U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 06:44 AM

20,517 posts, read 26,409,107 times

Advertisements

I am planning a trip for hubby and I in September. We are going to Lancaster and the surrounding areas. We don't have young children so we have no plans for any of the amusement parks. I would love to see a working farm, do some factory tours, go to a Farmer's market, and of course sample some of the local food.

What are some of the places you would recommend seeing? I would also love to learn more about the Amish and Mennonites but I don't want it to be a tourist trap. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 09:45 AM

12,054 posts, read 20,281,960 times
Hi Lisa,

It's been a few years since I've been to Lancaster County but I would suggest that you look at 800godutch.com for some tourist info. There are lots of things to do and lots of places to eat. The Good N Plenty restaurant is very popular but I haven't eaten there in years. Check out Intercourse PA's website also. The Amish and Menonites will have displays of quilts and other items of interest. Just so you know, a little history here, when you purchase an item made by them, there will always be something "not quite right" as they believe that only God makes things perfect. I am really not saying it right, but you get the picture. Their items are lovely and the food is delicious. You should have enough to do to really enjoy yourselves. Wish I was going with you.

Old 08-10-2011, 11:42 AM

Thank you SXMGirl.

I have read about the Amish and I do remember that about their quilts. No vanity there

Old 08-10-2011, 01:51 PM

14,273 posts, read 14,161,696 times
I read the title of the thread and thought it referred to Lancaster in England.

I was very surprised to learn that the Amish were there!

Old 08-10-2011, 02:17 PM

32,140 posts, read 33,051,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
Hi Lisa,

It's been a few years since I've been to Lancaster County but I would suggest that you look at 800godutch.com for some tourist info. There are lots of things to do and lots of places to eat. The Good N Plenty restaurant is very popular but I haven't eaten there in years. Check out Intercourse PA's website also. The Amish and Menonites will have displays of quilts and other items of interest. Just so you know, a little history here, when you purchase an item made by them, there will always be something "not quite right" as they believe that only God makes things perfect. I am really not saying it right, but you get the picture. Their items are lovely and the food is delicious. You should have enough to do to really enjoy yourselves. Wish I was going with you.
I was in Lancaster County last week and I ate the Good N Plenty restaurant (to try Pennsylvania Dutch cooking). I would definitely recommend it. Also I visited Kitchen Kettle Village in Intercourse, PA and definitely found the whole area pleasant to walk around in. While there I bought some great homemade style jams which I am still enjoying. Also I suggest visiting Bird-in-Hand although I got there a bit too late to see the Farmers Market, but I heard it is definite worth visiting.

Old 08-10-2011, 03:52 PM

12,054 posts, read 20,281,960 times
Lisa,

They just had the ad for Lancaster County.com and then click on Lancaster County Originals or Things To Do. They've been running this commercial for the past week and it looks like you can tour the Turkey Hill Ice Cream factory. Everything is listed in alphabetical order so it's easy to see what all of the activities are.

Old 08-11-2011, 01:58 PM

6,077 posts, read 9,549,238 times
When I was in Lancaster last year, I stopped here: Lancaster Mennonite Historical Society - Lancaster, PA - Lancaster Mennonite Historical Society

It was a really good resource for understanding all of the various anabaptist groups.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:39 PM

22,592 posts, read 12,360,452 times
Do you like "Living Historical" places like Colonial Williamsburg, VA?

Near Lancaster there is a perfected preserved little religious "village" that was founded - I think - in 1732. It is called The Ephrata Cloister. It was founded by a very strict and weird religious sect and you walk around the various buildings, it was a self-contained community. The setting is very beautiful, with gently rolling hills, meadows and shady lanes.

Check out Ephrata Cloister, Ephrata, PA

I recommend it.

Old 08-12-2011, 05:35 AM

Thank you everyone. You have given me some ideas for my list

Old 08-12-2011, 03:20 PM

32,140 posts, read 33,051,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Thank you everyone. You have given me some ideas for my list
You might also want to post your question on the Pennsylvania forum if you want to get more opinions/information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or