U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 06:41 AM

9,830 posts, read 19,593,852 times

Advertisements

I've heard that from people lately that have traveled down there, that Chile is very expensive and the food underwhelming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2011, 01:46 AM

17,441 posts, read 21,278,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
I've heard that from people lately that have traveled down there, that Chile is very expensive and the food underwhelming.
Because I had a lot of time on my hands, curiously thinking of moving down there somewhere some day as an expat, I also investigated the big grocery stores. And I took along my imaginary grocery list.

I'm now convinced that food is on a par with oil prices. That was one of the bigger shocks of my investigations, didn't matter what country I was in. $4 a pound for ground beef in Chile 5 years ago, along with a sales tax!

Nothing beats the grocery prices right here in the U.S., probably because agriculture is so heavily subsidized here.

Myself, the climate is one of my chief concerns when traveling anywhere.
I've lived too long in the desert with our 10% humidity. Chile, with its low humidity, suited me perfectly, no discomfort at all.

Brazil/Uruguay/Eastern Argentina: My fears may be unfounded, but it suggests to me heat and humidity. And not enough higher altitude places to escape to, if need be.

I also agree the food in Chile was not very memorable, and even 5 years ago it was one of the pricier countries to visit.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:05 AM

5,712 posts, read 8,618,291 times
I have nothing against Chile and I am sure there are some people that may love it. I am also not saying there is nothing to see or do in Chile. What I am saying is that for what you spend you can see and do a lot better in neighboring countries. To the poster who said Chile has more to see than Perú or Ecuador, I disagree. Perú has far more to do and the tourist infrastructure is far better than Chile. Again, my own opinion, you're free to differ.

If you have the budget, sure, feel free to see both...as I just did. But if you have a limited budget then Chile will eat into that very quickly and you would've spent a load of money to see nothing particularly unique that you couldn't see anywhere else.

It's common sense really, if Place A and Place B are both equally beautiful and interesting, but Place B is half the cost to visit and you can only visit one all I am saying is don't choose Place A...Place A being Chile

Old 10-12-2011, 11:00 PM

5,899 posts, read 8,430,018 times
Go to Argentina instead. It has everything (mountains, glaciars, inmense cultural metropolis, lakes, beaches, falls, etcétera) and, while BA can be quite expensive (but it is worth every peso) you can go to the northwest and travel around for 1/10 than in BA (northwest is very very cheap) and the place is beautiful. You can also do wine tourism in beautiful Mendoza, or go to the 7 wonder of the world, Iguazu falls (biggest, more impressive falls in the world) or just go to inmense beautiful Patagonia.
You have much more to chose cause Argentina is 100 times more diverse and big than Chile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or