U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 12:17 PM

22,783 posts, read 16,859,428 times

Advertisements

My fear of flying started about a decade or so ago. I used to do courier work and would deliver parts to Boeing. The warehouses were gigantic, no one knew where anyone else was, and sometimes they dropped the parts. The running joke, no matter which warehouse or hangar I was in was, "That's why we call it, 'Boing!'" And they would laugh. I'm thinking, "That goes on an airplane! I don't find that funny!"

While doing this job, there was a flight that originated from Mexico and was making a stop in LA and then on to Sea-Tac. I don't remember if it was during take off or landing but it was out over the ocean near LAX when it crashed.

Everyone was killed.

The culprit of the crash? A part that was not working properly. Someone who knew about this had been trying to warn people that this part was not working, he was called a "whistle blower", he was fired from his job, and treated like a pariah. Some time later, exactly what he said would happen, happened.

You know, I just don't feel that secure with a bunch of bureaucrats and telling people not to talk and allowing things to go unchecked just because it might cost some money.

I'm not only putting my trust in to the pilot, I now apparently have to trust every other passenger not to fricken blow us up or take over the plane, I have to trust every single person who has ever touched a part on the plane from the mechanic, engineers, etc. all the way down to warehouse workers and couriers.

That's a hell of a lot of people to trust and frankly, I've seen the way people work. Most people don't do diddly squat. In many companies, you could get rid of about 80% of the people and still be productive since that 80% weren't productive to begin with. But I'm supposed to trust them?

I don't know that any class will get me over that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 06:44 PM

4,836 posts, read 10,198,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
My fear of flying started about a decade or so ago. I used to do courier work and would deliver parts to Boeing. The warehouses were gigantic, no one knew where anyone else was, and sometimes they dropped the parts. The running joke, no matter which warehouse or hangar I was in was, "That's why we call it, 'Boing!'" And they would laugh. I'm thinking, "That goes on an airplane! I don't find that funny!"

While doing this job, there was a flight that originated from Mexico and was making a stop in LA and then on to Sea-Tac. I don't remember if it was during take off or landing but it was out over the ocean near LAX when it crashed.

Everyone was killed.

The culprit of the crash? A part that was not working properly. Someone who knew about this had been trying to warn people that this part was not working, he was called a "whistle blower", he was fired from his job, and treated like a pariah. Some time later, exactly what he said would happen, happened.

You know, I just don't feel that secure with a bunch of bureaucrats and telling people not to talk and allowing things to go unchecked just because it might cost some money.

That's a hell of a lot of people to trust and frankly, I've seen the way people work. Most people don't do diddly squat. In many companies, you could get rid of about 80% of the people and still be productive since that 80% weren't productive to begin with. But I'm supposed to trust them?

I don't know that any class will get me over that.
Alaska Airlines Flight 261 which was an MD-80 which Boeing did end up buying the company that made the MD-80 Mcdonal Douglas but Boeing did not make that plane or any MD-... anythings or DC-anythings. They only made a modified version the Boeing 717.
Over 80% of airplane crashes general aviation or commercial are pilot error. Also if a part broke from just falling down a shelf or out of box how would it survive a normal landing at 140mph?
Alaska 261 was a freak accident and it was fixed on all planes of that model since. Once something in just about anywhere in the world happens like that ALL airplanes of that type in the US are fixed ASAP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Uh ... Flying lessons are not cheap ... I know someone who did that for a while (no fear of flying .. just a passion) but had to stop because it was too pricey ...
No they are not but niether is a doctor. First flights are usually pretty cheap and can even be free. After that probably about $100 a lesson. To get a private pilot license it usually cost around $5000 it take around 50 hours of flying so I think $100 an hour is a decent estimate.
I'm not only putting my trust in to the pilot, I now apparently have to trust every other passenger not to fricken blow us up or take over the plane, I have to trust every single person who has ever touched a part on the plane from the mechanic, engineers, etc. all the way down to warehouse workers and couriers.

Old 08-17-2011, 10:00 PM

11,940 posts, read 21,566,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post

No they are not but niether is a doctor. First flights are usually pretty cheap and can even be free. After that probably about $100 a lesson. To get a private pilot license it usually cost around $5000 it take around 50 hours of flying so I think $100 an hour is a decent estimate.
You're out of touch, most places these days a plane, even an older 172 or Warrior, will run $100+fuel surcharge+instructor of $30-$60/hr. It ain't cheap anymore.

A private license these days will run the average person about eight grand, give or take.

Old 08-17-2011, 10:21 PM

5,177 posts, read 8,705,154 times
Smile Well, I did it

I went with the thought of what was at the destination (seeing my daughter who I really miss) and then on the way back (flying at night), we were in bad weather for a while but once we got to Georgia, it calmed down and it was truly smooth sailing.

I actually felt pretty comfortable.

(flew Delta)

Old 08-17-2011, 10:22 PM

5,177 posts, read 8,705,154 times
Smile Flying at night

I actually enjoyed flying at night. Any thoughts on this from anyone?

Old 08-21-2011, 06:53 PM

9,421 posts, read 17,417,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
In many ways it's the best time.
If dealing with commercial flights, crowds are waaaay down. Planes are sometimes nearly empty, as are terminals.
The air is smoother, especially at lower and middle altitudes during take-offs and landings. (That's because turbulence is often caused by convection activity, a product of sunshine.)
It's more peaceful. Passengers tend to sleep, but if you choose not to you can enjoy the bright stars or light patterns on the ground, picking out highways, small towns and cities. (This assumes you get a window seat or can move into one after departure.)

Old 08-22-2011, 12:30 AM

10,234 posts, read 13,998,763 times
I, too, have a fear of flying, and most of the time I pop a valium or muscle-relaxant before the trip. After my last trip I probably need to do it ALL of the time.

When we flew to New Orleans in April we had to sit in the very back row and the seats didn't recline. Still don't know why but my back ended up in such excrutiating cramps that my husband had to firmly massage it a good half of the time. Seriously, there was one point where I thought I'd need emergency landing. I had NOT taken anything for it before boarding because I didn't expect a problem, but I sure took a relaxant before boarding the connecting flight.

Old 08-22-2011, 08:44 AM

2,756 posts, read 5,327,787 times
Quote:
To add to the excellent points wyonewk stated, you may also, if you are lucky get an upgrade. Generally speaking, this is a less stressful time to fly both for passengers and the flight crew.

Old 08-22-2011, 12:18 PM

4,836 posts, read 10,198,675 times
Quote:
I like to have a nice mix of the two but yes flying at night is great. Skies are usually smoother and the views are city lights and the stars are great.

Old 08-22-2011, 12:47 PM

8,225 posts, read 14,950,662 times
I so understand the fear of flying - omg, I'm a basket case everytime we go on vacation. 4-5 times a year, roundtrip to somewhere - in/out of either ERW or JFK. It's take-off and landing that get me the most but good grief, flying over the mountains makes me squeak and eek with every bit of "lumpy air". Back in my late teens and early 20s, I was a frequent flyer - to/from Newark to Tri-Cities with no problems landing in Charleston, WV. Now, 30 and 40 years later, I'm a horrible flyer. I take a muscle relaxer and even if I doze, I wake up with every bump. That's IF I get to doze. The flight to/from Spain was horrendous. I was sick for 2 days each way - not from jetlag, from being such a ball of nerves.

Although I will say that the last 2 trips were not bad at all. We switched to first class and it has made a big difference, although take-off and landing were no different. I'm better with landing than with take-off. I know that those are the times windshear tends to strike most and the airports we fly in/out of are among the busiest. I read the papers and know how often there are near misses and a friend who was in training for flight control in the navy laughs while telling a story about how he had 2 opposing circles of flights landing at the same time - one clockwise, the other counter. Yeah yeah - funny to him. Who else might have a dingaling controller in the tower? Or maybe one who just had a fight with his wife or her child is sick. PAY ATTENTION here!

And yet.... I get in planes maybe 10 times a year cuz I know my fear is irrational.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel