U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2011, 02:15 PM

16,411 posts, read 26,217,358 times

Advertisements

Just wondering who has been in severe turbulence. I've had some bumpy rides, but definitely nothing to call severe turbulence. How often is it really common?

My worst was probably a trans-atlantic flight and the pilot said for all flight attendants to stop what they were doing and fasten their seat belts. Made me mash my head on the window a couple times. It definitely puts you in your place 35,000 feet above a pitch black ocean.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 02:53 PM

4,919 posts, read 19,844,589 times
On scheduled passeneger flights, the Captain usually tries to avoid turbulance if they are aware of the area where it is or the conditions may be good for turbulance. On priavte cargo, unless the turbulance is expected to be so severe to damage the cargo or safety of the crew and aircrft, it's just potholes in the sky to us!

Old 07-20-2011, 06:50 PM

4,836 posts, read 10,181,864 times
What would be classified as severe rarely happens even to pilots. What the average passenger or even pilot would think is bad turbulence can happen of course. Not often as most times when there is weather that is bad enough to cause major turbulence pilots almost always if they can try to avoid it. But of course sometimes a storm is so large there is nothing they can do but fly over it and deal with the turbulence. I myself have flown a decent amount. From the website which I keep my flying stats about 500hours of flying and I have yet IMO experienced bad turbulence. But it also depends on the person. Hitting your head on the window sounds pretty bad. The best way to tell is the face of the flight attendants, if they look surprised or worried then it is pretty bad.
I once had a bad few chops once in an Swiss A330 on takeoff from Zurich the pilot came on the PA in a very urgent voice telling the flight attendants to sit down but then it ended a minute or two later.

Flights over oceans or large mountain regions usually have the worst turbulence. But as for severe turbulence which can cause injuries to people who are not in their seats etc.. It is pretty rare. Last time I remember it happening was over a year ago a United Airlines flight from South America somewhere to DC it had to make a stop in Miami to off load injured passengers. That is why you always keep your seatbelt on. Turbulence can happen anywhere and can not be predicted just guessed.

Old 07-20-2011, 06:59 PM

16,411 posts, read 26,217,358 times
Yeah definitely, that was the only time I have heard a pilot say we will be/are in heavy turbulence, but I was kind of interested in maybe hearing stories other people might have of being in severe turbulence, just a thread for fun :P

Old 07-20-2011, 09:47 PM

38,854 posts, read 20,155,423 times
Flying from LAX to Las Vegas seems to always have turbulence ... The first time I flew this route, it freaked me out a bit and my sister looked petrified ... Now that I have flown quite a bit over the past few years, I can remain calm during turbulence ... My seatbelt is always on unless I'm up using the restroom.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:20 AM

1,756 posts, read 3,157,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Flying from LAX to Las Vegas seems to always have turbulence ... The first time I flew this route, it freaked me out a bit and my sister looked petrified ... Now that I have flown quite a bit over the past few years, I can remain calm during turbulence ... My seatbelt is always on unless I'm up using the restroom.
Yes, same here! I was in LA a few months ago and took a Delta flight out to Las Vegas and wow, it was such a bumpy flight! I was sitting in the rear of the plane and as the plane started going down, I think my stomach was doing so many cartwheels, I felt I would get sick..The up/down, up/down weaving of the plane made me nauseous! Good thing I don't fly that often, I am nervous about getting on planes in general!

Old 07-21-2011, 09:25 AM

2,974 posts, read 3,954,136 times
I travel a good bit and in all my years I have only hit severe turbelence once when we were on our way to Texas and encountered thunderstorms. I happened to be in the last seat in the back and looking forward I could see everyone's head shaking back and fourth with the rocking of the plane and bobing up and down and babies were screaming. It would also seem like the plane would freefall for a few seconds, but it felt like an eternity. It was just after our meal and there were a couple of the people using the vomit bags too. I felt as though I was watching one of the Airplane disaster movies. I was in my early 20's and although young and dumb, I still had a slight bit of fear. I have never encountered that type of flight again luckly

Old 07-21-2011, 05:56 PM

367 posts, read 952,600 times
I live in Vegas and it is a bumpy landing, quite often. As previously posted, mountainous regions and where you have harsh climates can do this. Denver landings/take offs are often bumpy. There have been a few times when the pilot has called the flight attendants to take their seats, but nothing really bad during those times.

Worst that happened to me was a landing attempt into Vegas where was so gusty that the pilot had to abort and go around a second time.
Or maybe the winter storm when I flew in a small plane (EMB-120) from Medford, OR, to San Francisco. During a calm moment, the attendant served us a drink. Once I got my cup of coffee, the winds picked up again. I focused as best I could on not spilling it, and lost half the cup. Thankfully, nobody was sitting by my side, so I could reach the cup out of "harms way".

Old 07-21-2011, 06:20 PM

5,677 posts, read 8,588,145 times
Coming into LAX from Mexico City once we encountered very severe turbulence due to a "storm" that was supposedly in the LA area. The plan was shaking very violently, enough to throw people up from their seats...if we didn't have our seatbelts on it would've been disaster as everyone would be flying all over the place. It was really scary and people were panicking a lot but I saw a documentary that planes are designed for this sort of thing, even so...it's a bit unnerving. That is the only time I have experienced such a thing.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:24 PM

38,854 posts, read 20,155,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
Yes, same here! I was in LA a few months ago and took a Delta flight out to Las Vegas and wow, it was such a bumpy flight! I was sitting in the rear of the plane and as the plane started going down, I think my stomach was doing so many cartwheels, I felt I would get sick..The up/down, up/down weaving of the plane made me nauseous! Good thing I don't fly that often, I am nervous about getting on planes in general!
That's ironic that you mentioned the rear weaving motions as I have found that sitting towards the rear is usually more tolerable versus the front and by the wings ... I deliberately select seats within the last few rows and my nerves during take-off has calmed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or