U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 01:33 PM

858 posts, read 1,567,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
I once stayed in a renovated castle overlooking the Rhine River in Germany -- it was clean, comfy and wonderful (except for the loooooooooong trek up the trail to get to it). None of the hostels I've stayed in had either an age limit or a lock-out/curfew time -- but that's because I'd eliminate those facilities from my list.

As for Washington, DC -- I stayed in the AYH hostel there back in the late 1970's and I remember it being fine. It currently has an overall rating of 84% on Hostels.com, with a sub-rating of 82% for cleanliness.
There are hosteling international (HI) hostels, AYH is part of this. They tend to be more institutional, more official, strict, but are usually clean & very efficiently run. There is a certain "guarantee" quality with them, they have an official rating system. They tend to have the "lock out" periods in the middle of the day. HI hostels in Bavaria has an age limit unless you are the leader of (youth) group.

A lot of HI hostels do have private rooms (doubles, singles), some have private bathrooms. But of course it costs more then a dorm bed. Some HI hostels have a surcharge for older guests. And of course having the HI card is cheaper.

Then there are the "private" hostels...like Green Tortoise, the Generator, the Circus etc. Some are very nice..other not so much. But they tend to be more relax with rules, lockouts, age limits and "fun".

The hostel you stay up on the Rhine sounds like the Bacharach one. I guess it's too late to tell you now, but there is a shorter shortcut up, through a set of stairs next to the old church ruin. I stayed in a private double room with a bathroom in one of the towers, across the courtyard from the dorm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 06:13 PM

3,111 posts, read 7,049,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
Are you familiar with any in DC?
no, sorry.

but i use hostelworld to book them, and there are many reviews there.

Old 07-22-2011, 08:21 PM

14,324 posts, read 24,125,667 times
When I was younger and traveling through Canada, I always found that staying at university accommodations was less expensive than the local hostels and included a private room.

Now when I take the nephews on the road, it is generally cheaper to Priceline/Hotwire a room than to look at a hostel for 2-4.

Old 09-08-2011, 05:27 PM

33 posts, read 50,449 times
I've stayed in and liked the hostels in Key West, Miami, Portland Hawthorne, and Seattle Green Tortoise. All were conveniently located - especially Miami Clay Hotel and Green Tortoise in Seattle was right across the street from Pike Market. You could look out your window and see the sign at the market. For me, staying in a hostel at least sometimes allows me to take more trips because I only have so much to spend on travel. I would rather squeeze in a few extra trips at lower cost than blow it all out in one. You trade privacy for cost. While most hostelers are respectful, you might have to deal with some noise in the middle of the night, but I've never stayed in a room with anyone who made me nervous. If you're traveling solo, it can be an awesome way to meet very interesting people and have someone to sightsee or have dinner or drinks with, if you choose. I've roomed with travel writers, fortune tellers, and college kids who have seen a lot more of the world than I have. Usually, a very positive experience for me.

Old 09-08-2011, 11:09 PM

9,453 posts, read 17,496,743 times
I stayed in one about 15 years ago when I was 50. It was in Salt Lake, and I couldn't find a room anywhere. I was meeting a friend there and she was at this hostel and suggested I stay there. Ugh! There's a reason it was the last time I stayed in one. I never got any sleep at all, as I was in a bunk bed with 8-12 guys in the room, half of which were snoring up a storm. My friend had a room all to herself, but it was around $60, and nothing was that clean.

Old 09-08-2011, 11:52 PM

14,324 posts, read 24,125,667 times
We looked at staying at one of the hostels in Seattle last year. However, the cost of the hostel for two people was MORE than staying at a 3* hotel in the Pike Market area when I booked on Priceline. And I am sure that the Marriott was a lot more comfortable.

Old 09-09-2011, 04:34 AM

13,382 posts, read 41,007,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnomatic View Post

The hostel you stay up on the Rhine sounds like the Bacharach one. I guess it's too late to tell you now, but there is a shorter shortcut up, through a set of stairs next to the old church ruin. I stayed in a private double room with a bathroom in one of the towers, across the courtyard from the dorm.
I was thinking the same thing. (I never even stayed there, but that hostel is legendary.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
We looked at staying at one of the hostels in Seattle last year. However, the cost of the hostel for two people was MORE than staying at a 3* hotel in the Pike Market area when I booked on Priceline. And I am sure that the Marriott was a lot more comfortable.
I've noticed this, as well. It pays to do research.
In terms of value, there are plenty of hotels (especially these days) that can compare with or exceed a hostel. Some people enjoy the camaraderie of a hostel, others just want to be able to sleep comfortably at night. Sometimes you can get both; we stayed at a very cosy, friendly, clean hostel in Berlin.
I do not care if a place is or isn't fancy, but I do require cleanliness.
The San Remo Hotel in San Francisco has long been a favorite of mine, it has aspects of both hotel and hostel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I'm almost 60 and have stayed in hostels. The last one just a month ago.
High five!
I'll be 57 next month and definitely still use hostels.
Staying in hostels in Germany during World Cup was quite an experience, and we were not the only oldsters there.

Old 09-09-2011, 02:28 PM

15,723 posts, read 9,706,219 times
How do you all feel about safety issues at hostels? That would be the biggest thing that would worry me. You're in a room with possibly 10 strangers from around the world. Obviously most hostels have lockers to prevent theft, but what about physical safety while you're sleeping? I guess I'd be paranoid that some violent sociopath ended up in my room.

Old 09-09-2011, 02:51 PM

38,927 posts, read 20,246,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
How do you all feel about safety issues at hostels? That would be the biggest thing that would worry me. You're in a room with possibly 10 strangers from around the world. Obviously most hostels have lockers to prevent theft, but what about physical safety while you're sleeping? I guess I'd be paranoid that some violent sociopath ended up in my room.
Yup ... Most folks are decent people but it is the potential of sharing a room with a sociopath that would scare me as well. I would never place my safety at risk just to save a few traveling bucks. If I cannot afford a hotel and don't have friends/family to stay with, I'm just going to forgo the trip altogether.

Old 09-09-2011, 06:01 PM

13,382 posts, read 41,007,213 times
If you are truly worried about a sociopath, you should stick with a hotel.

Having said that, let me remind you that things can happen anywhere.

Anyway, I (little old 50 something) stayed in a hostel two nights with a couple young guys and absolutely nothing happened and all I paid was $25 per night.
If any disturbance occurred, it was probably me getting up at 2am to go to the bathroom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel