U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 11:39 AM

14,249 posts, read 14,137,087 times

Advertisements

How about the Hill Country in Central Texas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 01:50 PM

3,442 posts, read 5,610,484 times
We loved the Golden Isles of Georgia. We stayed on Jekyl Island and it was absolutely beautiful. It is a short drive off that island and over to St. Simon's Island which has a bit more activity. I will say we were there over the last weekend in Oct. and summer may be a bit more busy. I loved it.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:01 PM

17,391 posts, read 21,228,976 times
I'm a dyed-in-the-wool non-touristy traveler, and your travel guides will often tip you off to traveling somewhere where you'll feel like a King, in other words, you walk the streets being the only tourist there.

I did that in Central America.

"Tourists generally skip this town, they only use it as a transfer point."

There you go! Stay there for the night! Explore! Smile at what the mainstream tourists are missing!

Old 08-10-2011, 05:37 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,914,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
We loved the Golden Isles of Georgia. We stayed on Jekyl Island and it was absolutely beautiful. .
Yes.
And there are Cumberland and Sapelo Islands, only accessible by ferry, with very limited lodging.

We live on Amelia Island, which is busy in summer but not unbearable.
The only time that it is absolutely crazy is the first weekend in May, for Shrimp Festival.
This island is a beaten path for southerners, but not an overly familiar part of Florida, certainly not "over-the-top."
The state parks are quiet and unspoiled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post

Captiva
Loved Captiva. No-car places are mellower. Hydra and other locations in Greece, the central sections of Rome, Spoleto, Siena and many other cities in Italy, Sarlat, Mont St Michel (but MSM was plenty crowded), La Rochelle and Strasbourg in France. I especially enjoyed Strasbourg.
List of Car-Free Places
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I did that in Central America.
Yes, we had an interesting visit in Guatemala back in the 90's. I definitely felt away from the crowd on that trip.

Tippinturtle, I know what you mean about "no, now people are going to know about it," yet sometimes I feel kind of selfish and snotty when I have that attitude. I suppose the main thing you can hope for is that a special place will not be Disneyfied or subdivided.

Old 08-11-2011, 09:59 AM

253 posts, read 164,942 times
Has anyone ever gone to Little Corn Island, Nicaragua? I saw an article about it in Budget Travel years ago & it's still stuck in my head to visit. No roads, iffy electricity, sounds awesome!

Old 08-11-2011, 10:41 PM

4,800 posts, read 10,575,985 times
One of the most beautiful spots in the U.S. is Hells Canyon on the Idaho/Oregon border. It sure doesn't qualify as touristy. Quite isolated but well worth the trip once you get there.

Old 08-12-2011, 12:09 PM

2,187 posts, read 6,830,577 times
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! I will definitely start researching a lot of those places for future trips!

Old 08-12-2011, 09:51 PM

9,416 posts, read 17,388,691 times
I don't know if it would be "touristy" enough for you or even if it would appeal to you, but the Bighorn Mountains in northern Wyoming are fabulous and not touristy at all. They're midway between the Black Hills of South Dakota (Mt Rushmore, Devils Tower, etc.) and Yellowstone NP, so the huge majority of vacationers either turn around at one or the other or scoot through the Bighorns non-stop at 65 mph in order to make the trip to the next big vacation spot in one day.

The Bighorns aren't as majestic as the Tetons and don't have all the interesting geysers, mud pots, hot springs and wildlife of Yellowstone, but they're beautiful and serene, and if you enjoy the history of the old west, they have that in abundance.

In and near the small town of Buffalo you can sleep in the same restored rooms and belly up to the same bar as Teddy Roosevelt or Butch Cassidy did years ago, visit the Wild Bunch's famous Hole in the Wall hideout (if you can find it) or the site of Fort Phil Kearny, the Fetterman Massacre and the Wagon Box Fight.

You're in Johnson County here, home of the infamous Johnson County range wars, so if you like you can visit the Bradford Brinton Memorial Ranch, the home of an early cattle baron that's been left much as it was when he lived there. It's full of antiques and great western art. Travel up the interstate an hour and you can see where Custer made his "Last Stand".

If you venture up the mountain you can enjoy quiet mountain lakes, babbling mountain streams, sheer vertical cliffs and lush pine-covered hills, or travel a bit to the northwest and experience an ancient and mysterious Indian Medicine Wheel (80 feet in diameter).

With the exception of the Custer Battlefield at the Little Bighorn, none of these are true tourist locations, but they're all jewels and just a sampling of what's available in the area. In other words, don't expect a host of accommodations for tourists. You'll be rubbing elbows with the locals for most any services, but being on a main route to Yellowstone NP, they do expect and appreciate a few tourists.

This is best experienced in mid to late summer, after most of the snow has left the mountain and before winter begins. I'd recommend a 4x4 with some clearance if you want to get back onto mountain trails much, but any passenger car will do for the main roads.

Last edited by WyoNewk; 08-12-2011 at 10:00 PM..

Old 08-13-2011, 09:43 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,241,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
We loved the Golden Isles of Georgia. We stayed on Jekyl Island and it was absolutely beautiful. It is a short drive off that island and over to St. Simon's Island which has a bit more activity. I will say we were there over the last weekend in Oct. and summer may be a bit more busy. I loved it.
I agree, Jekyll Island is the most un-touristy place in the world. A wonderful surprise. Go over quite early in the day, there is a quota on how many cars are allowed across the causeway each day.

I think I'd choose Gaspe, over Prince Edward Island. The drive there is prettier around the north shore of the Gaspe peninsula (but boring along the south shore), and Gaspe itself is a rewarding destination.

If you're thinking of a wider area to explore over several days, the upper Ohio River Valley above Huntington is a delight. The road on both sides of the river is a pleasant drive, that offers nice views of the river in most places.

Last edited by jtur88; 08-13-2011 at 10:02 AM..

Old 08-13-2011, 01:44 PM

221 posts, read 1,023,644 times
Marathon, Texas (and elsewhere in the Big Bend but Marfa has become touristy)
Lake Chelan, Washington
Ely, Minnesota and the Gunflint Trail from Grand Marais
Decorah and Northeastern Iowa to Galena IL and Mineral Point, WI
The Upper Penninsula of Michigan
Chadron, Nebraska and environs
Vancouver Island, BC (yes, Victoria is on the edge of touristyness)
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho - haven't been there in a while, maybe it's gotten overvisited?
And so much more!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or