U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 10:11 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,252,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillalexanderp View Post
going to Honolulu-1 mth
ahh ok so you shouldn't get international bank charges and will be able to use mobile phones etc in case the bank need to verify it is you using the card !!!

And any DVD's will work on the same region. I only get problems with trying to play my US DVD's in Asia or Europe hence the portable player.

Where are you staying ?? we are booked on flights in Oct but haven't decided where to stay yet. Am thinking about staying for 3 days and then going to Maui to play golf for a week..... I'll be making a decision in Sept so have a bit of time to play with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 10:19 AM

14,874 posts, read 37,245,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillalexanderp View Post
Thanks about the calling the bank info., - didn't know that!! We don't want any trouble $$-wise. Just wondering, should only one of us carry our card at a time when sight-seeing, and leave the other at the hotel? Should we take more than one type of card on trip- ie. bank -check/debit card & straight credit card? I heard something about taking 1/3 each type- bank card, credit card, cash?? Thanks again!
Yes, take more than 1 card. Most car rentals will not take a debit card even though it can also be a Visa. Same w/ some hotels if they put a "hold" on your card that hold goes onto your bank account. Use a regular credit card on major purchases. This is your ONLY protection. Even though your debit card is a "Visa" it is still not the same protection you get from the credit card companies if something happens. You can protest a charge on your credit card but can not on your debit card.

You can both carry a credit card with you. What happens if one of you loses the only one you have on you and you are stuck somewhere and need to find a way back to your lodging or pay for something? Or you seperate for some reason and one goes to explore one area while the other goes to look in a gift shop or something.

Yes, take a bank card, credit card and some cash. You are going to need 1's and 5's when you head out and when you are returning. Gotta tip all of those people that help along the way with your luggage Then any restaurants or such that don't take credit cards you will need cash.

No need to take enough cash to last a month though. You are still in the states being in Hawaii so you can use your ATM card to get more as you need to.

We use room safes wherever we go and have never had a problem. Keep cameras, jewelry, cash, wallets, passports, travel documents, etc in there.

Old 07-19-2011, 11:12 PM

10,234 posts, read 13,979,154 times
I do things a little bit differently.

Jewelry, i.d., cash, camera, medicines. . . all go in my carry-on.

I don't take valuable jewelry. I pack a few attractive junk pieces into a pouch. Medicines, I usually divide into individual ziplocks with the Rx #s included (I take a lot of meds and the bottles make too much bulk).

With i.d. and cash, I'm sneaky. They go into a small cloth "folder" that velcros shut, and I fit it into one of my deep pockets. If security scans me over and finds it, at least it'll still be close to us, not at the end of the conveyor.

I take a purse with a long straps (worn criss-crossed) that converts to a fanny pack when my neck-shoulders get tired. Women who do without a purse are lucky. I can't. Because of medical issues I carry extra things that many don't, but it also holds my camera.

Another thing. . . .

Even with a purse I still hide my i.d. elsewhere. If someone wants to get aggressive enough to cut my strap and run, all he'll find of value is the camera.

Old 07-20-2011, 01:22 PM

28 posts, read 34,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
That is what we do when traveling. One credit card on us, one hidden somewhere at whereever we are staying. That way if either we get mugged or room is ransacked we're still good with plastic.

Sounds like you'll be a nice place with a safe etc. so probably don't have to find creative hiding place, just use provided safe. We've hidden ours under end tables, under TV, inside air conditioning unit etc. you'd be amazed at how many good nooks there are for something as small as a credit card.

For somewhere in the U.S. like Hawaii I wouldn't worry too much about needing to carry lots of cash.
Thanks for the advice!

Old 07-20-2011, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Yes, take more than 1 card. Most car rentals will not take a debit card even though it can also be a Visa. Same w/ some hotels if they put a "hold" on your card that hold goes onto your bank account. Use a regular credit card on major purchases. This is your ONLY protection. Even though your debit card is a "Visa" it is still not the same protection you get from the credit card companies if something happens. You can protest a charge on your credit card but can not on your debit card.

You can both carry a credit card with you. What happens if one of you loses the only one you have on you and you are stuck somewhere and need to find a way back to your lodging or pay for something? Or you seperate for some reason and one goes to explore one area while the other goes to look in a gift shop or something.

Yes, take a bank card, credit card and some cash. You are going to need 1's and 5's when you head out and when you are returning. Gotta tip all of those people that help along the way with your luggage Then any restaurants or such that don't take credit cards you will need cash.

No need to take enough cash to last a month though. You are still in the states being in Hawaii so you can use your ATM card to get more as you need to.

We use room safes wherever we go and have never had a problem. Keep cameras, jewelry, cash, wallets, passports, travel documents, etc in there.
Thank-you very much! Didn't realize about car-rental pymt.'s. So even a Visa that's used for debit(pin), OR credit(signature), isn't protected? I thought if you signed,you were OK. Need to ask the bank, thanks again.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
I do things a little bit differently.

Jewelry, i.d., cash, camera, medicines. . . all go in my carry-on.

I don't take valuable jewelry. I pack a few attractive junk pieces into a pouch. Medicines, I usually divide into individual ziplocks with the Rx #s included (I take a lot of meds and the bottles make too much bulk).

With i.d. and cash, I'm sneaky. They go into a small cloth "folder" that velcros shut, and I fit it into one of my deep pockets. If security scans me over and finds it, at least it'll still be close to us, not at the end of the conveyor.

I take a purse with a long straps (worn criss-crossed) that converts to a fanny pack when my neck-shoulders get tired. Women who do without a purse are lucky. I can't. Because of medical issues I carry extra things that many don't, but it also holds my camera.

Another thing. . . .

Even with a purse I still hide my i.d. elsewhere. If someone wants to get aggressive enough to cut my strap and run, all he'll find of value is the camera.
I do the same thing-- On road-trips I never carry anything valuable in my purse. However, I'm blessed to not need to take one sight-seeing, as EVERYTHING I take is on a strap, or lanyard ie.-cell, camera, video-cam, binocs, hydration bottles, etc. Sm. pill-box and non-melting snacks fit in our pockets, and eyeglass clips to hold glasses on shirt, if necessary, $$ always on body. Thanks for the feedback.

Old 07-21-2011, 04:33 PM

12,289 posts, read 15,184,803 times
Don't take anything you are not prepared to lose.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:14 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,221,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Don't take anything you are not prepared to lose.
Right. Leave your Rolex at home, and if you often need to know what time it is, buy a $5 Timex.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:02 PM
JL

7,351 posts, read 11,877,440 times
Any suggestions on a good, affordable, and comfortable money belt? Is nylon or leather better? Thanks.

Last edited by JL; 08-04-2011 at 09:29 PM..

Old 08-05-2011, 04:57 AM

10,518 posts, read 12,730,813 times
You might not be able to wear a moneybelt through the security area at the airport, until after you pass through. So, if you plan to wear something like that, it's a good idea to have a shirt with large buttoned or zippered pockets to carry your valuables temporarily until you can get through security.

One of your most valuable possessions are your keys. Take only a housekey (if you plan to taxi home from the airport), which you can carry in your moneybelt. Plus, keys can be very bulky and cumbersome on a trip, especially if you don't need them. Hide them in a safe place at your home while you are away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel