U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2011, 01:43 PM

3,442 posts, read 5,608,405 times

Advertisements

Can't decide where to go but thinking of flying to San Jose, CA or Portland,OR. If San Jose we would probably take in the Monterey area as we want to be near the ocean. If we go to Portland we would spend a few days there touring the city and then drive down the coast a way. Have heard the dunes in the Florence area are special. Any suggestions? from anyone who has done either. We would be coming from Maine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 03:45 PM

6,063 posts, read 9,520,860 times
There are dunes at Monterrey as well as Florence. We've done both of your suggestions - you wouldn't be disappointed by either one. Both are pretty wonderful areas.

If you go to Portland, take some time to drive along the Columbia. There are some spectacular waterfalls off the non-highway road.

Old 08-09-2011, 03:48 PM

3,442 posts, read 5,608,405 times
Thank you - This is good to know

Old 08-10-2011, 01:05 AM

313 posts, read 386,260 times
When are you planning the trip? For Portland I would suggest now or in September, and the coastline would definitely be my suggestion.

Old 08-10-2011, 05:49 AM

32,055 posts, read 32,950,797 times
If you fly to San Jose, CA., you can visit Monterey, Carmel and Santa Cruz. All have nice beach areas.

Old 08-10-2011, 04:12 PM

2,756 posts, read 5,406,221 times
My wife and I are heading to Carmel in two days to spend about a week out there, in that whole Monterrey Bay area, including Santa Cruz, Big Sur, and Capitola and Aptos and maybe even San Francisco.
Carmel is truly one of the most beautiful places on the entire planet. People come from all over the world to see it. It's beauty and majesty makes you almost weep. I've been there several times before, having grown-up in California, and also having played junior college baseball at Cabrill College, right across the bay from Carmel in Aptos.
But still, evertime I go there it takes my breath away. Everyone should see Carmel andBig Sur if they possibly can!!

Old 08-14-2011, 02:50 PM

8,239 posts, read 11,102,038 times
A vote for Portland and the Oregon Coast. While in Portland be sure to check out the Chinese Garden (we didn't get to the Japanese garden which has been there longer.) Portland is a locavore/foodie paradise and I believe Powell's is still the worlds largest bookstore. Either way, have a great trip!

Old 08-14-2011, 03:49 PM

2,974 posts, read 3,954,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
My wife and I are heading to Carmel in two days to spend about a week out there, in that whole Monterrey Bay area, including Santa Cruz, Big Sur, and Capitola and Aptos and maybe even San Francisco.
Carmel is truly one of the most beautiful places on the entire planet. People come from all over the world to see it. It's beauty and majesty makes you almost weep. I've been there several times before, having grown-up in California, and also having played junior college baseball at Cabrill College, right across the bay from Carmel in Aptos.
But still, evertime I go there it takes my breath away. Everyone should see Carmel andBig Sur if they possibly can!!

It's a shame California has the problems it does, so many people have a preconcieved notion about CA from what they see on TV.

For my wife and I it is one of the beautiful states we have viisted, and we have been over every square inch of it and all along the coast into Portland.

To the OP, either place you visit you will fall in love with.

Monterrey area (and aquarium) is spectacular, Pebble Beach, Carmel, Big Sur.

Portland, you can take a drive up to Mt, St. Helens, drive along the Columbia River as mentioned and go the the Bonniville Dam to check out the fish ladder, then down the coast to Cannon Beach and Haystack Rock.

It makes me smile just thinking about our many trips out west.

Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel