulders above less-traveled, stay-at-home people.

I should not speak for Mikey, but for myself, it's just kind of pathetic how complacent such types can be, with their self-worth attached to a lengthy list of destinations they have visited.

Of course travel is enjoyable, enlightening, endlessly fascinating.
It's just that for some people, it almost becomes oneupsmanship, less about the destination itself than laying claim to it.
I suppose such people are only making themselves look ridiculous. The Art of Travel will survive.

Old 08-21-2011, 08:21 AM

9,593 posts, read 17,168,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
I've *definitely* run into self-indulgent travelers (never tourists--these elitists could never be described in such banal, inferior terms) who prop themselves head and shoulders above less-traveled, stay-at-home people.
Yes, I know the type--very well in fact, but Mikey was painting us all with too broad a brush:
Quote:
ou can live a varied, interesting life in the place you grew up - people who think they need to go to another place - are lacking imagination, friends and living in the here and now.
Anyway, believe me, you run into plenty of these types while out on a trip and a funny about one of them: We were going into the Tiger Temple in Kanchanaburi, Thailand, which is a Buddhist Monastery where the monks rescue orphaned tiger cubs and raise them either to stay at the monastery if they've been too injured, or they release them back into the wild. They have discovered that if you take the adult ones who've been injured and make it during the heat of the day after a feeding, and they chain them in a certain place, that it's quite safe for visitors to come pet them, so we went to do that. While we were standing in line to pay our fee, a man came up with his family and howled, "I didn't think anyone else knew about this place!" He was so miffed that he left and we had a little giggle b/c I doubt there's anyplace on earth worth seeing that isn't known about, esp in such a heavily touristed country as Thailand. But then we went to Phetburi, which has a temple on every hillside and monkeys all over the place and we had it to ourselves (touristwise) b/c it's not a resort town. I'm sure the man was mad b/c he had lost bragging rights to being the only one to pet tigers in a sacred place and thought he had some specialized knowledge.

Old 08-21-2011, 09:55 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,911,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Yes, I know the type--very well in fact, but Mikey was painting us all with too brush...
Perhaps. I guess his remarks did not hit a nerve with me.
Quote:
I'm sure the man was mad b/c he had lost bragging rights to being the only one to pet tigers in a sacred place and thought he had some specialized knowledge.
hehe
Too true with the bragging rights--the Tiger Temple sounds like an amazing place (never been, but yes I've heard of it). As you say, the world has become smaller and the list of little-known places worth seeing has diminished.

I've been guilty of playing that exclusivity game, I remember once remarking to my husband that we had not heard any American voices for a week and that it was rather refreshing.

Old 08-21-2011, 10:14 AM

6,351 posts, read 19,345,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
I've been guilty of playing that exclusivity game, I remember once remarking to my husband that we had not heard any American voices for a week and that it was rather refreshing.
Yeah, I KNOW!!! I really goofed; we were SO wrong in the way we did our European tours... We shoulda lived in stairwell housing on base. Left ONLY to go to the local McDonald's or to those BIG 'Merican shopping meccas at Vogelweh & Mainz-Kastel. We shoulda complained that it ALWAYS rains and that the locals only understand English when we talk LOUDER. And we never even partied hearty down at AFRC Garmish or Chiemsee...

Old 08-21-2011, 10:20 AM

1,077 posts, read 2,687,536 times
It's not that I don't care where people travel, I do. I don't have a chance to travel, so I like to hear about different parts of the world. The almost always inevitable condescending, I'm better than you because I travel usually follows. Maybe that's why people don't ask about peoples travels. Yes, they might truly not care, but at least for me, "travelers" have to like prove to you that they are more cultured. It is kind of annoying.

Old 08-22-2011, 12:41 AM

10,234 posts, read 13,981,012 times
Ez Mode Pls ~

Just don't do what a friend of mine did! He was a 41-year-old carefree bachelor who lived simple and liked to travel, and when he lost his job he decided to spend time in the Orient. Then the American economy nose-dived and jobs in his field were slim to none. So he decided to go to Vietnam for 6 months to each an English-speaking class.

Problem? He acquired a girlfriend there and knocked her up. It has resulted in a convoluted mess. I know he loves his child but he still travels and always leaves her behind. I know he feels "stuck" there. SO YOU BE CAREFUL! Because at least you have options.

Old 08-22-2011, 01:35 AM

10,791 posts, read 7,686,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest209 View Post
It's not that I don't care where people travel, I do. I don't have a chance to travel, so I like to hear about different parts of the world. The almost always inevitable condescending, I'm better than you because I travel usually follows. Maybe that's why people don't ask about peoples travels. Yes, they might truly not care, but at least for me, "travelers" have to like prove to you that they are more cultured. It is kind of annoying.
You sum it all up very well with that one paragraph. The way I see it, it's all about the traveler not reading their audience well and getting all miffed about it, like a prima donna. There will be those who would love to hear about your latest trip but without the superior attitude or a long-winded, overly detailed narrative. And then there will be those who aren't interested, period, for whatever reason. Get over it. There's over 6 billion of us on the planet and not all of us are going to like the same things.

I'm fairly lucky and have done quite a bit of traveling but don't brag about it or get into the silly oneupmanship with other travelers. If I get the sense you're interested in hearing where I've been, I'll give you a brief summary with some of the highlights, without any superior tone because I've been there and you haven't. I don't like that when other travelers take that tone with me so why would I do it to you or anyone else? If you want more information, just ask and I'll be happy to expand on it.

I'm most interested in hearing traveler's experiences of those people who've either been to where I've been or where I'd like to go some day. If we've been to the same places, I love the opportunity to share experiences and see if we felt the same or not, saw the same places, to have a good laugh or reminiscence, etc. I love talking to people who are planning to go someplace I've been and give them any helpful tip or bit of advice - if they ask for it. I've helped out at least a dozen friends who've gone to Italy and it's been so much fun for me because I get to relive my experiences. And it's a lot of fun talking to them when they get back because they'll have some advice for me for my next trip, whenever or if ever that happens.

Last edited by Vichel; 08-22-2011 at 02:13 AM..

Old 08-22-2011, 02:39 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,361,353 times
Some people really are just not interested in travel, other cultures, seeing other places and 'experiencing' other cultures (which is more than just viewing them imo). Is it so hard for people to understand this? Why not just let them be, I think too many people travel as it is (from my own selfish perspective), which has brought some benefits like cheaper airfares, more competition with travel providers, but it also means crowds, waiting and sometimes a lack of solitude. For some reason, going to the Grand Canyon with thousands of others didn't really feel like I was going on a big adventure.

As for myself, I would happily be a 'full-time' traveller if I had the money, but maybe not forever, maybe for a few years. I find the world a fascinating place and even in my hometown spend alot of my free time just exploring places. As a kid I would always wonder off on my own, and was always obsessed with far off exotic places and geography.

Being from Perth also makes alot of people itch to travel. Perth is the most isolated major city in the world and we lack alot of things most people take for granted. You want big cities, mountains/spectacular scenery, culture, exotic places? All of this is at least a 4 hour flight away from us.

Old 08-22-2011, 03:23 AM

3,359 posts, read 10,908,364 times
I've been all over the US and would love to do more of it but live with someone who is one of those point a to point b type people. I love to poke around and find that I imagine what it would be like to live in each spot and greatly miss the opportunity of doing so in the places I like, which are many. Flying and budget restrictions limit addl locations though third world countries really don't interest me due to the anticipated discomforts involved.

I love to hear about other people's travel adventures and have a friend who is now in perpetual travel mode. She is retired with a good pension and has recently signed back every one of her many properties back to the bank. I guess no one told her she should have at least paid off her own residence. She's chosen to be homeless with three months in one country and two months in another all year long. So many trips it makes my head spin only stopping in-between for a few days to visit her kids between destinations.

Last edited by Sgoldie; 08-22-2011 at 03:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or