U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 10:27 PM

11,977 posts, read 21,605,859 times

Advertisements

Jetcareers forums register and ask in the appropriate section, you'll get a lot of different answers and lots of good reading material on the site as well. Just get a degree in something useful, and fly on the side or after college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 02:18 PM

24,639 posts, read 24,870,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Was one of the coolest experiences I've ever had. I have always loved flying as a passenger, and have never been bored looking out the window, but flying is a feeling of its own. It was my first flight and I did the takeoff on my own (minus the pedals).

Just wondering from anyone else who has flown, does it ever get old? I think this would be an amazing job.
Congrats, burgler, may you have many more wonderful flights!

Old 07-31-2011, 12:46 PM

1,587 posts, read 3,248,933 times
Congrats!!
My dad loves airplanes and wanted to be a pilot, but way back when they wouldn't let him take the classes because he wore glasses. I keep telling him that he should take lessons!

Old 08-02-2011, 04:58 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,959,094 times
Congratulations.

My younger son took lessons for awhile, and I went along the first time.
I have to admit I was scared to death the entire time, but it certainly was exhilarating flying over the Rockies.

I stayed on the ground the day they practiced stalls.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:53 AM

1,254 posts, read 1,311,134 times
Quote:
Was one of the coolest experiences I've ever had. I have always loved flying as a passenger, and have never been bored looking out the window, but flying is a feeling of its own. It was my first flight and I did the takeoff on my own (minus the pedals).

Just wondering from anyone else who has flown, does it ever get old? I think this would be an amazing job.

Private pilot here with an Instrument rating and 450 hrs. It never gets old, except for flying solo or with another pilot when its VFR weather.

Other than that no it doesn't get old. I'm one of the few pilot who enjoys IFR weather (less than 1000' ceilings) more than a clear day.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:59 AM

3,644 posts, read 5,569,282 times
Quote:
I would probably go back to college for aviation. Like I said, this has been an interest of mine all my life, and I have been looking into it for about a year now. I just finally took my first flight and absolutely loved it, i'm just kicking myself now for not doing this before I chose a bunch of other majors I had no interest in. I don't know a TON about the academic process though, I have seen a lot of differing information, sites have said its not very standardized. What is the best route to take or that I should start looking up more?
Burgler, you should have mentioned something a year ago when I was still in Miami. I would have taken you up in my plane. I've been flying for fun (private pilot) for about 17 years and it never gets old.

What plane did you fly in? 152? 172? Which airport are you flying out of? I mostly flew out of Tamiami and sometimes Homestead.

Old 08-03-2011, 12:50 PM

4,836 posts, read 10,209,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Jetcareers forums register and ask in the appropriate section, you'll get a lot of different answers and lots of good reading material on the site as well. Just get a degree in something useful, and fly on the side or after college.
Second that! When I was thinking about becoming a pilot one day I spent hours a day on that site. This is where you want to ask these questions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel