U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2011, 06:45 PM

44 posts, read 269,454 times

Advertisements

Hello Fellow Travelers!

I am planning on a road trip with my Wife, Father-In-Law, and 26 month old son.

The Plan is to leave Vancouver, BC on the morning of August 17, and be back on the evening of September 5.

We basically want to go to Disneyland for 2 days, as well as a day to a beach in Huntington Beach, and want to also take the scenic route and visit the redwoods in N. California, go to Yosemite National Park, etc.

Once we travel through N California we would do the Disney and beach thing for 3 days.

After that, we thought it would be great to go to Arizona and see the Grand Canyon and then go over to Utah if possible and see Bryce Canyon and Zion Park.

We basically have around 18 days for the entire trip, and since we wouldn't be driving on the I-5 and be doing some scenery stop in Northern California, I was wondering on if this trip itinerary is realistic or not.

As we are traveling with a toddler, we wouldn't be driving like 14 hours a day or anything like that, but would be traveling in a motor home and would be able to snack and eat on the go to save time.

I think it could easily take 3.5-4 days just to get to Disneyland with the Northern stops planned, and then to go into Arizona and Utah would make the trip home longer so we are trying to educate ourselves more on the distance and am looking for advice on if this is too much ground to cover in too little time.

Any tips would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 04:45 PM

32,532 posts, read 30,656,328 times
I'll leave the timing to others... But I'll bip in here with a couple of hints. August can be very hot in Anaheim. Disneyland has a lot more shade than California Adventure. (They are right next to each other.) If you plan on going to C.A. go in the morning. It's south facing and the sun can be a killer. (I'll also admit to a HUGE Disneyland bias.) I'd get a park-hopper. Hit DLand the first day and C.A. the morning of the second. If you like it (a lot of people do) you can stay. If it's hot you can cross over and go to DLand.

With a toddler you might think about leaving the park (get your hand stamped and keep your ticket) in the afternoon. Take a nap and return in the evening. Fireworks show (which is a good one) is at 9:30.

Also if you need supplies there's a Walmart right off Euclid in Anaheim. (5 freeway.) Easy on and easy off. They also have Disney souvenirs cheap. (Feel free to DM me with any Disneyland questions.)

Also, August is prime Monsoon weather for AZ. The storms tend to roll in over the Grand Canyon in the late afternoon. Last year we drove through one that was mind bending. A ton of rain and lightning. So plan for that. (Where were you planning on staying near the G.C.?If you stay in the park it will be easier than driving to another spot and having to drive through it in an R.V.)

p.s. Pray for storms off New Zealand. It makes the surf better and half the fun of Huntington Beach is watching the surfers.

Old 07-18-2011, 05:21 PM

18,852 posts, read 31,713,141 times
I would spend your time in California, that drive to see the Grand Canyon in the summer is brutal, long, and HOT...Grand Canyon is nice in the Fall, Winter, but not so great in the summer, I think that you would be so hot you would not do much there but look in the giant hole, and wonder why you drove so far to see it...yes, it is pretty, but I would stay in California. That sounds like plenty of driving, and hiking time, spend more time in the parks in California, rather than all that driving time to see the Grand Canyon...but that is me. I don't like endless hours in the car. I think that your child would like to go to Sea World, and San Diego Zoo. All things being equal, I would go to San Diego instead, and do Legoland...

Old 07-18-2011, 09:59 PM

44 posts, read 269,454 times
Thanks for the replies.

We are traveling with my father in laws dog so unfortunately things like the Zoo and sea world will be out of the question, so that is why we are only doing the 2 days of disney and the rest will be parks, etc.

Maybe going to San Diego for a few days would be better.

I think bryce canyon in Utah would be a similar situation to the Grand Canyon; far too hot to really enjoy. Especially driving from LA area at that point.

Old 07-19-2011, 06:19 AM

18,852 posts, read 31,713,141 times
They have pet centers for your dog at various attractions, I would not rule those things out until you check that out. I would also spend time in Northern California, go to Carmel.

Old 07-20-2011, 07:57 AM

895 posts, read 2,549,523 times
Your trip south sounds great (I'm in Oregon) but it will be a hot one..
I would advise father-in-law to board the dog, as this will keep you from enjoying
lots of the trip and some nice hotels along the way.Its not fair to the pup to be in a
car all day long.
101 from Crescent City CA is a beautiful trip but it can be slow going and one you''ll want
to enjoy, in some places your on the ocean...Take I-5 from Vancouver down to Grants Pass
and across there to Crescent City, the drive is quite pretty...I would take 101 to Petaluma
and work my across to 5 from there and then head into Anaheim and enjoy southern for all the fun things it has to do..
Come up 1 from the southern Cal coast to even San Francisco, it is a beautiful drive and home from there..
Don't forget a stop at the Jelly Belly jelly bean factory in Fairfield its right off 80, great tour even your 2 year old would enjoy it.
Well thats my 2 cents worth,
Enjoy your trip.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:16 AM

5,327 posts, read 11,047,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamh View Post
Come up 1 from the southern Cal coast to even San Francisco, it is a beautiful drive and home from there.
Driving on *1* is better to go south, meaning *down*.
You will be on the ocean side, rather than then on the mountain side.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:32 PM

8,573 posts, read 12,671,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Driving on *1* is better to go south, meaning *down*.
You will be on the ocean side, rather than then on the mountain side.
Unless you have a fear of going over the edge, then you may prefer to hug the mountain side going north.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or