U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 06:08 PM

8,341 posts, read 9,801,373 times

Advertisements

36 hours in Newark trying to commute home - and I'm flight crew. Believe it or not, we are not immune to the very system we work for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2008, 11:44 PM

6,239 posts, read 15,448,091 times
I haven't done the "overnight" thing like so many of you have. The worst it got was last year when I was flying from Ft. Myers, FL to Minneapolis, MN with a change of planes at O'Hare in Chicago. Due to air traffic control issues at O'Hare, we boarded the plane late in Ft. Myers by about an hour, and then spent another 45 minutes on the ground before we took off. Then once we reached Chicago, our airplane was having some kind of mechanical difficulty. Meanwhile, it was getting later and later in the evening. Other passengers started joking about renting a car and driving from Chicago to Minneapolis! Finally, we were allowed to board the airplane, but just before we took off, the captain apologized for the delay and said that it was due to a faulty fuel pump, but it was fixed now. I didn't need to know that! I was even less happy when we got to Minneapolis and were about to land, but then had to pull up quickly and do a go around because there was another airplane sitting on our runway. Anyway, the bottom line is that this flight that was supposed to land in Minneapolis at 8:30 didn't land until almost 11:30! That's the last time I flew (except for the trip from Minneapolis back to L.A., and that was delayed in St. Louis by two hours, again because of a faulty airplane; they tried to fix it, and eventually had to tow it away and replace it with a different one).

Let me add that both airplanes that experienced mechanical problems were American Airlines' MD-80s. Not my favorite airplane, even though I firmly believe that they wouldn't still be in use if they weren't safe.

Old 10-07-2008, 02:06 PM

239 posts, read 784,728 times
Well up until last year it was a 9 hour delay at LaGuardia because of "heavy fog". I stupidly flew standby to Alaska last year using a Delta buddy pass. I made it out of Atlanta on the second flight to SLC. Of course, I missed my connecting flight in SLC and spent the entire day in the airport waiting for the last flight to Alaska...Delta only has 2 or 3 flights to Alaska out of SLC. Luckily, I was put on the last flight. Coming back home was even worse. I didn't get on the early morning flight out of Alaska or any other flights that day. I was in the Alaska airport for close to 36 hours before I finally got out of there. Needless to say, I will not be flying standby anytime soon. Lesson learned.

Old 10-07-2008, 02:20 PM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 8,698,132 times
Quote:
Dd714;5575827....Hmm. My statement "required by FAA" is incorrect. Sorry. This was in effect before airline deregulation but was changed
Well, I can see now on how we, AND many other people on that flight, were screwed over by United.
Bad thing is, passengers (like us and many, many others) just don't know their rights, and just being handed some sort of "pacifier" by the airline and agents, in order to shut us up.
Well, I am going to do some research on it, do some "homework" to educate myself better in exactly "WHAT" my rights are.
This thing is not over yet, from my end.

I am serious.....I still have the picture of that elderly couple in my head, preparing and laying down on those cardboard boxes on the bare concrete floor......But, there was nothing we were able to do, since we were in the same boat......(the older lady had dementia, BTW, and had an episode on the plane, when we were sitting there for 6 hours on the ground.!!!! They refused to let her and her husband get off.......they ended up giving her oxygen)
JUST UNBELIVABLE on WHAT and HOW it went on that day!!!

Old 10-10-2008, 03:10 PM

540 posts, read 691,920 times
Back in 1979 flying in a DC10 to New Zealand we had a stopover in American Samoa (Pago Pago) that turned into an unscheduled 8-hour stay. Apparently engine problems of some sort.

They kept us on the plane for more than 3 hours until people really started complaining - it was over 90 degrees outside and 90% humidity, and of course no air conditioning. Then once off the plane we couldn't leave the airport building because we didn't have the shots required for American Samoa - we were going to New Zealand and no shots required for there.

And on top of it all, I'm a bit claustraphobic. Much better now than I was back then though. I just kept my head buried in a book the whole time stuck on the plane and didn't think about being stuck in that HOT STUFFY TIN CAN WITH A WHOLE BUNCH OF GRUMPY SWEATY PEOPLE I DIDN'T KNOW. (hmmm... ya think I had issues? )

Old 10-11-2008, 01:59 PM
Status: "Be yourself. What's the alternative?" (set 21 days ago)

8,695 posts, read 10,845,026 times
Compared to other people--I guess this is nothing. 3 hours sitting in the plane before a 9 hour flight because fuel gauge stuck, no finally decided not-working.

Old 02-08-2009, 11:48 AM

1,082 posts, read 4,299,976 times
Flight laid over in Houston was canceled to leave mid evening, and we had to take our family of 5 (three little kids) to a hotel. We opted for an early flight the next day, but the lines were so long that by the time we got to our room and ordered room service dinner it was 2 am and we had to leave again for the airport about 6. Not fun, but all the kids recall was the burger and fries from room service!

Old 02-09-2009, 01:13 PM

17,032 posts, read 26,879,146 times
Escaping hurricane Dean from Playa. Got stuck in Merida for 1.5 days after 7 hour bus trip to get there.

Old 09-28-2015, 02:07 PM

368 posts, read 301,027 times
12-15 hours due to a poorly run airline in Canada called Jetsgo. I don't remember the exact circumstances that led to the delay.

Old 09-28-2015, 03:35 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,767,656 times
The airport got shut down in Bangkok during a protest one time but I wasn't really stranded, just took a bus to Cambodia to do my visa run. Was on standby in Taipei once for like three days but was going into town a lot so wasn't so bad. A couple months ago was flying from San Francisco to St Louis, and my flight to LAX and flight to St Louis were both delayed. 7 hours of delays in SFO, and 8 hours in LAX. Airline set me up at the Sheraton for the night and gave me around $120 in food vouchers (would go and ask for more every time the flight got delayed again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or