Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 06:31 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,048,201 times

Advertisements

Wow - I am overwhelmed with choices - gotta love that. We probably will not seriously starting planning this vacation until after the holidays, but you all have given us exactly what I was hoping for - a place to start and different cities and resources to check out....it does seem a bit overwhelming, but I know we will have lots of fun planning this trip. Thank you all!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2007, 10:09 PM

1,397 posts, read 4,845,806 times
Being that I am from Serbia ( Europe ), and I've seen many European countries, I would go this way ( if I am coming from America ): Spain, France, Switzerland, Italy, Austria, Germany, Hungary, Serbia, Macedonia, Greece...

Old 08-14-2007, 11:38 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,048,201 times
Thank you lastra!

Old 08-16-2007, 03:18 PM

5 posts, read 55,577 times
If you would like to do some walking and decide to come in Spring, I would suggest the West coast of Scotland. The scenery is beautiful and there are a lot of different things to do concentrated in a relatively small area. My favourite parts would be the train line from Fort William to Mallaig (a steam train in summer, and a ferry goes over to Skye from Mallaig), the Isle of Skye itself, Applecross and Plockton. Other places in Europe I love are Stockholm (beatiful old town), Florence, London, Vienna, Ljubljana....

Old 08-16-2007, 09:18 PM

104 posts, read 338,944 times
If you like hiking you need to try Slovakia-absolutely stunning in the fall and the hiking is out of this world! Personally I'd see these countries-France, Switzerland, Italy, Czech, Slovenia, Austria, Romania, Slovakia, Poland & Croatia. We visited most of them during our around the world trip and they were all gorgeous in the fall. Your money will go so much further in Eastern Europe and you will see a region which is on the cusp of mass tourism before it starts. I'd suggest traveling by train which is the best mode of transportation in my opinion-you can see the landscape without the hassles of driving. BTW-with $20k you can most definitely travel longer than 3 weeks if so inclined. We spent $30k during a years worth of travel and 6 months of it was in Europe. Just depends on your spending habits and what is important to you. Good luck and happy planning!!

Here is our site if you want to check out our pictures and travelogues.

Craig and Tina Cubicle Boycott

Old 08-16-2007, 09:46 PM

13,608 posts, read 5,386,066 times
I can agree with Budapest. I've been there for about eight times. Great architecture and incredible delicious food. Also Amsterdam is very beautiful with its flower markets. For travelling in Europe I can recommend Easyjet (very cheap and good service) and Air Berlin (also cheap and good for short trips). Lufthansa might be a bit expensive, though.
There are also beautiful places at the baltic sea in Germany. If you go for Italy, don't miss Venice!!!

Old 08-16-2007, 10:44 PM

433 posts, read 2,356,186 times
I let the millions of tourists have Paris, Rome and London all to themselves. I have no desire to go to the mega popular places.

I only go to Stockholm and Amsterdam. Love them both. I'm drawn to water.

Old 08-17-2007, 12:33 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,386,066 times
That's a good choice too. But it's great to be able to say "I've seen the Eiffelt Tower" or "I already visited Vatican City". Might impress somebody.

But you're right, when going to Hungary we stay in a suburb of Budapest with a charming family and have private tours throughout the country on our own. It's always good to have somebody from there to show you around.

Old 08-18-2007, 04:09 PM

121 posts, read 521,925 times
I have lots of good links for Scotland here: tourscotland.blogspot.com/

Also Brugge, Belgium
France
Ireland
A few days in London
Haven't been yet but know lots of people who just love Italy and Switzerland.

Last edited by AustinTraveler; 08-19-2007 at 01:18 PM.. Reason: fixed link

Old 08-18-2007, 04:23 PM

13,026 posts, read 24,625,061 times
The Western Highlands and Islands of Scotland are indeed some of the most beautiful places in the world!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel