U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 09:10 AM

10,234 posts, read 13,987,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post
Hey!! I never claim to be normal with anything related to the weather--either in the air or on the ground!

Actually, Siberia rarely gets blizzards in the winter. When it's 50 or 60 below it is bone dry and therefore there is almost no moisture available for one to form. They get the heaviest snow in the spring and fall actually.

I am no stranger to the cold---granted nothing as cold as Siberia. I did camp out in a tent and sleeping bag in Upstate NY last Jan when it was -27F (-33C) and was actually pretty comfortable. Check out the pics posted below from that!!

Camped outside Sunday night at -27F!

In terms of overall comfort, I'd probably put it on par with spending 12 hrs in economy class. Certainly not any than that and MUCH easier than the 21 hrs I spent in Coach flying to Singapore last summer!!

I think being outside for the day at 50 or 60 below but having a hot shower and warm bed indoors at the end of the day would be easier than camping outside at 27 below as I did already.

I am fascinated. You would make a good Mongolian.

I watched a documentary on Mongolians a couple of years ago, which followed a particular family herding livestock (in blizzard, so I assume it was fall). Very interesting to watch how "easily" they construct their yurts as needed ~ and even more interesting to how well they stand up to the conditions (that stadium at the State Fair should have been as stable).

Anyway, the show ended with the whole trible resting in their "real" house for a couple of days to clean up, warm up, have a full meal, and rest. By the end of the two days they were bored and feeling the wunderlust already.

My husband was living in Michigan back in the 70's when they had a particularly brutal, C-O-L-D winter that was so bad that people couldn't expose any of their skin. He has pictures of him dressing up in layers in steps, also covering the face.

There are people on the opposite end of the spectrum, though. We went for a drive into Anza-Borrego, CA a few years ago, and the admission person to the park was this tiny woman inside a small. We know how HOT it gets there (worse than Palm Springs), so my husband asked her how she can stand it come summer. Her reply: "Oh, it doesn't start to get to me until it reaches towards 130." (?????)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 03:07 AM

933 posts, read 1,715,965 times
Here's Arctic Village, Alaska, just south of Brooks range in one January, you are guaranteed -40 on any given day. -60 are common as well.
http://www.wunderground.com/history/...q_statename=NA

Old 08-19-2011, 08:10 AM

1,254 posts, read 1,307,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaul View Post
Here's Arctic Village, Alaska, just south of Brooks range in one January, you are guaranteed -40 on any given day. -60 are common as well.
History : Weather Underground

I don't think so man!!

You cherry picked Jan of 72 which was exceptionally cold. If you looked at Jan of 2011 you'd see that only 4 out of 31 nights had temps below -40.......that's HARDLY a guarantee!! LOL!

http://www.wunderground.com/history/...q_statename=NA

Everyone suggesting that I visit N Canada or AK instead of Siberia should reread post #11 that I made.

Sigh........

Old 08-19-2011, 10:19 AM

1,543 posts, read 2,635,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
I've been at -40 C and F in Ft McMurray, AB (and Minneapolis for that matter). Why travel halfway around the world to experience cold. Fairbanks or Barrow may be the same effect. Maybe somewhere in NWT.
Also remember the Russian people are not known for their friendliness.....

Old 08-19-2011, 12:38 PM

472 posts, read 793,910 times
This thread is hilarious. Seems like most of you don't know the answer to his question, so instead you're going off on him about why he's wrong to do it.

Old 08-20-2011, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post
I don't think so man!!

You cherry picked Jan of 72 which was exceptionally cold. If you looked at Jan of 2011 you'd see that only 4 out of 31 nights had temps below -40.......that's HARDLY a guarantee!! LOL!

History : Weather Underground

Everyone suggesting that I visit N Canada or AK instead of Siberia should reread post #11 that I made.

Sigh........
2011 was the warmest year on record for Arctic Village, the warm chinook weeks made January warmer than it should be. The normal average high is -15 and low is -33, so you should expect at least half a month of -40. Look at stat for 2009 and 2010, I count at least 25 days with -40. It doesn't matter anyway, You're better off in Siberia. Siberia is pretty much -40 and below from Nov. to March.

Last edited by Kaul; 08-20-2011 at 01:20 PM..

Old 08-21-2011, 01:28 PM

85 posts, read 132,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post

I lived in Russia for 5 years and...Russia is NOT Canada.
I confirm it. I've been there. But if you like extreme, you'll like it.

Old 08-21-2011, 05:08 PM

papafox I have good news for you. I found a town in Nunavut that will guarantee -40 and below in the winter. This place is much colder than Yakutsk on a yearly average.

Cambridge Bay - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel