Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 12:58 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,564,719 times

Advertisements

Prague it is....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 02:35 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,269,927 times
A good choice. Will you be staying for a few nights?

bedandbreakfast.com is a good site; hotelscombined.com; easytobook.com are okay. The Prague city site has some ideas.

You can stay outside of town pretty cheap and take the metro in, if you're so inclined.
Prague is safe; taxis will try to rip you off; the city is walkable.

Old 07-27-2011, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
A good choice. Will you be staying for a few nights?

bedandbreakfast.com is a good site; hotelscombined.com; easytobook.com are okay. The Prague city site has some ideas.

You can stay outside of town pretty cheap and take the metro in, if you're so inclined.
Prague is safe; taxis will try to rip you off; the city is walkable.
probably 4 nights. Am going to book the Sheraton. Its fairly central and I always get a nice upgrade and good service as I've been a platinum member for 6 years....

Old 08-04-2011, 09:23 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,927,362 times
Just came back from Budapest. It's nice, but it is a lot dirtier than most of the pictures you can find online make it out to be. There are also a LOT of shady characters in Budapest, so you have to constantly be on your guard for scam artists and pickpockets. That being said, I had a good time in Budapest (never been to Prague). I also went to this amazing restaurant in Budapest called Tigris. Absolutely fantastic, top 3 meal I've ever eaten. It isn't cheap, my fiance and I payed 110 euro for our meal, but for what we got, it would have easily been a 200 or 300 euro (possibly even more) meal in a place like Paris or London. In fact, I believe the Hungarian president picked Tigris as the restaurant to represent the EU when Hungary had the chair of the EU. You must try the fois gras they have. Also if you are interested in shopping, I believe you can reclaim 100% of the AFA tax when leaving Hungary, meaning essentially, Hungary is tax free shopping for outsiders.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:49 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,809,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swisswife View Post
probably 4 nights. Am going to book the Sheraton. Its fairly central and I always get a nice upgrade and good service as I've been a platinum member for 6 years....
My closest friend is a great fan of Prague and she said the "moderate" hotels there are nicer than top ones in many US places. She books in the Czech areas, not the "tourist" areas. She is constantly trying to get me to go....I haven't yet due to family reasons. She speaks Polish and English; said most older people know other Eastern European languages and younger also know English -- so she will tell people she speaks Polish and English, but not Czech... and most likely, they will know one or the other.

Old 08-05-2011, 12:58 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,868,052 times
Frm what I've seen or heard, give me Prague anyday.

Old 08-05-2011, 06:53 AM

well its Prague for this trip. Budapest is still on the list of 'to go to's'.
I try not to go back anywhere if there are still other options I haven't been to.
Unless its somewhere like Paris where I went a lot on eurostar when living in London or Phuket for a golf week when I lived in Asia....

Old 08-08-2011, 05:48 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,380,591 times
Definitely Prague! Prague is much more beautiful and the people are friendlier. I actually found Budapest kind of depressing. I haven't been there for many years but back when I went, I just found many people depressed and the city wasn't nearly as beautiful as Prague (which I loved!!).

Taxis in both cities can be scams so stick to known and reputable companies. Maybe things have improved in the past couple years but I doubt it. In Prague AAA taxi was great and the only honest company I came across.

For me it's not even close...go to Prague. In fact, in Budapest I got so bored I left during the trip and took the train to Vienna and really loved it.

Old 08-22-2011, 03:03 PM
Ohs

236 posts, read 712,469 times
Prague is like a dream. They do a lot of puppet theater there. I didn't get to see any for the small amount of time I was there. But I really wish I had. It was magical walking around. The cleanest town and most beautiful buildings ever. A Must Must Must See!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel