U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 09:17 AM

1,254 posts, read 1,307,694 times

Advertisements

Call me crazy, but my goal next winter is to travel to Siberia in January and be there when it is at least 40 below.

Have any of you been to Siberia in the winter? I must say I'm really wanting to do this and am actually more concerned about no one understanding english than i am about the cold. Would you advise me to find a Russian and English speaking guide or would I get by OK traveling solo knowing just a few words of Russian?

I've done a bit of prelim research and it looks like flying into Yakustk from Moscow is the best bet. From there I'm hoping to travel to either Verkhoyansk or Oymyakon (coldest inhabitated place in the world)!!

I know it can somethimes drop to -60F or less in the winter so I will be totally prepared with a super warm parka (Canada Goose), mittens, long underwear, etc----but I am wondering how cold it would have to get before all transportation comes to a halt (especially airline service).

Lastly, how safe it is to visit in terms of crime? I'm a bit worried that I'd have my parka stolen and be in real trouble then!!! Do I have to worry about this more than I would visiting Alaska or NW Territories of Canada in the winter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 04:34 PM

14,260 posts, read 14,147,026 times
Okay- you're crazy!

I have been inside the Arctic Circle when it was pretty cold, something like -30F, I really can't recall.

The time taken to get dressed up and to get undressed was something! Nothing, but nothing should be exposed especially if the wind's blowing!

I enjoyed the peace and solitude but I won't be rushing back.

My daughter was in St Petersburg in January and one thing is that you have to exchange money into roubles on arrival in Russia and they're worthless outside of the Country.

Old 08-10-2011, 05:42 PM

27,093 posts, read 5,918,284 times
Stolen parka = really bad news. But then perhaps you will not ever take it off, so problem solved!

I have no info for you, just curious....sounds very interesting.... a good native guide can get things done and smooth the way if predicaments arise.. tell them just what it is you want to do and see-they will know the best routes, places etc.

Besides, you might help, as you could meet up with bandits, or Genghis Khan descendants, or even Yeti or Sasquatch or whatever lives in Siberia.

Sounds great. But you go ahead and have fun. I hate cold.

(
Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post
Call me crazy, but my goal next winter is to travel to Siberia in January and be there when it is at least 40 below.

Have any of you been to Siberia in the winter? I must say I'm really wanting to do this and am actually more concerned about no one understanding english than i am about the cold. Would you advise me to find a Russian and English speaking guide or would I get by OK traveling solo knowing just a few words of Russian?

I've done a bit of prelim research and it looks like flying into Yakustk from Moscow is the best bet. From there I'm hoping to travel to either Verkhoyansk or Oymyakon (coldest inhabitated place in the world)!!

I know it can somethimes drop to -60F or less in the winter so I will be totally prepared with a super warm parka (Canada Goose), mittens, long underwear, etc----but I am wondering how cold it would have to get before all transportation comes to a halt (especially airline service).

Lastly, how safe it is to visit in terms of crime? I'm a bit worried that I'd have my parka stolen and be in real trouble then!!! Do I have to worry about this more than I would visiting Alaska or NW Territories of Canada in the winter?

Old 08-10-2011, 09:58 PM

2,958 posts, read 11,358,915 times
You're full of goose feathers.

I lived in Russia for 5 years and...Russia is NOT Canada.

You'll die quickly in some crappy POS Canadian parka and sorry outback ski boots. You my friend, are a poseur.

Let me just ask you this for starters....

Do you have a Russian Letter of Invitation and Russian visa? Huh?
Do you speak Russian?? Because if you don't speak Russian you're up s#it creek, as there is NO ENGLISH in Russia, no matter what kind of coat and boots you are wearing.

Prattle on, my friend.

Old 08-10-2011, 10:12 PM

933 posts, read 1,716,529 times
I don't see the need for you to travel that far. If you're lucky in Fairbanks, you'll get at least a full week of -40 and below for high temps. The winter of 1971 was particularly harsh for Alaska. Scroll down for the daily temps, looks no different than Siberia to me, except much milder.
History : Weather Underground

If you're going to Siberia, I'll be there to document your last day of living. Just kidding!
BTW, Canadian goose does not make the warmest parkas. The max. fill power of their top down parka is around 600, good enough but not the warmest. The Himalayan parka from The North Face is the world's warmest, with a max. fill power of 800, the highest possibly available. You can also buy the full body suit!

Old 08-10-2011, 10:46 PM

2,958 posts, read 11,358,915 times
^^^
Riiiight. Both of ya, dipshiz. Just what you want to do in outback Russia, show up 10,000 miles from home in some kind of Sasquatch spacesuit.

Let me give you a hint here: This is a bad idea.

Arrogant people should stay home no matter what the climate.

There is no cure for pretentiousness.

Old 08-10-2011, 11:29 PM

16,411 posts, read 26,246,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
^^^
Riiiight. Both of ya, dipshiz. Just what you want to do in outback Russia, show up 10,000 miles from home in some kind of Sasquatch spacesuit.

Let me give you a hint here: This is a bad idea.

Arrogant people should stay home no matter what the climate.

There is no cure for pretentiousness.
While it seems the OP is planning an unrealistic trip, the only one being arrogant/pretentious is you..

Old 08-11-2011, 12:03 AM

17,032 posts, read 26,885,461 times
I've been at -40 C and F in Ft McMurray, AB (and Minneapolis for that matter). Why travel halfway around the world to experience cold. Fairbanks or Barrow may be the same effect. Maybe somewhere in NWT.

Old 08-11-2011, 12:49 AM

933 posts, read 1,716,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
I've been at -40 C and F in Ft McMurray, AB (and Minneapolis for that matter). Why travel halfway around the world to experience cold. Fairbanks or Barrow may be the same effect. Maybe somewhere in NWT.
None of those places can guarantee -40 temperature. The average low for Barrow is -20, -18 for Fairbanks, -23 for Yellowknife, and Oymyakon, Siberia is -60. I've been following their weather forecast and -75 is to them as common as snowfall over Chicago in January. There plenty of tourists traveling to Siberia in the winter time to experience the cold, I'm sure you won't be the lone wolf. The best advice is to not venture far away from civilization. I don't think you should be worrying about crimes in Oymyakon. No one in Oymyakon would be that cruel to steal your parka and let you rot in the cold. The people there are hardworking, diligent folks, not sadistic and atrocious like you'd think.

Old 08-11-2011, 03:11 AM

5,599 posts, read 8,287,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post

Don't know if you've seen this site already, but people do go to Omyakon in the winter independently: Do-it-yourself travel Yakutsk to Oymyakon, Pole of Cold | AskYakutia.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel