Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 08:02 AM

1,338 posts, read 2,557,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
US passports may allow you to crack a smile with teeth showing, but many foreign countries will not accept a US passport with any sort of smile or teeth showing.
REALLY ?? has anyone who is in possession of a passport had it declined by another country because they are smiling ?? I find that very hard to believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 08:35 PM

44,543 posts, read 61,222,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swisswife View Post
REALLY ?? has anyone who is in possession of a passport had it declined by another country because they are smiling ?? I find that very hard to believe.
Apparently you didn't read the posted site and the problems that may arise with some countries refusing passports. And yes they do as we were in one country in SA that gave someone a very hard time and held up their entry.
Let me ask you this, if you even thought there might even be a remote chance of a problem, wouldn't you be wise enough just to avoid any situation that possibly would prevent you from entering a country. Are you going to take a chance and possibly be sent back home. No brainer to me.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:44 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,557,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Apparently you didn't read the posted site and the problems that may arise with some countries refusing passports. And yes they do as we were in one country in SA that gave someone a very hard time and held up their entry.
Let me ask you this, if you even thought there might even be a remote chance of a problem, wouldn't you be wise enough just to avoid any situation that possibly would prevent you from entering a country. Are you going to take a chance and possibly be sent back home. No brainer to me.
I did read the site but as its someones blog and not an official site for me its is the same as hearsay.
No I wouldn't unnecessarily do something that could cause me problems visiting another country but of all the people I know who have travelled A LOT and in visiting over 40 countries myself I never heard of anyone having problems because they smiled in a passport photo. I have witnessed people who are stupid and don't have the required 6 months left in their passport or expired or no visa but once you have an official passport I find it hard to believe any border agency would refuse it.

Old 08-07-2011, 10:55 PM

15,950 posts, read 20,911,244 times
We do passport photos and have had to do redos on pictures with teeth showing, a glare from glasses, or if there is a background shadow from the flash. Sometimes pictures I think are fine will be sent back for a redo, and other pictures that seem a little iffy on the size or coloring seem to pass without a problem.
It seems to depend some on whoever is accepting the application, and whether they got up on the right side of the bed that morning.

Old 08-07-2011, 11:01 PM

14,772 posts, read 17,038,818 times
As Vichel said, here has to be neutral face, no smiling.

Mine is terrible! Seriously. went out the night before, had a rare hangover. I had to get it done that day, as I needed it renewed for work purposes...I should change it. Even customs guys have commented "bad day?" haha

Old 08-07-2011, 11:41 PM

10,781 posts, read 8,696,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
Mine is terrible! Seriously. went out the night before, had a rare hangover. I had to get it done that day, as I needed it renewed for work purposes...I should change it. Even customs guys have commented "bad day?" haha
LOL! Now that's bad!

My recent passport photo isn't something I'm all that proud of either. Because I'm not used to having a "neutral expression" when having my photo taken, it's clear I didn't know what to do with my face for my passport. I was trying hard not to look dour so I ended up with this semi-startled look and a slightly crooked lip instead. For the next 10 years!

At $226 a pop, I'm not about to get it redone for vanity's sake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel