U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2011, 12:41 PM

1,587 posts, read 3,241,573 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

I was randomly offered some specific dates for vacation by my work, and of course, I took it...so I think I may just use it to go a place I've been wanting to go for a LONG time: Stockholm, Sweden!!
But the thing is, I don't know where to begin. Has anyone whose been there make some suggestions as to what to do—don't worry about what I'm interested in, just looking for ideas— good places to eat/shop/chill with locals, etc. I speak/understand the beginnings of the language and I'm ecstatic to try my skills.
I want to have fun but I don't want to return to the States with a hole in my pocket. I'll be there for a week in September and traveling by myself, if that helps. First solo trip. A week is probably too short, but perhaps this will be a "teaser" for a longer, future trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2011, 01:49 PM

8,246 posts, read 11,107,651 times
You WILL return with a hole in your pocket, but it will be worth it. Get a Rick Steeve's guidebook and have a wonderful time! It's been 14 years since I was there so I can't advise you on specifics but the guidebook will help. Only downer: the Swedish Tourist office is useless except that the ones in the train stations will make B&B reservations for you. They got me into a great place. Have fun!

Old 07-18-2011, 03:29 AM

23,754 posts, read 65,859,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobage View Post
Hi all!

I was randomly offered some specific dates for vacation by my work, and of course, I took it...so I think I may just use it to go a place I've been wanting to go for a LONG time: Stockholm, Sweden!!
But the thing is, I don't know where to begin. Has anyone whose been there make some suggestions as to what to do—don't worry about what I'm interested in, just looking for ideas— good places to eat/shop/chill with locals, etc. I speak/understand the beginnings of the language and I'm ecstatic to try my skills.
I want to have fun but I don't want to return to the States with a hole in my pocket. I'll be there for a week in September and traveling by myself, if that helps. First solo trip. A week is probably too short, but perhaps this will be a "teaser" for a longer, future trip.
Here is a good site to start:
Stockholm
You can also buy a Stockholm card that gives you free admission to a lot of sights and attractions and a discount to a bunch of others:
A city card Stockholm à la Carte is included with every hotel reservation - a SEK 6000 value at no extra cost!
The card can also be used on buses,subways and commuter trains.
So it doesn't have to be expensive.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:32 PM

1,587 posts, read 3,241,573 times
Thanks guys!

Old 07-18-2011, 10:14 PM

37,972 posts, read 55,724,604 times
20 great things to do in Stockholm - Time Out Stockholm
Stockholm Card - Get The Most Out Of Your Trip yes! that's an excellent idea!
The Stockholm Card
Stockholm Card (1-5 Days), Stockholm | GetYourGuide.com
Stockholm Things to do. Guide to Things to do in Stockholm from Iknowagreatplace.com

Have a fun trip!

http://travel.spotcoolstuff.com/stoc...r/upperlev-mer
http://www.cntraveller.com/news/2011...er-tips-sweden
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel