U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2011, 03:54 PM

4,486 posts, read 15,290,033 times

Advertisements

Here's the deal, I call my parents every week on Saturday to see how they are, visit a bit, etc etc. Called them this morning and talked for probably a half hour. Usually we just talk a bit about how everything is going, they always want me to drive to their house and check up on it- make sure everything is ok, etc etc. Was talking to mom and she sounded a bit down, asked why and she said she misses seeing all her kids/grandkids, etc. When my dad and her are living in Phoenix, she'll often see my sister and I (along with my sister's kids) every week or sometimes more. I have two other brothers- one living in Dallas and one is...well not exactly sure, last I talked to him he was living in Mesa but he moves around quite a bit. She doesn't see much of either of them.

My parents are both retired, beginning of the baby boomers generation. All 4 of us kids are in our late 20's, early 30's so we've been out of the house a while. My nieces/nephews are younger, I think range in age from 5-8.

So I mentioned possibly having a family vacation like we used to have (well...about 20 years ago). Mom really jumped at this idea and now is DEAD SET on having a family vacation with her kids and grandkids. Didn't really think it through too much but with opening my mouth, I guess I volunteered to research some ideas a bit.

Completely don't know where to start, my mind is beyond boggled. Has anyone take a vacation with their adult kids/grandkids? What did you do? Where did you go?

This afternoon I've been trying to come up with some ideas, don't have a timeframe set yet and haven't even talked to other siblings about it yet (besides sister- she's for it).

Walt Disneyworld?
Week-Long Cruise?
Some type of All-Inclusive resort?

I'm trying to take into account there will be a few younger kids (no teenagers though). So wanting to look for places that will keep both us adults and younger ones entertained for probably a week.

Ideas? Help!

Price? Parents will pay for it, not too worried about cost. Just want some ideas right now!

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2011, 05:43 PM

3,693 posts, read 8,346,538 times
I think your options sound good. Disney might be a little difficult for the "older" generations to enjoy.

If I was planning a large family reunion type vacation, I would go for the cruise or All-inclulsive option. That eleiminates the concern about who pays for what, and there are pleny of options to enjoy when you need to get away from the rest of family for a while.

I'm not a cruise person but I know many people like cruising so I will try to be objective here. The biggest issue I see cruising with a large group is the set dinner times (don't work for everyone) and the planning required on days in port to meet up with everyone if you choose to do something together that day. At an all-inclusive, you can set up a "home base" at the pool or beach somewhere that people can go to meet up, but you can come and go as you please.

Have fun! Don't overplan. Enjoy.

Old 07-25-2011, 07:07 AM

737 posts, read 2,250,184 times
If they're paying, ask them and then arrange it for them.

What kind of vacation was she thinking about from 20 years ago? Maybe try to arrange something like that.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:22 PM

39,554 posts, read 47,780,182 times
Cruises are fantastic for all ages. Something for everyone to do and enjoy.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:57 PM

19,828 posts, read 56,050,708 times
I know 2 sets of people in their 70-80s who love to cruise w/the family. Most cruise ships have programs for the kids onboard.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 07-25-2011, 10:32 PM

1,238 posts, read 4,041,630 times
We had family vacations this year on BOTH my and my husband's side. This is what we did:
My side ranged in age from 71 (my dad) to 6 (my niece). Since my folks had never travelled out of the country, we went to Puerto Rico. Spent 2 days on the main island touring Old San Juan, and El Yunque Rain Forest. Then flew over to island of Vieques where we rented a house with a private pool. Spent the week fishing, snorkeling, beaching, horseback riding, scooters, shopping, diving, cooking group meals and eating out. We allowed time for individual interests as well as group activities.
On my husband's side we had ages 67 to under 1. This time we drove to a peninsula in Florida where we had again rented a house. Most of the time was spent on the beach, fishing, sunset cruise, antiquing, a marine park, going to a lighthouse, etc. Again, allowing time for individuals or families to do their own thing as well as group activities was key.
My thoughts on a cruise: they can be fun with a group, but it is very easy to lose track of each other among so many people. A lot of cell phones won't work at sea, so communication can be difficult.
An all-inclusive resort could be a great idea. We had some frequent travelers that refused to do the resorts, so had to scrap that plan.
Allow MUCH more time for planning than you think. We started 2 years ahead of time for my family, because of work schedules, school, etc. The location changed 3 times (cost, availability, amenities, etc.). Fortunately we all agreed that we wanted to go to a beach.
Take a poll among all that will be going to see what interests them.
Make as many arrangements as possible in advance for group activities-and don't overbook your days. Groups move much more slowly than small families.
Good luck!

Old 07-29-2011, 05:48 AM

2,013 posts, read 4,998,594 times
The cruise idea is great, depending on where you go you may need to make sure the whole passport issue for everyone is up to date. There are several lines that cater to families and provide activities for the "junior" "tween" or "teen" aged children. As one of the above posters said, cell phones do not work at sea, so staying in touch is a bit of an issue.

If you want to do a summer/beach vacation~many families have rented houses at the Outer Banks, some of them accomodate up to 20 people or they'll rent two next to each other and try to get at least one with a pool.

The Beaches all inclusives are also great for families, everyone can more or less do what they want, eat where/when they want, and there are plenty of provided activities for all ages. Again, you'll have to make sure passports are up to date, since most of them are out of the US.

Disney offers the options of several days in the parks followed by the cruise for a few days, so that may be worth looking in to. Caution on Disney though is that depending on when you travel, it can be exhausting scheduling the transportation (even with staying in a Disney property hotel) getting through the parks, the rides, the lines, the restaurants etc. If you plan far enough in advance for your meals, at least you could all meet for the appointed time at such restaurant.

Old 07-29-2011, 02:11 PM

460 posts, read 1,062,988 times
We have had a couple of family reunions at all-inclusive resorts. We are doing it again this November. As mentioned above, it works well because people can do what they want, whenever they want. People can choose to eat at different places or sit in their room and relax if they want. I'm not a big fan of cruises, but many people love them. Same concept as an all-inclusive, but I like to be able to walk down the beach whenever I want and go on an excursion when I want to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or