U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-12-2007, 12:51 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,476,400 times
Default Traveling with my Dog for the first time! Help please!

I need to travel next month to Austin, TX. and I am really not comfortable with boarding my Mini Pin. He is a fast and slippery guy and I am fearful that people underestimate how quickly he can get away if he really wants to. I have seen people that have handled him not get how he can be and this makes me realize that I have to take him with me.

I would just like to know as my MP is under 10 lbs., over a year old, and will be traveling with me in Coach as to what to expect. My fears run from one of the Airport Security people demanding I put my dog and his crate through the X-ray machine to sitting for hours on the Tarmac due to flight delay issues and making my baby suffer. I called a few airlines and they advised me to not sedate the dog which makes me worried that he will whine and we'll both be kicked off our flight!

Also, what Airlines and Pet friendly hotels do you feel are the most accommodating?

Thanks!

P.S. This has been x-posted to the Pets/Dog forum also.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2007, 01:20 PM

7,379 posts, read 12,995,145 times
You need a soft sided sherpa type bag for your pup. Different airlines and planes have different clearances. The sherpa bag works best. Your dog will be with you, not on the tarmac. The only way that can happen is if the dog is flying as cargo.

Buy the bag now and start getting your dog used to it. Take him some places in the bag. Short trips at first. My vet also advises against drugs but I know others do it routinely. Next is the hard part. If you want to be able to travel with your pet as a member of the family, it's time to get him firmly under control. You need to be able to call your dog and have him come no matter what or where you are. No hesitation, no running away. It can be done. If you don't know how to do it, get a trainer. You have to be the boss. This is for your peace of mind and your dog's safety. You should be able to take your dog with or leave him with others safely.

Please don't think this is punishment for your dog. He wants to please you and you will be telling him how you want him to act. He will love training and the interaction with you. And he will be able to go with you a lot more. He will be happier when he can go with you.

Last edited by yellowsnow; 08-12-2007 at 01:27 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 08-12-2007, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
You need a soft sided sherpa type bag for your pup. Different airlines and planes have different clearances. The sherpa bag works best. Your dog will be with you, not on the tarmac. The only way that can happen is if the dog is flying as cargo.

Buy the bag now and start getting your dog used to it. Take him some places in the bag. Short trips at first. My vet also advises against drugs but I know others do it routinely. Next is the hard part. If you want to be able to travel with your pet as a member of the family, it's time to get him firmly under control. You need to be able to call your dog and have him come no matter what or where you are. No hesitation, no running away. It can be done. If you don't know how to do it, get a trainer. You have to be the boss. This is for your peace of mind and your dog's safety. You should be able to take your dog with or leave him with others safely.

Please don't think this is punishment for your dog. He wants to please you and you will be telling him how you want him to act. He will love training and the interaction with you. And he will be able to go with you a lot more. He will be happier when he can go with you.
I already have the crate/bag that is the size that most airlines allow. He has been traveling with me in this bag in the car but he cries when inside. He has no problem sleeping in there though.

I am working on the calling/come to me issue. He does it for me perfectly at home, but outside with distractions, he still hesitates. I appreciate your reminding me to work on this as I'm sure it could save his life one day.

How will his crate be handled at the Airport check-in? I just have fears of the Security people giving me a hard time about this. He will not be flying as cargo and will be in Coach with me, so I have to take him as one of my carry on luggage.

Thanks!

Old 08-12-2007, 09:03 PM

7,379 posts, read 12,995,145 times
You just carry him with you. Just like any other carry-on bag. It shouldn't be a problem. When you put him under the seat make sure your feet are right next to him so he can smell you and knows you are there. The noise and vibration of the engines puts most pets right to sleep.

Old 08-12-2007, 09:54 PM

2,522 posts, read 32,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITChick View Post
I need to travel next month to Austin, TX. and I am really not comfortable with boarding my Mini Pin. He is a fast and slippery guy and I am fearful that people underestimate how quickly he can get away if he really wants to. I have seen people that have handled him not get how he can be and this makes me realize that I have to take him with me.

I would just like to know as my MP is under 10 lbs., over a year old, and will be traveling with me in Coach as to what to expect. My fears run from one of the Airport Security people demanding I put my dog and his crate through the X-ray machine to sitting for hours on the Tarmac due to flight delay issues and making my baby suffer. I called a few airlines and they advised me to not sedate the dog which makes me worried that he will whine and we'll both be kicked off our flight!

Also, what Airlines and Pet friendly hotels do you feel are the most accommodating?

Thanks!

P.S. This has been x-posted to the Pets/Dog forum also.
Don't put the dog in cargo, take him on the plane with you. He's small and should fit under the seat. (Also, I don't like the idea of a dog flying cargo to Austin, where it's so hot in the summer. A lot of airlines have restrictions during the summer months anyhow.) If the dog is traveling with the in the cabin, any airlines should be fine. How you dog does really depends on the nature of the dog. Does he feel comfortable in his crate? Does he go to sleep in his crate? When I traveled with a small poodle to Austin and North Carolina, I took him out of the carryone and let him sleep on my lap during the flight. He feel right to sleep.

In regards to sedation. One of the biggest reasons airlines warn no sedation is because many people were using ace-promazine to sedate their pets during travel.This is an extremely strong tranquilizer, and all animals react differently to it, so there is no telling what effect it had on the dog, unless you test it out beforehand, which a lot of people didn't. I do not recommend ace during travel, but a small amount of benadryl is okay. I also think a little valium is okay. the valium wears off quickly and is usually just enough to get the dog on the plane and settled. Once you get to the high altitude, the dogs get sleepy just like we do.

One more thing: call the airline in advance to find out what paperwork they require to bring the pooch onboard. I know with American, no health certificate was required to bring the dog in cargo.

When you bring the animal through security, they will ask you to take the dog out of the bag so you can send the bag through x-ray. You will carry the dog in your arms through the metal detector.

greenie

Old 08-13-2007, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
When I traveled with a small poodle to Austin and North Carolina, I took him out of the carryone and let him sleep on my lap during the flight. He feel right to sleep.
Wow! Which airline was this? I would love to do that as he likes to travel sleeping on my lap. Did any of the passengers complain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine
In regards to sedation. One of the biggest reasons airlines warn no sedation is because many people were using ace-promazine to sedate their pets during travel.This is an extremely strong tranquilizer, and all animals react differently to it, so there is no telling what effect it had on the dog, unless you test it out beforehand, which a lot of people didn't. I do not recommend ace during travel, but a small amount of benadryl is okay. I also think a little valium is okay. the valium wears off quickly and is usually just enough to get the dog on the plane and settled. Once you get to the high altitude, the dogs get sleepy just like we do.
Thanks for the explanation! Benadryl does make him sleepy, but only for an hour. I'm going to see my Vet soon and ask if it's okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine
When you bring the animal through security, they will ask you to take the dog out of the bag so you can send the bag through x-ray. You will carry the dog in your arms through the metal detector.
That is exactly what I was wondering would happen. Whew! That wouldn't be a problem!

Thanks greenie!

Old 03-31-2010, 07:02 PM

1 posts, read 8,792 times
i will be relocating to the philippines next year with my maltese dog. I don't want to put her in the cargo. Doing so will make her sick; it will stress her out. It happened before when i had to leave her at a groomer for few hours; we had to take her to the emergency. Can you tell me what airlines will allow lap dogs travel with you in the ariplane, not in the cargo. Of course, she will be in a special type of kennel; cloth cover and everything. But I am definitely not putting her in the cargo. It will make her sick/ Pls. let me know... anyone... if you know of any idea.

Old 03-31-2010, 07:15 PM

4,919 posts, read 9,269,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloydbeck View Post
i will be relocating to the philippines next year with my maltese dog. I don't want to put her in the cargo. Doing so will make her sick; it will stress her out. It happened before when i had to leave her at a groomer for few hours; we had to take her to the emergency. Can you tell me what airlines will allow lap dogs travel with you in the ariplane, not in the cargo. Of course, she will be in a special type of kennel; cloth cover and everything. But I am definitely not putting her in the cargo. It will make her sick/ Pls. let me know... anyone... if you know of any idea.
NONE from the US. Your dog can not travel in the cabin from the US to the Phillipines. The main carriers prohibut pets int he cabin. Only legitimate service animals are allowed.

Your options are to have it in the cargo hold on your flight, or use a cargo only flight where they are usually kept on the main flight deck.

make sure you have the proper import permits from the Phillipines government and the required health and vacination certificates as required by them listing what they want to see, and that the fees will be paid. Remember, if the dog arrives in any condition but perfect, it will be euthanized without notification or compensation.

Old 03-31-2010, 08:05 PM

15,550 posts, read 17,679,094 times
Unless things have changed, I believe you can pay a fee and transport an animal in a carrier that will fit under the seat in front of you. Any airline website should be able to tell you. Perhaps international travel is different?

Old 03-31-2010, 09:44 PM

4,919 posts, read 9,269,980 times
the op is flying to the Phillipines not some domestic hop, yes things are not the same. Even traveling within the US is different depending on where your going. I've seen people in tears at LAX because they flew from someplace in the US with Fifi in some carry on bag and were denied boarding at the gate because the dog was not allowed in the cabin/ They had to scramble or miss their flight as they made arrangements for a approved airline kennel and another flight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel