U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 01:44 PM

5,721 posts, read 8,625,075 times

Advertisements

The Chilean peso has appreciated against the dollar from 630 pesos = 1 USD in April 2009 to 456 pesos = 1 USD today, further prices in Chile itself have risen drastically over the past 2 years. What does that translate to? Well, not only the most expensive countries in South America but perhaps in all of the Americas - prices are on par with the US or even exceed them.

Now, if Chile had something really incredible to offer one might reconsider, but compared to it's neighbors - Bolivia and Perú, Chile is far less interesting. The more interesting part of Chile - Patagonia, can be experienced similarly in Argentina as well, which is quite a bit cheaper.

After having toured Chile from San Pedro de Atacama to Santiago the only place I really liked was Valparaiso...but one gets tired of paying $17 for a burrito in Viña Del Mar (granted it's a seaside resort town but still.. I only pay $14 at the Acapulco in Newport Beach, CA one of the most expensive places in the world!) and $5 for a 12oz beer in a very basic bar when I can get a pint (16oz) for that same amount in LA very easily. Even a Big Mac combo at McDonalds was almost $8! (3500 pesos)

And the food is absolutely TERRIBLE, in my opinion. Chilean food is extremely bland, but the quality of meat is very good, still doesn't make it any better though.

It's a shame because the Chileans are extremely friendly people but what can I say the country is a VERY bad value given what it costs and what is on offer...especially when you have Argentina, Perú and Bolivia (which is dirt cheap) in the vicinity.

Most items in the supermarkets are more expensive than in the US, restaurants on average are 100-150% more expensive. Accomodation of similar quality is on par with the US.

Per capita GDP of Chile (2010): $11, 929
Per capita GDP of the US (2010): $47, 275

so you can see why the situation in Chile is quite strange and crime is increasing.

Last edited by k374; 08-01-2011 at 01:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2011, 08:25 PM

2,958 posts, read 11,367,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
The Chilean peso has appreciated against the dollar from 630 pesos = 1 USD in April 2009 to 456 pesos = 1 USD today, further prices in Chile itself have risen drastically over the past 2 years.
Don't you really mean that the US dollar has depreciated value against the Chilean peso?

Chile may have domestic price inflation, but what you have is the US dollar that is sinking like a rock on the world currency market. (Ben Bernake, calling Ben Bernake.)

It may not be so much that Chile is expensive, but that your currency isn't worth the paper that it's printed on.

Makes sense?

Last edited by azoria; 08-02-2011 at 09:16 PM..

Old 08-02-2011, 08:38 PM

3,111 posts, read 7,029,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
Don't you really mean that the US dollar has depreciated value against the Chilean peso?

Chile may have domestic monetary inflation, but what you have is the US dollar that is sinking like a rock on the world currency market. (Ben Bernake, calling Ben Bernake.)

It may not be so much that Chile is expensive, but that your currency isn't worth the paper that it's printed on.

Makes sense?
hahaha...true

Old 08-02-2011, 08:49 PM

2,065 posts, read 4,186,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Well, not only the most expensive countries in South America but perhaps in all of the Americas - prices are on par with the US or even exceed them.

one gets tired of paying $17 for a burrito in Viña Del Mar (granted it's a seaside resort town but still.. I only pay $14 at the Acapulco in Newport Beach, CA one of the most expensive places in the world!) and $5 for a 12oz beer in a very basic bar when I can get a pint (16oz) for that same amount in LA very easily.

It's a shame because the Chileans are extremely friendly people but what can I say the country is a VERY bad value given what it costs and what is on offer...especially when you have Argentina, Perú and Bolivia (which is dirt cheap) in the vicinity.

Most items in the supermarkets are more expensive than in the US, restaurants on average are 100-150% more expensive.
The problem is that it seems to me that every step the OP takes, he is constantly comparing prices. A well traveled person does not do that, at least not that often.
Traveling has brought me fantastic experiences, memories, but not necessarily - tbh usually not often - a good "bang for the buck" ratio.

Places and prices are different everywhere... e.g. I had a great time in Japan but almost everything was way more expensive than what I would pay for back home. Did it bother me? Absolutely not.
I traveled within my means and appreciated the trip and the opportunity; if the exchange rate was unfavorable to me, my problem, not theirs.

Chile is an amazing country with wonderful nature and very friendly people. Whoever has the chance to visit, I recommend it.
Again, endless comparisons with other countries (Peru, Argentina, and Bolivia)... are nothing but a matter of personal opinion.
I would gladly visit Argentina anytime, but would pass up both Peru and Bolivia and visit Chile instead.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:01 PM

1,096 posts, read 4,098,044 times
The title of this post is a little misleading it's hardly a travel alert to not travel to chili for safety reasons. You personally didn't like the food and it's not a place where your money is going to go super far, that's pretty much everywhere almost these days with the idiots running this country.

The Canadian Dollar was 0.7 cents stronger than last week, the Euro is incredibly high, British Pound is high, almost every countries currency is "high" against the dollar now or better put by soemone else earlier in this thread our currency sucks against others.

You do have a point in making people think about traveling at this time. Traveling to Europe now probably costs about 40% more than it did a year ago when the Euro had dropped to about $1.19

Old 08-02-2011, 10:33 PM

3,813 posts, read 3,663,867 times
Yes, maybe, blah, blah, blah.

HOWEVER, how else are you going to see Easter Island? One of the greatest MUST SEE's in the world?

Old 08-02-2011, 10:45 PM

4,854 posts, read 6,377,822 times
Your main thesis is that our dollar will not buy much in Chile. Blame our government and their wretched Keynesian economic policy, not Chile. Better yet, just be happy that you can actually afford to visit Chile and South America. I'd love to discover the high prices and bland food there.

Old 08-04-2011, 06:37 AM

13,036 posts, read 22,041,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaiam View Post
The problem is that it seems to me that every step the OP takes, he is constantly comparing prices. A well traveled person does not do that, at least not that often.
Traveling has brought me fantastic experiences, memories, but not necessarily - tbh usually not often - a good "bang for the buck" ratio.

Places and prices are different everywhere... e.g. I had a great time in Japan but almost everything was way more expensive than what I would pay for back home. Did it bother me? Absolutely not.
I traveled within my means and appreciated the trip and the opportunity; if the exchange rate was unfavorable to me, my problem, not theirs.

Chile is an amazing country with wonderful nature and very friendly people. Whoever has the chance to visit, I recommend it.
Again, endless comparisons with other countries (Peru, Argentina, and Bolivia)... are nothing but a matter of personal opinion.
I would gladly visit Argentina anytime, but would pass up both Peru and Bolivia and visit Chile instead.
What the Wise One says. Could not have said it better ! I agree with you 250 %.

Chile is one of my favourite places on the Planet.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:04 PM

5 posts, read 27,436 times
Like they say "you can't please everyone." Chile can't please everyone.

Old 08-06-2011, 11:45 PM

16,411 posts, read 26,278,250 times
Well, I would have to guess that Brasil is an even less "bang for your buck", but Brasil is also the best country in South America
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or