U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2007, 08:14 AM

1,238 posts, read 4,038,851 times

Advertisements

I would like to hear impressions of Dominica (not Dominican Republic) from someone who has been there, as I am considering it for a future vacation. It appears to be an off-the-beaten path place, still undiscovered by the mega-resorts. Is it fairly affordable? I like to take tours and hikes of National Parks, go snorkeling, and explore small towns. Is it a safe place? Let me know your impressions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2007, 06:25 PM

239 posts, read 804,691 times
I'm anxiously awaiting responses- I saw a travel show dedicated to Dominica not too long ago- seemed very rustic and beautiful... I'd also like to know.

Old 08-16-2007, 06:39 AM

1,238 posts, read 4,038,851 times
Well, shannaCT, looks like I will be the first American to visit that lovely island! Hope the natives are friendly! I'll let you know when I leave and if I'm not back in 2 weeks, send a search party....on second thought, if it is as nice as it seems, just let me stay

Old 08-16-2007, 11:13 AM

101 posts, read 347,197 times
My wife and I went about a year and a half ago in the winter to a small, remote inn (forget the name but rated best by Tripadvisor).

It was a wonderful trip. Unbelievably beautiful and unspoiled in most parts.

Can be very off-and-on rainy.

Snorkeling ok. I imagine if you search more than we did you could find better.

My impression was it's very safe, but like I said, we stayed at a remote inn and ate dinner at the inn.

Not expensive in my opinion.

Swimming only on the west coast as far as I know. The east coast was trecherous.

Great hiking and scenery.

Roads are not good, driving takes a while but that's part of the charm.

I highly recommend it. It's basically an unspoiled Caribbean island.

Old 08-24-2007, 12:50 PM

19 posts, read 73,055 times
We stopped in Dominica on a cruise and had an awesome day. We would love to go back to the island for longer. We swam under a waterfall and went hiking. It was so unspoiled and beautiful. The people could not have been nicer.

Old 08-25-2007, 12:09 PM

4,948 posts, read 16,515,369 times
i was there 2 times, both on a cruise on the sun viking. the first time was when no cruise ships went there, the second time lots of cruise ships went there. i went to the rain forest which was beautiful. i think the beach had black sand.

Old 08-30-2008, 10:02 PM

1 posts, read 2,796 times
Thumbs up Dominica info

Went on a cruise and hired a private taxi for a 4 hour tour. Wonderful island. went back 2 yrs later with friends and family and stayed a week.Accommodations were good and not too expensive, the food was terrific and the people were marvelous. Driving on the left was a real gas! We are seriously looking into buying there when we retire. We highly recommmend Dominica for a visit.

Old 08-30-2008, 11:12 PM

2,905 posts, read 6,572,840 times
I lived there for almost two years, when my husband was going to school there.

It is an absolutely beautiful island. I have never seen anything like the rainforest. It is easy and affordable to get a tour guide to take you where you need to go. I did several hikes with the spouses organization, we had guides take us into the rainforest, and we had bunches of kids with us (well once we had a two year old, whose mother thought she could carry him on her back, which lasted about 5 minutes, and the guide carried him the rest of the way---1.5 hours in and 1.5 hours out)

if you go, and are fit enough to make the trip, do not miss boiling lake, a boiling sulfur lake. I didn't make it, I guess I was a little daunted by the hike, about 3 hours in/3 hours out. It is in the 1,000 places to see before you die.

I love the capital, roseau. the fort young hotel is lovely.

I swam on the east coast and the west coast. the west coast is calmer, the east coast is more beautiful.

I've always thought i would like to go back and stay at the papillote wilderness retreat. I definitely recommend that you stay in the rainforest for some time while you are there.

scott's head has nice diving i have heard (something about it being in the top ten if i remember correctly)

I believe it is very safe. Although, when I lived there, there were several attacks on students. The locals knew that the students had money and were easy targets. But I don't think it is dangerous for tourists. And the attacks on the students were not vicious, they would just take the money without harming the student. When normal safety precautions are taken, I do not see anything what-so-ever as dangerous there.

The people are wonderful. The weather is also nice (try to avoid hurricane season if possible). Yes it rains frequently so bring an umbrella. usually the rain lasts for a bit then stops. I recall it raining out the front of the house but the back yard being sunny!

I was just showing my son a rainbow the other day (a partial one at that) and telling him how I missed Dominica because I had never seen so many rainbows in my life before or after being there.

Thank you so much for starting this thread! It is such a wonderful Island that is really unspoiled by tourism, man, and manufacturing. I cannot wait to go back there for a vacation, just waiting for the kids to get a little older so that they will be able to do all the hikes.

Old 08-30-2008, 11:23 PM

2,866 posts, read 8,462,982 times
Dominica is the only Island in the Caribbean that Columbus landed on, that he would still reconize today. It's unspoiled. The beaches are mostly black sand, there are waterfalls, rivers everywhere. Its very safe and the people are lovely.
I was there on a Cruise and I really enjoyed the Island.

Diane G
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or