U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 03:24 PM

4,112 posts, read 3,822,834 times

Advertisements

The first thing I thought of was Amish country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2015, 10:16 AM

10,868 posts, read 14,247,091 times
I tried posting in the PA forum but no replies.

My wife is visiting Lancaster and wants to buy a quilt -- but not at a quilt shop. She wants to drive around the area on a quilt safari and buy one directly from the family who makes them. Are there any specific areas that are better than others for this sort of haphazard shopping?

Where is she most likely to find quilts for sale, hanging from lines in front of houses? (And not quilt shops.)

Old 08-02-2015, 07:18 AM

62 posts, read 60,283 times
The only area you'll see quilts for sale is on RT 340 going thru Bird In Hand towards Intercourse where they have a bunch of amish made goods in little shops. You won't be able to find any that just sell them without being in the shop tho, it just doesnt work that way here. The only thing you will see random road side stands for are produce. You can also buy them at some of the farmers markets since the Amish have a lot craft stands and things like that for sale. Rarely will they deal with "The English" outside of their designated areas for selling unless it's a small roadside produce stand. Im not sure how the Amish are in other areas I only know how it is here in Lancaster (born n raised and unfortunately still here...lol) but you would never be able to just walk up to an Amish property and buy things, they dont want anyone outsiders/English on their properties. The produce stands are always along the roads near their properties but not directly on them.

I know Central Market has some as well as Roots (Tuesdays and Sat am). The Farmer's Markets are only open on certain days so you will have to check that first. I forget Centrals' hours, I know they're open on Fridays tho and one other day.
'

Old 08-02-2015, 07:45 AM

Thanks for the info. Someone on another forum suggested that people simply hung quilts for sale in their yards during tourist season. Coupled with the above picture of quilts with obvious price tags stapled to them, it's a believable-enough story.

Old 08-02-2015, 08:33 AM

Maybe some locals (non-Amish)in the area that buy them and resell them like that although I've never seen that but it wouldnt be the actual amish who made it if it is in fact Amish crafted, they just don't work that way. There are a lot of fakes around too so be careful of that. The shops that have authentic Amish quilts are noted as such.

Old 08-02-2015, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCG2015 View Post
Maybe some locals (non-Amish)in the area that buy them and resell them like that although I've never seen that but it wouldnt be the actual amish who made it if it is in fact Amish crafted, they just don't work that way. There are a lot of fakes around too so be careful of that. The shops that have authentic Amish quilts are noted as such.
This is why my wife wanted to go to the source. Buying a quilt made in the Philippines doesn't help the local economy all that much. She's also concerned that the shop that proudly declares "We sell authentic Amish crafts" could be lying through their teeth. At least quality materials and workmanship is easily seen. And cheap, haphazard work is ALSO easily seen. But given the choice between two obviously quality products, she'd rather purchase the locally-made quilt.

Any pointers where she can go and at least get the real McCoy?

Last edited by ScoopLV; 08-02-2015 at 10:44 AM.. Reason: Run-on sentence....

Old 08-02-2015, 12:51 PM

Check out these sites. Most of these are either out 340 or in New Holland. Im familiar with most listed and can attest that those are the real deal in their stores. A lot of the Amish will sell them on consignment thru them. The only place you would get to deal directly with the Amish would be at their stands in the Markets but Im not sure how many still sell in those.

Amish Quilts and Quilt Shops in Lancaster County - LancasterPA.com

Lancaster Quilt Shopping | Amish Quilts & Gifts from PA Dutch Country

You can look up Lancaster's Central Market and Roots (beware there are knockoffs at Roots). only ones made by Amish there would also have Amish running their stands, not plain clothed people. Check their hours and info online but keep in mind not all Amish stands will be advertised on there. The stands can change from week to week.

Old 08-02-2015, 02:10 PM

14,260 posts, read 23,995,588 times
Or you can attend nearly any Mennonite Relief Sale across the country. Most sell quilts handstitched by the local church groups.

Here is a link to the schedule for 2015.

http://mcc.org/sites/mcc.org/files/m...re15usaweb.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or