U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 01:57 PM

492 posts, read 1,242,170 times

Advertisements

Here's ALL the info you need, Annerk is correct. Airline Seating Charts - Best Airplane Seats - SeatGuru
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 02:01 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,645,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Maybe so. But if I'm driving there anyway, I'll sure take along a passenger or two a lot cheaper than the airline will.
That's not always an option.

If I drove to see my customers or family instead of flying, I'd spend four days just driving back and forth. Not exactly productive. And unless I'm picking up hitchhikers along the side of the road, taking passengers isn't exactly going to work either.

Old 07-29-2011, 02:03 PM

38,894 posts, read 20,188,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Considering that every plane I've been on lately has flown full with standbys left at the gate, air travel is obviously not out of the question for millions of people a year. It's not just the wealthy who are flying, either.
Just because flights are full does not mean that they are within the price range of the average traveler. Most folks can only afford to take a vacation once every few years due to the high cost of flying plus hotel costs.

Old 07-29-2011, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Yup ... The more passengers in the car, the cheaper the trip becomes if everyone contributes towards the cost. Also, it is cheaper for a large family to drive versus fly as gas prices are not "per person" as with the airline.
You assume that everyone who flies is going with a large family or a bunch of passengers.

You also assume that everyone who flies has all the time in the world to get there and back.

Old 07-29-2011, 02:05 PM

Quote:
I gave you the configurations, they are the all the same.
I know you did but I still feel that I have more space when I fly Southwest ... I just flew Delta a few short weeks ago and did not feel as if I had the same amount of leg room that I am accustomed to on a Southwest flight. *shrug*

Old 07-29-2011, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Just because flights are full does not mean that they are within the price range of the average traveler. Most folks can only afford to take a vacation once every few years due to the high cost of flying plus hotel costs.
I disagree. Over half the people I know have taken a non-business related airplane flight in the past year--and that goes from people making $10 an hour to multi-millionaires. Also we are talking about air travel, not hotel rooms. Not everyoen who flies has to get a hotel room, many stay with family or friends.

Old 07-29-2011, 02:08 PM

Quote:
That's not always an option.

If I drove to see my customers or family instead of flying, I'd spend four days just driving back and forth. Not exactly productive. And unless I'm picking up hitchhikers along the side of the road, taking passengers isn't exactly going to work either.
Then you are a business traveler then who flies frequently that you accumulate miles faster than the average traveler and can benefit from frequent mileage programs. The average traveler travels much more infrequently.

Old 07-29-2011, 02:10 PM

Quote:
You assume that everyone who flies is going with a large family or a bunch of passengers.

You also assume that everyone who flies has all the time in the world to get there and back.
No ... I am not assuming anything ... I'm just pointing out a perk of driving versus flying because you stated that flying is often cheaper than driving. Obviously, since the planes are pretty packed, driving is not practical for many folks due to time restraints and other considerations. I don't even HAVE the option of driving as I don't even have a driver's license so flying is my only option if I need to get to another state, etc.

Old 07-29-2011, 02:11 PM

8,266 posts, read 10,720,413 times
Quote:
I'm a business traveler. What am I supposed to do, stop a meeting at the 24 hour mark to check in so I don't end up sandwiched in the middle seat of the last row between a lady with a 40 pound lap baby and a sumo wrestler?
If you travel regularly on SW for business you'd get upgraded to where you end up in priority boarding and have your choice of good seats. Otherwise just pay $10 for early-bird.

I actually find SW less stressful for general boarding for a couple reasons:

1. With numerical order boarding there is no mosh pit for each boarding group

2. Without the bag charges less people feeling compelled to bring too much crap as carryon

Old 07-29-2011, 02:12 PM

4,919 posts, read 19,883,813 times
Quote:
Sorry Annerk but the tickets usually are not reasonable for the average traveler which is why I don't travel as much as I'd like to.
So take the bus!

Airline tickets are cheap, very cheap, and you are getting exactly what you pay for. You want a Rolex watch at Walmart prices, Get real!

As for the expense and not being able to afford it, that;s your problem because you have low income and high expenses. If you made a lot of money and had little expenses, you probably wouldn;t be complaining about the price.

You may think you desreve more for the price your paying but the airline is actually giving you more service than your ticket pays for. The fact that you personally don;t make enough money to afford the better service available (first - Business - premium class) doen;t mean the airline owes you that service. You are getting the level of service for the what your paying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or