U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2007, 03:11 PM

1,224 posts, read 3,345,450 times

Advertisements

Hi all!
I'm coming over for a visit to the US on Thuesday, and I am worried about what I can and cannot bring with me (customs). I've heard a lot about that you are prohibited to take any kind of food with you - is it true? Nothing at all? And can you bring two handluggage with you on the plane? (if it is a long flight?)
I've been trying to find information about this (googled) but I don't seem to be able to find what I need.
Is there anyone who knows more about this? If you do, I would be very thankful for your response!
Like tea? And candy? Are you allowed to bring this with you from "the outside"?

Mvh, Hannah

Last edited by Sweden; 08-12-2007 at 03:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2007, 03:12 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,322,024 times
Leave your brain at home, you don't need one here.

Old 08-12-2007, 04:07 PM

16,482 posts, read 21,103,952 times
You really want to have as little as possible, if any, items that would be questionsable, such as food and drink items. You don't want to spend your whole day having your luggage searched. Obviously no weapons or anything that can even be constrewed as a weapon in any way, shape or form. Coming into the US I would assume will be much stricter than leaving.

Old 08-12-2007, 05:19 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,622,749 times
Sweden Check out this site. TSA: Permitted and Prohibited Items Have a good trip!

Old 08-13-2007, 09:38 PM

358 posts, read 851,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweden View Post
I've heard a lot about that you are prohibited to take any kind of food with you - is it true?
Of course not. Fresh fruit and meat, however, are a different story. Both have the potential to introduce bugs and diseases. However, if you have a candy bar or dried fruit or something, no problem exists.

Quote:
And can you bring two handluggage with you on the plane?
It sounds like this is your first time traveling. It isn't the country that determines how heavy and how much luggage you can bring; it's the airlines. The best thing is to check with the airline on which you're traveling.

Old 08-14-2007, 03:37 AM

17,835 posts, read 29,979,014 times
sweden
I have a friend who visits relatives in Belgium every year and always brings back lots of chocolate and has never had a problem.
I know here in the State you can't bring drink through security but once you have cleared security you can purchase drinks to carry on the plane.
I would check with your airline as to what kind of snacks you can bring on the plane.
have a safe flight and we will see you guys in 16 days

karla

Old 08-16-2007, 08:54 PM

18 posts, read 71,133 times
Default Sweden

its probably a little late,i have just came back from the U.S,travelled with Virgin Atlantic was allowed 43kg load on in hold with 2 carry on.Would advise buy all liquids on air-side once cleared through to "duty free",people getting paranoid about what to do--common sense prevails--no sharps,weapons,excessive liquids etc and you will be ok

Old 09-25-2007, 03:48 PM

325 posts, read 990,808 times
I have heard from people that have traveled recently that they are having toothpaste and shaving cream taken away at the airports. I really dont know what the harm in these items are, but I guess you never know.

Old 09-28-2007, 11:35 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,345,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by princesspolamalu View Post
I have heard from people that have traveled recently that they are having toothpaste and shaving cream taken away at the airports. I really dont know what the harm in these items are, but I guess you never know.
Yeah, I had my toothpaste taken away from me when travveling to London earlier this summer. It was only 5 ml more than you're allowed to bring! I mean...105 ml instead of 100, what's the harm? Oh well... Thankfully, the EU is trying to make this "security issue" go away, since they (and most other people) don't think this is necessary - no real risk. Besides, it is easy, way to easy, to "smuggle it" through security- my mother did with her toothpaste (she didn't know it was in her handluggage though) and at the airport, waiting to board my plane to Chicago, I overheard some girls talking to each others about what perfume etc they had been able to bring in the handluggage without anyone noticing it.

Thank you all for your responses, they were of great help I made it there and back (though I do believe the 10 minutes I spent in US immigration was the worst part of the whole 2x24 hour trip. Rest assured, tourists don't get in easy They even wanted my lifestory!) and I was allowed two handluggages. Atleast they didn't say anything about it.

I believe the one handluggage-rule is mostly/just for traveling to England. The security is very tight when travelling there. (But no customs though, thankfully)

Thanks all for your responses!

Old 09-28-2007, 03:28 PM

13,403 posts, read 21,965,456 times
5ml, oh my God that's just a squirt! I would have just squirted a little out of the tube right in front of the screening agent and said, "happy now?" I know, I probably would have been hauled off for it...

The earlier post about meats and fresh fruit is correct - BTW this is not a "TSA" issue, which regulates air travel, it is a US Customs issue, which regulates what comes through our ports. Here is a link to a comprehensive list of what you cannot bring into the US.

Prohibited and Restricted Items - CBP.gov
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or