U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 10:33 PM

14,258 posts, read 23,979,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Just because flights are full does not mean that they are within the price range of the average traveler. Most folks can only afford to take a vacation once every few years due to the high cost of flying plus hotel costs.

You live in Los Angeles per your description which had five or six airports and is one of the MOST COMPETITIVE airline markets in the US. You can get flights to many western cities for $49-79 with 2 weeks advanced purchase.

Add is that the hotel industry has been in recession the past two or three years and the presence of opaque sites like Hotwire and Priceline, it sure would seem that many should be able to afford air travel and the related costs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 10:53 PM

38,854 posts, read 20,160,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
You live in Los Angeles per your description which had five or six airports and is one of the MOST COMPETITIVE airline markets in the US. You can get flights to many western cities for $49-79 with 2 weeks advanced purchase.

Add is that the hotel industry has been in recession the past two or three years and the presence of opaque sites like Hotwire and Priceline, it sure would seem that many should be able to afford air travel and the related costs.
Western cities - you can find good deals but there's not much I really want to see on the western side of the US ...

Old 07-30-2011, 06:21 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,577,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MINresident View Post
I agree that low pay can be frustrating. But I don't think pay should determine your work ethic. I grew up like most teenagers working low paying low skill jobs. But even at minimum wage, I would always go the extra mile for the customer... solving problems, getting managers when it was requsted, answering questions with a smile. The whole "I get paid minimum wage so I should treat people like crap" is pathetic. I know a lot of Americans tie their work ethic to their pay, thinking "Why should I help this company which pays me nothing." I just wish everyone would go the extra mile. Some people never learn...
I don't think people need to go the "extra mile" if there's no incentive to do so.

Some do their job and that's it. And that's OK with me. As long as they are polite, I don't expect anything else from them. I don't get on a plane to make friends, get great service, or pretty much anything else except to safely get from place to place.

Do I have a problem with rudeness? Of course. I've run into some FA's whose behavior could never be called anything but rude--and certainly that's unacceptable. But the overall percentage of FA's I encounter are at least neutral if not pleasant, I've encountered very few FA's who were actually rude. I've actually found more "weird" than rude. I'll never forget a flight from CLT to PHX, the FC FA had the entire FC section falling over themselves laughing due to her bizarre behavior.

Of course sometimes you run into a FA who is just genuinely nice, who has it in their core to make people happy. I ran into one of them last week. I finished a meeting very early and got on an earlier flight as a standby. FC was full, so I ended up in coach. One of the FA's recognized me as one of her "regulars" and knows I am an elite, and quietly offered to bring me a complimentary glass of wine from FC. That's a great example of customer service. But it wasn't something that should ever be expected or demanded.

Old 07-30-2011, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Well ... No one's forcing them to take those jobs ... Customers pay good money to fly and should not be subjected to the surliness of a disgruntled employee.
One more time. What is the actual ratio of "surly" FA's you've encountered?

You seem to be basing your comments on one bad experience with one FA.

Old 07-30-2011, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Western cities - you can find good deals but there's not much I really want to see on the western side of the US ...
So what are you proposing? That airlines offer discounts to people who can't afford to travel to the places they want to go? You keep complaining that it's too expensive to fly to anywhere except places you don't want to go--but yet you don't want to explain how that's anyone's problem but your own or how it should be remedied.

Old 07-30-2011, 07:25 AM

492 posts, read 1,240,778 times
Default Check this out for Eastern Places to Go

Quote:
Here is a site that might help you see the East Coast:
http://getawayfinder.southwest.com/?int=VASTTVLGUIDBANNER101123#!stars%3D3%26location DepartureSDN%3D40%26departure_price%3D101%26return _price%3D118%26location%3DOrlando%2C%20FL%26person s%3D2%26dateFrom%3D09/28/2011%26dateTo%3D09/30/2011%26budget%3D0%26theme%3Dshow_everything%26swa_ airport_code%3DMCO%26

Old 07-30-2011, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Nah you aren't crazy, Annerk is feeding you some false info that 737 seat pitch are all 32 inches.

Southwest 32-33"
Delta 31-32"
American 31", or 31-32"
(United no 737)

An inch or two might not seem like a lot but can make a difference in how squeezed you feel.

Source:
Southwest Airlines: Best Seats - SeatGuru
Delta Air Lines: Best Seats - SeatGuru
American Airlines: Best Seats - SeatGuru
United Airlines: Best Seats - SeatGuru
The majority of equipment on all of those carriers has a 32" pitch. Often there will be a single row that has a slightly longer pitch, often because it's an exit row. There will also sometimes be a single row or couple of rows (often the last row in the plane and the bulkhead row) that has a shorter pitch--which is why you see a lower number. And one more thing--the padding on the seat can actually affect the pitch. So a seat with minimal padding might on paper look like a seat with more room (which it might have) but you would be sitting in a seat with less padding.

So without really looking at the facts, you might think that the pitch is longer or shorter, when in fact it's not in 95% of the seats on any given plane. Frankly I think a lot of people just have it in their minds that something sucks and there's nothing anyone will ever do to change that, even if their opinion is not based on fact but rather an assumption.

Last edited by annerk; 07-30-2011 at 09:18 AM..

Old 07-30-2011, 09:46 AM

Quote:
It's not just a matter of being a hub but just the distance ... Orlando is much closer to many neat destinations versus California. Yes, I can do SFO and SEA cheaper but I've already been there, done that. Hawaii is just plain expensive period due to its popularity and distance so I cannot afford to go there. What are my other options? The east coast with its many varied destinations, the Caribbean, Bahamas, Jamaica and Europe is far cheaper from Orlando than from LAX ...
That is simply a subjective statement. Many on the east coast would say the same thing about living on the west coast. You have plenty of options, you just don't want to go to them. There's a big difference between "can't get anywhere cheap" and "can't get anywhere I want to go cheap."

Many people in this area would give their eye teeth for $79 r/t flights to LAS or SFO! And because there's minimal competition here (we don't have four international airports within a 30 mile radius) and we're not a hub, we pay more per mile than you do. That's a fact.

Old 07-30-2011, 11:37 AM

8,266 posts, read 10,706,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
The majority of equipment on all of those carriers has a 32" pitch. Often there will be a single row that has a slightly longer pitch, often because it's an exit row.
You are just manufacturing information as it pops into your head here. Southwest's pitch is slightly longer because they have a different configuration due to no first class cabin, and the bigger exit rows certainly isn't accounting for the 1" the difference in that row is much larger than an inch.

Southwest capacity and average seat pitch:
737-700 137 33.25"
737-500 122 32.57"
737-300 137 32.36"

Meanwhile SeatGuru says this about the American 737-800-2:

"This version of the 737-800 has 12 additional Economy seats, reduced seat pitch, thinner seats, a smaller bulkhead divider between the two cabins and two fewer cabinets behind the last row."

Are you seriously arguing that SW 737s having 32-33" seat pitch versus 31-32" for Delta is because Delta has a couple smaller rows in the back (which Southwest doesn't) and Southwest has exit rows that are 1" bigger but Delta doesn't?

Quote:
And one more thing--the padding on the seat can actually affect the pitch. So a seat with minimal padding might on paper look like a seat with more room (which it might have) but you would be sitting in a seat with less padding.
This is funny, you have obviously have no clue about that which you are feigning expertise. Seat pitch is the distance from a point on one seat to the exact same point on another, how much cushioning is on the seat does not factor into the equation:

Airline seat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"the space between a point on one seat and the same point on the seat in front of it."

Sure the padding can affect actual available passenger space but for the seating statistics you see online seat pitch is going to be the point-to-point definition, you could just as easily pick a spot where seats attach to the floor.

Quote:
So without really looking at the facts [...] even if their opinion is not based on fact but rather an assumption.
Irony.

What are you going to make up next, that passengers with bigger noses have less seat pitch?

Old 07-30-2011, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
You are just manufacturing information as it pops into your head here. Southwest's pitch is slightly longer because they have a different configuration due to no first class cabin, and the bigger exit rows certainly isn't accounting for the 1" the difference in that row is much larger than an inch.

Southwest capacity and average seat pitch:
737-700 137 33.25"
737-500 122 32.57"
737-300 137 32.36"

Meanwhile SeatGuru says this about the American 737-800-2:

"This version of the 737-800 has 12 additional Economy seats, reduced seat pitch, thinner seats, a smaller bulkhead divider between the two cabins and two fewer cabinets behind the last row."

Are you seriously arguing that SW 737s having 32-33" seat pitch versus 31-32" for Delta is because Delta has a couple smaller rows in the back (which Southwest doesn't but some of their exit rows have no extra room per seatguru) and Southwest has exit rows that are 1" bigger (not all according to seatguru) but Delta doesn't?

This is funny, you have obviously have no clue about that which you are feigning expertise. Seat pitch is the distance from a point on one seat to the exact same point on another, how much cushioning is on the seat does not factor into the equation:

Airline seat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"the space between a point on one seat and the same point on the seat in front of it."

Sure the padding can affect actual available passenger space but for the seating statistics you see online seat pitch is going to be the point-to-point definition, you could just as easily pick a spot where seats attach to the floor.

Irony.

What are you going to make up next, that passengers with bigger noses have less seat pitch?
(My comments in red above)

I shouldn't have used the term pitch, but rather "space." The cushioning most definitely factors into the space equation. If you have 32" and the cushion is 3" think versus 1" you've lost 2" of space between you and the seat in front of you--however you've gained a plusher seat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or