U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-29-2011, 02:38 PM
 
Location: The Chatterdome in La La Land, CaliFUNia
38,854 posts, read 20,164,866 times
Reputation: 35902

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
As long as I buy the ticket in advance, it costs me less to fly to see my mother 1200 miles away than it would to drive given the cost of gas and tolls. That doesn't include an oil change at the end of the trip and wear and tear on my car.
That's because you are driving solo ... For you, it isn't practical to drive versus fly and neither is that an option for me. For many others, driving can be cheaper than flying if traveling in a group where costs can be split up. It really depends upon the circumstances so a blanket statement of flying is cheaper than driving is not always true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-29-2011, 02:48 PM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,590,084 times
Reputation: 13019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Annerk ... These are people that YOU know ... Out of the people that I know personally who make much more than $10 per hour cannot afford a trip every year. I can barely afford it myself but I travel anyways because I only have one life to live and determined to enjoy my life. Also, correct me if I'm wrong but don't you live in Orlando? It is way more cheaper for someone in the Orlando area to fly coach to NYC, Bahamas, Caribbean, etc. than for someone on the West Coast to visit these same locales.
Again you make assumptions that I know nobody outside of Orlando and that they are all going to the Bahamas.

My Orlando area friend who makes $9 an hour just got back from a trip to visit family in MA. My cousin from Seattle who works at a Starbucks (go figure) just got back from a trip to Atlanta to visit her fiances parents. The list goes on. The point is that you are making a lot of assumptions that are incorrect, only because YOU can't afford to travel like you would like to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2011, 02:53 PM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,590,084 times
Reputation: 13019
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Now you are changing the context. You were specifically dismissing Southwest because:

"to check in so I don't end up sandwiched in the middle seat of the last row between a lady with a 40 pound lap baby and a sumo wrestler?"

That doesn't make sense as it isn't a valid concern for a regular business traveler on Southwest, that is what I was pointing out. I'm not saying Southwest is best for you, or that you don't have other business traveler advantages on another airline, but your quoted argument above against Southwest isn't really one at all.
OK, so bottom line, I book a legacy and can choose my seat in the front of the plane (ie overhead space) at no additional cost, and then check in at my convenience any time 24 hours prior to the flight and 99.9% of the time still ahve the seat I chose without paying extra, playing a check in game, or being an elite on that carrier. Hmmm...

PS--I go carryon only 80% of the time. Not beause I'm too cheap to pay the checked bag fee, but rather because time is money, my 20" rollon fits in the overhead and small personal item goes under the seat in front of me, and that way I don't ahve to wait for up to an hour for my bags to come out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2011, 02:56 PM
 
Location: The Chatterdome in La La Land, CaliFUNia
38,854 posts, read 20,164,866 times
Reputation: 35902
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Again you make assumptions that I know nobody outside of Orlando and that they are all going to the Bahamas.

My Orlando area friend who makes $9 an hour just got back from a trip to visit family in MA. My cousin from Seattle who works at a Starbucks (go figure) just got back from a trip to Atlanta to visit her fiances parents. The list goes on. The point is that you are making a lot of assumptions that are incorrect, only because YOU can't afford to travel like you would like to.
Sorry if my post was confusing but what I was trying to say is that someone from Orlando has more cheaper traveling options than someone from the West Coast. I did not mean to imply that all your buddies are flying to the Bahamas. I would personally love to visit more places on the East Coast but a coach ticket is often out of my price range. I have very little desire to see the states that are near me and Hawaii is just too expensive of a flight to even consider visiting. If I were living in the Orlando area, I could travel more places cheaper, including Europe, Bahamas, NYC, etc ... I know this because my Orlando friend tells me how much flights are for him.

In summary, my options are limited where I live and so coach is often too cost-prohibitive for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2011, 03:06 PM
 
8,266 posts, read 10,709,129 times
Reputation: 4769
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
OK, so bottom line, I book a legacy and can choose my seat in the front of the plane (ie overhead space) at no additional cost, and then check in at my convenience any time 24 hours prior to the flight and 99.9% of the time still ahve the seat I chose without paying extra, playing a check in game, or being an elite on that carrier. Hmmm...
Makes sense.

Not the same as worrying you'll be in row 40 on Southwest as business traveler, but makes sense.

Quote:
PS--I go carryon only 80% of the time. Not beause I'm too cheap to pay the checked bag fee, but rather because time is money, my 20" rollon fits in the overhead and small personal item goes under the seat in front of me, and that way I don't ahve to wait for up to an hour for my bags to come out.
I'm with you there, the only time I've checked in recent memory was traveling to a wedding where the combined amount of formal and semiformal clothes between wife and I made it impossible.

There is also the "IF" bag ever comes out after waiting an hour factor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2011, 03:11 PM
 
Location: The Chatterdome in La La Land, CaliFUNia
38,854 posts, read 20,164,866 times
Reputation: 35902
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Makes sense.

Not the same as worrying you'll be in row 40 on Southwest as business traveler, but makes sense.


I'm with you there, the only time I've checked in recent memory was traveling to a wedding where the combined amount of formal and semiformal clothes between wife and I made it impossible.

There is also the "IF" bag ever comes out after waiting an hour factor.
I try to avoid checking in my bags whenever possible but often I am forced to do so because I cannot physically lift my bag into the overhead compartment. This is another reason why I love Southwest because as an infrequent traveler who flies economy, I don't have to pay the checked baggage fees. Also, for the coach passengers who fly the other carriers that charge for bags (Delta, etc), there is no guarantee that there will be space in the overhead bins for your bags so beware ... I nearly had that problem on the way home from NYC but fortunately, the flight attendant was able to squeeze my bag in. It's nice to have the option of checking in bags versus being forced to carry on everything to avoid fees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2011, 03:13 PM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,590,084 times
Reputation: 13019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
That's good that you have that option ... Since you fly so often for business/pleasure, you must have a lot of frequent flyer miles and perhaps, tax write offs for the business travel. As an infrequent flyer, I don't have either perk.
I buy 12 tickets (or more) a year for personal travel as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2011, 03:14 PM
 
4,919 posts, read 19,857,173 times
Reputation: 6215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Boy ... This post is certainly full of assumptions ... Where should we begin?
there is no "assumptions", it is reality!

You are the one applying assumption to the service based on what you want, not on what the service provides. And, you are applying these assuptions in a way you would never apply to other businesses.

Once you say you want a level of service above what your ticket pays for, you are asking for Rolex services at Walmart prices. If you go into a 5 starr resturant and order steak and lobster and pay $$$$s, you should expect the highest levekl of service based on that price, but if you walk into McD's and pay $ for the food, what level of service do you want? Would you expect to be seated at a table with tablecloths, silverwear, a waiter, a gold embossed menue? No you stand in line, order your food and hunt for an open seat. Don;t assume that because you paid a price that you think is high that its a high price for that service.

There are NO INFLEXIBLE CANCELLATION POLICIES! That is a BS myth! Tickets are refundable and can be excahnged for other flights at no cost or hassles to you! Plain and simple! Of course if you purchased a discounted ticket that didn;t have those features, you are the one who bought that LOWER level of service, the airline didn;t force you to buy that type of ticket, you made that choice, so why are you blaming them. You need to look in the mirror for the person who is screwing you.

Plane configurations are soly consumer driven. I know passenegrs who are tall and they don;t have thios issue. they fly airlines with added legroom and they pay in their ticket price for that added legroom. Just like if they are tall they don't buy subcompact cars if the leg room isn;t sufficient for them. Just like they buy higher price "talls" at the clothing store a=instead of compaling that they can't get a 32 X 38 pair of pants at KMart for $12.99! Airlines squish seats in because consumers want cheap prices. To cover some cost they have to carry more passenegers to make the revenue to possibly cover the cost with those cheap ticket prices that consumers (like you) are demanding.

if you can;t afford the ticket prices, that's yuur problem. Where does it say that you have a right to a airline ticket with the ammenatoes you want at the price you feel you can afford. Would you demand and expect to be given skybox seatinga nd service at nose bleed bleecher prices because that's all you can afford? You would never think that is reasonable, buyt that is exactly what your saying about airline tickets prices.

The fact that you want airline tickets to be cheaper doen;t mean it should be. heck i wanted cheaper room rates at the Hotel hermitage in Monacco to be half the price, because thats all I can afford, Are you saying they needed to accomodate me for what I wanted to pay? Yeah Right!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2011, 03:15 PM
 
Location: The Chatterdome in La La Land, CaliFUNia
38,854 posts, read 20,164,866 times
Reputation: 35902
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I buy 12 tickets (or more) a year for personal travel as well.
Ok, then that's even MORE frequent flyer miles for you ... With your combined business and personal travel, you fly much more frequently than your average flyer which kinda puts you out of touch with the needs of most economy flyers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2011, 03:18 PM
 
Location: The Chatterdome in La La Land, CaliFUNia
38,854 posts, read 20,164,866 times
Reputation: 35902
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
there is no "assumptions", it is reality!

You are the one applying assumption to the service based on what you want, not on what the service provides. And, you are applying these assuptions in a way you would never apply to other businesses.

Once you say you want a level of service above what your ticket pays for, you are asking for Rolex services at Walmart prices. If you go into a 5 starr resturant and order steak and lobster and pay $$$$s, you should expect the highest levekl of service based on that price, but if you walk into McD's and pay $ for the food, what level of service do you want? Would you expect to be seated at a table with tablecloths, silverwear, a waiter, a gold embossed menue? No you stand in line, order your food and hunt for an open seat. Don;t assume that because you paid a price that you think is high that its a high price for that service.

There are NO INFLEXIBLE CANCELLATION POLICIES! That is a BS myth! Tickets are refundable and can be excahnged for other flights at no cost or hassles to you! Plain and simple! Of course if you purchased a discounted ticket that didn;t have those features, you are the one who bought that LOWER level of service, the airline didn;t force you to buy that type of ticket, you made that choice, so why are you blaming them. You need to look in the mirror for the person who is screwing you.

Plane configurations are soly consumer driven. I know passenegrs who are tall and they don;t have thios issue. they fly airlines with added legroom and they pay in their ticket price for that added legroom. Just like if they are tall they don't buy subcompact cars if the leg room isn;t sufficient for them. Just like they buy higher price "talls" at the clothing store a=instead of compaling that they can't get a 32 X 38 pair of pants at KMart for $12.99! Airlines squish seats in because consumers want cheap prices. To cover some cost they have to carry more passenegers to make the revenue to possibly cover the cost with those cheap ticket prices that consumers (like you) are demanding.

if you can;t afford the ticket prices, that's yuur problem. Where does it say that you have a right to a airline ticket with the ammenatoes you want at the price you feel you can afford. Would you demand and expect to be given skybox seatinga nd service at nose bleed bleecher prices because that's all you can afford? You would never think that is reasonable, buyt that is exactly what your saying about airline tickets prices.

The fact that you want airline tickets to be cheaper doen;t mean it should be. heck i wanted cheaper room rates at the Hotel hermitage in Monacco to be half the price, because thats all I can afford, Are you saying they needed to accomodate me for what I wanted to pay? Yeah Right!
So because I pay less for my ticket, I am entitled to be treated in a rude fashion? Even McDonald's doesn't stoop as low as some airline employees can ...

By the way, it is obvious that you failed to read my entire post ... I am entirely ok with coach but was pointing out areas that could be improved. I did NOT state anything about first-class amenities (which hardly justifies the overbloated prices of first-class IMO). I'm more than happy to supply my own meals (or pay for one) and I personally don't need extra room. I just want to be treated with the same level of courtesy as you would expect from other service industries.

Maybe you might want to enroll in a reading class at your local community college to assist you with reading comprehension.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top