U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2011, 03:23 PM

56,004 posts, read 54,508,374 times

Advertisements

My daughter will be going to school in China at the end of August. We just received the paperwork telling us the date, and so I'm looking for a ticket.

She's going to Chengdu. Air China flies from JFK to Shanghai and then the last leg to Chengdu for about $800 economy.

Continental flies from EWR (easier for us) to Beijing and then she catches an Air China flight to Chengdu for about $1400 economy.

I don't mind paying the extra money but I'm wondering what's the reason for the big difference. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2011, 04:24 PM

8,565 posts, read 11,065,012 times
The difference is how full the plane is and the route. Talk to a good travel agent. CO also flies to HK and Shanghai, all from EWR. I just got a smoking deal from IAH to Shanghai via EWR, just because there isn't a lot of knowledge of the route.

All things being equal I'd rather be in CO or Asiana economy than Air China's.

Old 07-24-2011, 05:43 PM

8,266 posts, read 10,705,471 times
The Continental flight is 75% higher, that is pretty significant for a single leg since the Chengdu part is a wash. To me economy class is economy class, I'm going to suffer either way so I'd try to save the $600. I bet if you offered your daughter the $600 in cash for extra spending money in school if she took Air China she'd jump all over it.

Old 07-24-2011, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
The Continental flight is 75% higher, that is pretty significant for a single leg since the Chengdu part is a wash. To me economy class is economy class, I'm going to suffer either way so I'd try to save the $600. I bet if you offered your daughter the $600 in cash for extra spending money in school if she took Air China she'd jump all over it.

LOL, good point. I am not experienced at foreign travel (unless you count a couple of trips to the Bahamas ) and wasn't sure if there was any significant difference in the two airlines.

Old 07-24-2011, 09:43 PM

4,836 posts, read 10,183,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
LOL, good point. I am not experienced at foreign travel (unless you count a couple of trips to the Bahamas ) and wasn't sure if there was any significant difference in the two airlines.
Not really both Airlines are fine. Neither is nothing special. Just go with the cheapest flight. As said before the Continental/United flight probably just has more seats sold so they will sell there seats for more now.

Old 07-24-2011, 09:52 PM

16,411 posts, read 26,220,997 times
As the others have already said, save the money. $600 is a lot of money for the difference of EWR vs JFK. I personally would not want to pay an extra $600 dollars for a difference of flying out of EWR over JFK. Although I do know it could be a potential madhouse to drive all the way to JFK if you are on the Newark side

As Slackjaw said, economy is economy. Some better food, better AVOD or a preferred airplane model might be worth an extra $100 or so.. but to pay an extra $600 for economy.. I don't think its worth it.

If she is flying economy, I have a little advice, check in online, and when checking in, look at the seat list, find a row where she can have an empty row, itll be as good as any business class seat (minus the lounge, service benefits, food and LCD screen monitor haha)

Old 07-25-2011, 07:32 AM

The other tip - sign up for United's mileage program. I'd say Continental's, but it it going away at the end of the year.

Both Air China and Continental are Star Alliance airlines. A flight to Chengdu is half way to first tier elite status and a free flight. A round trip nearly makes it there.

Old 07-25-2011, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
As the others have already said, save the money. $600 is a lot of money for the difference of EWR vs JFK. I personally would not want to pay an extra $600 dollars for a difference of flying out of EWR over JFK. Although I do know it could be a potential madhouse to drive all the way to JFK if you are on the Newark side

As Slackjaw said, economy is economy. Some better food, better AVOD or a preferred airplane model might be worth an extra $100 or so.. but to pay an extra $600 for economy.. I don't think its worth it.

If she is flying economy, I have a little advice, check in online, and when checking in, look at the seat list, find a row where she can have an empty row, itll be as good as any business class seat (minus the lounge, service benefits, food and LCD screen monitor haha)
Thanks for the advice. I've passed it along to her, since she's doing the searching herself.

You're not kidding about the PITA of getting to JFK. I live near the upper end of Jersey's ocean coast, and from the Highlands, about 15 minutes from my house, you can see the planes coming into JFK...if I just had a boat to cut across the water, it would be so much easier!

Old 07-25-2011, 02:37 PM

if she's looking use matrixsoftware.ita.com and select the time bars

Old 07-26-2011, 10:40 AM

3,644 posts, read 5,559,073 times
I spend a ferw days vacationing in Chengdu in 2003. It is a beautiful city and less polluted than most of China's cities. I hope your daughter likes crazy spicy food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or