U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 04:06 AM

1,254 posts, read 1,305,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaul View Post
None of those places can guarantee -40 temperature. The average low for Barrow is -20, -18 for Fairbanks, -23 for Yellowknife, and Oymyakon, Siberia is -60. I've been following their weather forecast and -75 is to them as common as snowfall over Chicago in January. There plenty of tourists traveling to Siberia in the winter time to experience the cold, I'm sure you won't be the lone wolf. The best advice is to not venture far away from civilization. I don't think you should be worrying about crimes in Oymyakon. No one in Oymyakon would be that cruel to steal your parka and let you rot in the cold. The people there are hardworking, diligent folks, not sadistic and atrocious like you'd think.
Exactly. That's the one and only reason I chose Siberia over Yellowknife--for example.

If I had unlimited time off work and $$$ I would just go to Arctic Canada or Alaska on very short notice when it was forecast to drop to 40, 50 or even 60 below as I'd much rather travel 2000 miles than 6000 and be able to speak English without anyone not understanding me!

Siberia OTOH I can pretty much be guaranteed 40 below or less on any random day in Jan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2011, 10:49 AM

933 posts, read 1,714,316 times

Feel the atmosphere of the world's coldest city. Yakutsk, Siberia/Russia - YouTube

Old 08-13-2011, 07:18 PM

18,852 posts, read 31,698,893 times
You could come up to Cut Bank, MT and pretty much have the same weather, and you can even go to McDonald's for dinner. Plentywood is pretty cold in January too. We don't wear all that fancy goose down, just go get some Carhart's overalls, and a good coat will do you, after all, there is not much wind, so it is really not that cold. You would look pretty stupid in your Arctic sub zero get up...use that when you go polar bear hunting. Why are you going to go spend your vacation dollars in Russia? Stay in the US, and buy American clothes...

I looked at the climate charts...they are not correct, it gets darn cold here in the winter, and stays cold for a week or so...we usually have a cold snap in December or January, around -40 for a few days. Have to keep the car plugged in, so it won't freeze, even when you go to the store.

Last edited by jasper12; 08-13-2011 at 07:23 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 08-13-2011, 08:42 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,586,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
You could come up to Cut Bank, MT and pretty much have the same weather ...
I looked at the climate charts...they are not correct, it gets darn cold here in the winter, and stays cold for a week or so...we usually have a cold snap in December or January, around -40 for a few days.
I was born in Brandon, Manitoba, but too young to remember the cold winter there. My mom and grandmother had no problem reminding us though. They said when the harsh winter wind blew across the plains, the temperature often dipped to -48C (-55F), and that's the reason they packed us up and moved to Laguna Beach, CA.

Old 08-13-2011, 11:36 PM

9,830 posts, read 19,569,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
Don't know if you've seen this site already, but people do go to Omyakon in the winter independently: Do-it-yourself travel Yakutsk to Oymyakon, Pole of Cold | AskYakutia.com
Bolot is the man that knows it all and his site can answer all the questions.

Old 08-14-2011, 02:42 PM

8,240 posts, read 11,104,689 times
This is funny. The whole time I was in Helsinki (in the summer) I was fantasizing about what the winter would be like. The movie Night on Earth provided a hint.

Old 08-15-2011, 11:45 AM

10,234 posts, read 13,979,154 times
papafox, it wouldn't surprise me that there is some type of service for tourists. I cannot imagine this desire of yours but you're not alone. After all, the "ice motels" apparently draw enough patrons to continue them. However, in Siberia you could expect catastrophic blizzards. I shiver just to think of it.

I would check into websites based in Siberia to search for services and accommodations. If you can do this in a group at least you'd have the safety in numbers.

Old 08-15-2011, 06:53 PM

18,852 posts, read 31,698,893 times
Don't they have some cool ice hotels in Sweden? Where you can go bathe in the hot tub with Swedish women? And drink lots of vodka? That sounds like a much better vacation than going to Siberia...it might only be -20, but I think that would be an okay trade off. Winter activities | Snowmobile

Yeah, I checked out the website...all blondes...they have lots of activities there too, Ice Safari, Northern Lights Tour, Reindeer petting, whatever.. http://www.icehotel.com/

Last edited by jasper12; 08-15-2011 at 06:54 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 08-15-2011, 07:27 PM

10,234 posts, read 13,979,154 times
papafox, another idea for experiencing "cold" is to apply for work in the Antarctic. I'm serious. You would be sequestered with others for an assigned period of time but you would go outdoors periodically in the earth's coldest, driest desert.

Also, I believe it is in China where they have that spectacular ice sculpture festival every year.

But if you're still hell-bent on Siberia, you should considering opting for Mongolia instead, where you could ride with the nomadic people, setting up and taking down yurts as you travel in the harsh conditions, met with warm hospitality and appreciation. I can see this being a better experience than Siberia.

Old 08-17-2011, 08:16 AM

1,254 posts, read 1,305,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
papafox, it wouldn't surprise me that there is some type of service for tourists. I cannot imagine this desire of yours but you're not alone. After all, the "ice motels" apparently draw enough patrons to continue them. However, in Siberia you could expect catastrophic blizzards. I shiver just to think of it.

I would check into websites based in Siberia to search for services and accommodations. If you can do this in a group at least you'd have the safety in numbers.
Hey!! I never claim to be normal with anything related to the weather--either in the air or on the ground!

Actually, Siberia rarely gets blizzards in the winter. When it's 50 or 60 below it is bone dry and therefore there is almost no moisture available for one to form. They get the heaviest snow in the spring and fall actually.

I am no stranger to the cold---granted nothing as cold as Siberia. I did camp out in a tent and sleeping bag in Upstate NY last Jan when it was -27F (-33C) and was actually pretty comfortable. Check out the pics posted below from that!!

Camped outside Sunday night at -27F!

In terms of overall comfort, I'd probably put it on par with spending 12 hrs in economy class. Certainly not any than that and MUCH easier than the 21 hrs I spent in Coach flying to Singapore last summer!!

I think being outside for the day at 50 or 60 below but having a hot shower and warm bed indoors at the end of the day would be easier than camping outside at 27 below as I did already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel