U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 12:12 PM

28 posts, read 34,920 times

Advertisements

Going to hawaii next year, and wanted to go by train to Cali., then 1st class to oahu. I've been told not to waste money. Hubby nor I have flown in over thirty years, so maybe what's nothing to frequent travelers, would be great to us? We need the most leg-room .(vascular issues) HELP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 12:16 PM

4,919 posts, read 19,859,989 times
I fly to Hawaii First Class many times and the secret is what airline your using and destination. Airlines that carry passengers to HI who are paying first class customers are better than those whose first class are often filled with FF's. Time of day matters also as the US Airways redeye back to the mainland from lets say KOA has few First Class ammenaties because of the time of day.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:19 PM

8,249 posts, read 11,115,794 times
Yes, IMHO it is a waste of money. Go to the website Seat Guru and see if you can't get the same legroom by careful seat selection. Don't hesitate to call the airline if you have disability issues. Most of them will bend over backward to help. Have a great trip!

Old 07-18-2011, 01:48 PM

4,836 posts, read 10,188,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
I fly to Hawaii First Class many times and the secret is what airline your using and destination. Airlines that carry passengers to HI who are paying first class customers are better than those whose first class are often filled with FF's. Time of day matters also as the US Airways redeye back to the mainland from lets say KOA has few First Class ammenaties because of the time of day.
Most passengers in First Class do not pay for first class the vast majority are FF with elite status.

First Class is nice but on some airplanes it is different then others. For example US Airways first class wont be as nice as American Airlines first class. But First Class on an United Airlines 767 will be the best since it is a larger airplane. If you have the large amount of money to buy a first class ticket go ahead and buy it. It is MUCH nicer then coach but it really all depends on the airline. Since it does not seem that price is much of an issue I would suggest looking at your schedule and then seeing what airlines fly to your destination with the most convenient times and schedule give us a list and I am sure some of us will be able to help you. As for extra leg room some airlines do allow passengers to buy seats that have extra leg room like the emergency exit row for extra money. However not all airlines do this because many airlines save this seats to give them to their loyal elite fliers. So what I would do is see the different airlines that have good flights there, call them up and see if they can offer and confirm you on extra leg room seats.
But if money is not an issue I would go ahead and buy the first class ticket. They are expensive though I am guessing on a LAX-HNL type flight at least $2,000 a piece round trip.

Old 07-18-2011, 03:57 PM

16,411 posts, read 26,235,031 times
Well I'd never pay outright for a first class ticket, but one thing I would recommend is checking the aircraft type before you buy it, I surely wouldn't want to pay first class prices if I wasn't getting a lie flat seat, and I really doubt a LAX-HNL flight would run an aircraft with lie flat seats ;(

Old 07-18-2011, 04:11 PM

8,593 posts, read 11,077,046 times
Chances are, flying B-class will be no more expensive from your home city than LAX. Also, depending on where you are, you may want to look at routing. For example. Continental flies domestic business from LA and Houston to Honolulu, but a different seat configuration from Newark.

Do your homework and check with a travel agent, or the airline directly.

Old 07-18-2011, 06:18 PM

Thank-you for all the great info!

Old 07-18-2011, 06:32 PM

Smile 1st class

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Chances are, flying B-class will be no more expensive from your home city than LAX. Also, depending on where you are, you may want to look at routing. For example. Continental flies domestic business from LA and Houston to Honolulu, but a different seat configuration from Newark.

Do your homework and check with a travel agent, or the airline directly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Yes, IMHO it is a waste of money. Go to the website Seat Guru and see if you can't get the same legroom by careful seat selection. Don't hesitate to call the airline if you have disability issues. Most of them will bend over backward to help. Have a great trip!
I will look into all the great advice given me. Confidence level went up a bit. Thanks, all, again.

Old 07-18-2011, 06:40 PM

Thumbs up 1st class

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
Most passengers in First Class do not pay for first class the vast majority are FF with elite status.

First Class is nice but on some airplanes it is different then others. For example US Airways first class wont be as nice as American Airlines first class. But First Class on an United Airlines 767 will be the best since it is a larger airplane. If you have the large amount of money to buy a first class ticket go ahead and buy it. It is MUCH nicer then coach but it really all depends on the airline. Since it does not seem that price is much of an issue I would suggest looking at your schedule and then seeing what airlines fly to your destination with the most convenient times and schedule give us a list and I am sure some of us will be able to help you. As for extra leg room some airlines do allow passengers to buy seats that have extra leg room like the emergency exit row for extra money. However not all airlines do this because many airlines save this seats to give them to their loyal elite fliers. So what I would do is see the different airlines that have good flights there, call them up and see if they can offer and confirm you on extra leg room seats.
But if money is not an issue I would go ahead and buy the first class ticket. They are expensive though I am guessing on a LAX-HNL type flight at least $2,000 a piece round trip.
This was very helpful info This vaca is honeymoon(after 17 yrs.)/hubby's retirement(38 yrs). I guess we're going all out! Thanks, again!

Old 07-18-2011, 06:55 PM

5,327 posts, read 11,049,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillalexanderp View Post
This vaca is honeymoon(after 17 yrs.)/hubby's retirement(38 yrs). I guess we're going all out! Thanks, again!
Maybe take a cruise ship to Hawaii ??? (if there is one ??)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or