Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 06:41 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times

Advertisements

Was one of the coolest experiences I've ever had. I have always loved flying as a passenger, and have never been bored looking out the window, but flying is a feeling of its own. It was my first flight and I did the takeoff on my own (minus the pedals).

Just wondering from anyone else who has flown, does it ever get old? I think this would be an amazing job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 06:46 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,002,846 times
No it never gets old, Just wait till you solo, without the flight Instr weight in the plane the plane will jump off the runway.

Old 07-25-2011, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
No it never gets old, Just wait till you solo, without the flight Instr weight in the plane the plane will jump off the runway.
Do you fly commercial?

Old 07-25-2011, 06:54 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,002,846 times
I ride Commercial (would much rater be up front but.. FAA TSA Airlines.... seem to object) ,
I fly Private.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:39 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,007,002 times
Does it get old? No I dont think it does. I dont fly much too busy with school but once I can calm down with school I want to get my PPL, IFR and Commercial. But as for a job thats a whole different story. See being a pilot is NOT a job it is a lifestyle. I think it would be an awesome job but at the same time, pay is terrible for most pilots, the lifestyle is hard and job security is even worse. But of coruse it is an awesome job! If you like it keep at it. Get your private and take it one step at a time.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:50 PM

Ive been considering this for over a year now, and finally took the plunge and did my first intro lesson and it was awesome. Flying has always been a passion of mine and I regret not doing this earlier. I think most fields you go into after studying in college, you will put your life into it. So you should really choose something you love. I've been studying things on and off that I don't care about because of the money and its only landed me in debt. I'm gonna do some more flying lessons and see how things go.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:51 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,448,042 times
I have over 6,000 hours an ATP and a type, not yet 30, and it never gets old. In fact it just gets better the more high performance equipment you operate. Skimming the cloud tops @ 400 mph, zooming in and out of building thunderstorms like canyons, taking off and hitting the clouds @ 200' only to see the ground again back at 200' appear thru the fog, nope never gets old. Flying small airplanes did after a while though, I much prefer the airlines. Much quieter, more comfortable, smoother, and someone else to do all the work for you and all you do is operate the plane, which is all we want to do anyway .

As far as lifestyle that is right, although you do get a lot more days off. I had 13(?), but I worked a ton made almost 12k. Month before that I had 23 days off and only made around 6k. You want to work? You get paid. You want to take it easy? Sure go ahead, your choice. Pay starts low but gets better pretty quick.

Old 07-25-2011, 10:05 PM

1,096 posts, read 4,526,876 times
Anyone who has an interest in flying but it's too expensive or not sure if you want to commit to lessons.

Groupon and living social have flying lesson deals fairly often. In Chicago they have had probably about 6 in the past 2-3 months, all at various small airports with various companies.

I bought one for the private airport at midway for my dad for fathers day, he's too scared to do it so I wound up buying a cool gift for myself.

Old 07-25-2011, 10:08 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,680,385 times
No it doesn;t get old and the more places you go, the more exciting it becomes. The only thing our Captain tells us is that often time flying an aircraft like ours beomes more technical and less flying. He owns some older Korean War era prop fighter and we can always tell when he took it out during his days off.

Old 07-25-2011, 10:23 PM

I would probably go back to college for aviation. Like I said, this has been an interest of mine all my life, and I have been looking into it for about a year now. I just finally took my first flight and absolutely loved it, i'm just kicking myself now for not doing this before I chose a bunch of other majors I had no interest in. I don't know a TON about the academic process though, I have seen a lot of differing information, sites have said its not very standardized. What is the best route to take or that I should start looking up more?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel