U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 11:40 AM

145 posts, read 392,200 times

Advertisements

I've stayed in over 50 hostels across the world and i would say that as long as you choose the place wisely (i always use Hostels Worldwide - Online Hostel Bookings, Ratings and Reviews as i like to read the reviews) you'll have an excellent time. Some hostels are clearly built for young travellers to meet others and go out partying, whilst others are more geared towards families and large groups i.e. schools and scouts.

I'd also not worry too much about the security aspect either. Most hostels provide lockers, so you can store any valuables with peace of mind and you're far more likely to encounter friendly people from other cultures, than some type of sociopath.

I enjoy solo travel (i'm 28) and will continue to use hostels for the foreseeable future. It's far more enjoyable to share a meal or go out for drinks with new people from foreign lands than go back to an empty hotel room.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 05:11 PM

38,854 posts, read 20,160,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post
It's not good to live a life of fear...
I don't ... I've traveled solo many times these past few years and utilized mass transit to get around ... I've ignored the naysayers who were cautioning me against traveling solo to NYC and relying on their subway system. I don't allow fear to rule my life but I also don't take unnecessary chances with my safety ... Sharing a hostel room with strangers is just plain not safe and I will not risk my safety just to save a few bucks.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:38 PM

55,659 posts, read 74,595,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
I'm 37 years old and wanted to know if anyone my age (or older) has ever stayed in any? I thought they were mainly for younger people, but not sure. Any complaints or praises?
yes i just stayed in khouse in kyoto japan got back 3 hours ago. its great.
let me know if you wana see pictures and i can post on this thread if you want.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:59 PM

3,111 posts, read 7,016,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
I don't ... I've traveled solo many times these past few years and utilized mass transit to get around ... I've ignored the naysayers who were cautioning me against traveling solo to NYC and relying on their subway system. I don't allow fear to rule my life but I also don't take unnecessary chances with my safety ... Sharing a hostel room with strangers is just plain not safe and I will not risk my safety just to save a few bucks.

That just doesn't make any sense. How is sharing a room with strangers more riskier than any other activity involving people whom you don't know?

Either you are lying to yourself regarding fear, or maybe have watched the movie Hostel too much.

Really, bad things happen everywhere. Whether in the subway of NYC, an upscale hotel, or a hostel, life is unpredictable.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:26 PM

38,854 posts, read 20,160,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post
That just doesn't make any sense. How is sharing a room with strangers more riskier than any other activity involving people whom you don't know?

Either you are lying to yourself regarding fear, or maybe have watched the movie Hostel too much.

Really, bad things happen everywhere. Whether in the subway of NYC, an upscale hotel, or a hostel, life is unpredictable.
At least on mass transit, you can be alert to your surroundings but how alert are you when you are asleep in a hostel room full of strangers?

I've never seen the movie "Hostel" and no, I don't live a life of fear ... I just try to use my common sense in terms of safety when I travel and in my book, sleeping in a room full of strangers does not feel safe to me.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:01 AM

55,659 posts, read 74,595,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
At least on mass transit, you can be alert to your surroundings but how alert are you when you are asleep in a hostel room full of strangers?

I've never seen the movie "Hostel" and no, I don't live a life of fear ... I just try to use my common sense in terms of safety when I travel and in my book, sleeping in a room full of strangers does not feel safe to me.
i never sleep dormitory anymore. hostels have private rooms with kitchen and bathroom down the hall. i spend a wonderful week cooking with some really great and interesting people and making and learning new dishes.
my fellow travelers also kept me abreast of the local sights to see.

Old 09-13-2011, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i never sleep dormitory anymore. hostels have private rooms with kitchen and bathroom down the hall. i spend a wonderful week cooking with some really great and interesting people and making and learning new dishes.
my fellow travelers also kept me abreast of the local sights to see.
That's the thing - you can always stay in a private room if you're concerned about the safety of the dorm. This would allow you to experience how good a hostel can be and will still give you the chance to meet lots of interesting people (although you obviously meet more if you share a room with others), without the fear that someone's going to kill you whilst you sleep.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:51 AM

1,480 posts, read 4,479,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Hostels in USA are completely useless, they are more expensive or the same price as many lower priced hotels. I'd stay in a motel six or equivlent than a hostel.
You've obviously never been to Gram's Place in Tampa, then.

Gram's Place Hostel in Tampa, Florida

Old 09-13-2011, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Roamer View Post
You've obviously never been to Gram's Place in Tampa, then.

Gram's Place Hostel in Tampa, Florida
That's a cool place.

I've stayed in hostels in NY, LA, San Diego, Las Vegas, Portland, Seattle, SF, Chicago and Nashville (pretty awful hostel). On the whole, the hostels were adequate but poor in comparison to some of the places i've stayed in Europe, South America and Australia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel