U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 01:03 PM

786 posts, read 4,318,782 times

Advertisements

I have been reading stories about people who miss their flight connection or have a flight cancelled and are stuck in a strange City for days. All the flights are full or if there are open seats they go to people with more frequent flyer miles. A friend of mine changed planes in Denver last winter and was trapped at the Airport for four days because of all the cancelled flights. There was no room at any of the hotels and so he had to sleep on the floor at the airport for 4 nights with thousands of other passengers.

What is your worst Airline travel horror story?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2007, 05:42 PM

25,668 posts, read 24,296,710 times
I had a 6 hr layover once on the way back from somewhere but since I book morning flights, it was not so bad.
Then there was a cancellation awhile back which turned out not to be too big of a catastrophe because as they were making and repeating the announcement, I was already on the phone to another airline reserving the very next flight back.
(Again, I never book afternoon flights, mostly owing to that reason, but this particular instance wasnt a choice).

Old 08-13-2007, 08:24 AM

3,750 posts, read 9,599,239 times
14 hours in the Amsterdam airport trying to get our flight to Egypt. Wonderful airport by the way to get stuck in.

Old 08-13-2007, 09:27 AM

5,641 posts, read 17,308,313 times
2-1/2 hours in the plane to D.C., could not take off at O'Hare because of runway construction/repair delays.

Old 08-13-2007, 06:21 PM

239 posts, read 804,744 times
We are an airline employee family, so we fly standby and are pretty much asking to be stranded when we travel @ busy times!

We were in San Juan for 13 hrs, only because there was no space- we ended up showing up for the 1st flight, but got on the last one.

I got stuck for 3 days in Fort Myers (good thing mom lives there) and ended up having to drive 5 hrs to Jacksonville to get out of FL... Florida is always interesting for us!

On revenue flights, I've had to sit on the ramp for 2 hrs after landing in ATL during a lightning storm... Snow delays on the plane for 1-2 hrs also in Connecticut-- nothing major like 14 hrs in Amsterdam, though!

Old 10-04-2008, 05:43 PM

111 posts, read 326,433 times
All I was trying to do was go home for right after Christmas through New Years. Due to circumstances that were out of my control, I had to move my flight to the next day, 27DEC2007. Oh well. So I get to the airport, go through security, and find the gate, and proceed to wait about four hours because the flight was delayed. No big deal, except for two things: 1 - there was a perfectly good, empty plane just sitting at the gate not being used in any way for anything the entire time from when I got there to when I finally left on my flight; and 2- we were supposed to leave at 3:30 pm but were delayed and didn't leave until 5:30 pm and my connecting flight to San Diego left at 5:30 pm...
So I missed it. Not my fault. They re-booked me on a flight to San Diego the next day. In the mean time, they put me up in a hotel for the night. The next day, I go to get on my flight, from Washington/Dulles to LAX to San Diego. But at the last minute, when they were boarding everyone, they decided to move me to the direct flight to San Diego that arrived around 10:30pm, verses 6:30 pm. I finally got home two days later then I was supposed to have. The return trip wasn't much better. The plane was having mechanical problems, so they individually rebooked every single one the the hundreds of passengers on that flight - one at a time. That took literally 2-3 hours alone before I got to the front of the line. I then flew from San Diego to Alanta, and then Atlanta back to Norfolk. I didn't get back onboard my ship to report in from leave until nearly 1 AM!! Lessons learned - don't fly United...

Of course now, it's a funny story to tell friends over cocktails, but at that particular point in time I was about ready to kill something.

Old 10-04-2008, 06:02 PM

12,054 posts, read 20,249,072 times
3 hours on the plane in Cancun with no a/c, beverages, or use of the bathroom; however, we did have outrageous heat coming off the tarmac.

Old 10-04-2008, 06:03 PM

1,772 posts, read 5,605,763 times
I spent 40 hrs. in Frankfurt, trying to fly home standby the week after Oktoberfest ended. I finally gave up and credit carded a one-way flight on Air France for about $275 to Dulles. Not a bad price, even in 1999.

Longest flight was 16 hrs. from Newark to Honk Kong, non-stop.

Longest train ride was 26 hrs. from Krakow to Kiev, which isn't even that far. But they took four hrs. to change the wheels on the train at the border, as the former Soviet Union uses a different track gauge than the rest of the world. And my buddy and I were the only two people on the train who needed visas, so they made the whole train wait for us once we got to the other side. It was about a week after the break-up of the Soviet Union, so it was impossible to get a visa in advance.

Old 10-04-2008, 06:18 PM

4,899 posts, read 16,618,002 times
i missed my flight and they had me on standby--and i was there for 3 hours waiting for the next flight--with my infant son.
a few times i have been stuck in the plane, but not moving for at least an hour--at least once with my baby.

Old 10-04-2008, 09:41 PM

7,185 posts, read 11,224,804 times
18 hours in Columbus, OH on a connection during a return flight. The plane landed, but when I checked in for the final leg of my trip, they closed the airport due to snow. Luckily, I was put in touch with a local hotel and snagged one of the last available rooms for the night. Found one of the last cabs to get me there. Hotel shuttle took me back to the airport the next day. Beat the heck out of joining my fellow travelers sleeping on the floor of the terminal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or