Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2011, 11:40 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,316,120 times

Advertisements

My husband would like us to go visit the Everglades national park at Thanksgiving and spend several days in the area, but our baby will only be 10 1/2 months then, which I think is too little for this kind of place - not only because of the most interesting hikes that can be done there, but also because of all the bugs (no insect repellent for her...).

For those who have already been there, do you think it's a good / safe place to go with a baby?
Thanks in advance for your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 12:55 PM

831 posts, read 1,963,957 times
My husband and I went in March of this year. There seemed to be no paved paths if you are thinking of using a stroller. It was dirt, modified decking or both.

We were eaten ALIVE by mosquitos in the shaded trails. Be reminded, the gators are loose (I know, "DUH") ...but you don't remember that till a prehistoric monster is laying across a shaded trail blocking your path.

Old 10-13-2011, 12:57 PM

831 posts, read 1,963,957 times
Sorry, I think taking someone that young with no ability to swat bugs or get away from them is horrible. I actually told my husband this (and I was referring to MYOWNSELF THANK YOU VERY MUCH!)

Old 10-13-2011, 04:58 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,937,803 times
If you went to someplace like Shark Valley you could ride the tram without any issues. You could always bring some netting to place over the baby. Just don't do an air boat ride. They are extremely loud, and I would worry about the baby's ears.

Old 10-13-2011, 07:33 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,001,087 times
End of Novemeber bugs should not be too bad. If this was January I would say go ahead as long as you dont mind carrying the baby a lot. But November might have some bugs. If your there for a few hours in the morning might be alright. Probably not the best place for a young baby.

Old 10-14-2011, 10:34 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,316,120 times
Thank you everyone.
That's exactly what I thought, but my husband...

Old 10-14-2011, 11:28 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,839,154 times
The only place I would consider is the area right around the visitors center.....you drive through part of the park, then visit the center...around the center is a lovely, large lookout area with decking paths that are raised above the swampy/reedy areas and water. You could us a stroller (I think) with netting and then at least enjoy part of the park.
Even that is worth it, at least to me....lots of birds etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudcaro View Post
My husband would like us to go visit the Everglades national park at Thanksgiving and spend several days in the area, but our baby will only be 10 1/2 months then, which I think is too little for this kind of place - not only because of the most interesting hikes that can be done there, but also because of all the bugs (no insect repellent for her...).

For those who have already been there, do you think it's a good / safe place to go with a baby?

Old 10-14-2011, 01:34 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,118,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudcaro View Post

I do not think that it is an appropriate destination with a baby. Why don't you do something that is less physically challenging or make arrangements to have the baby cared for while you and your husband go.

Unfortunately becoming parents can affect your lifestyle, and these are one of those moments.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel