U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 07:55 AM

1,935 posts, read 3,751,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I don't usually include 2 people, and I could find a ticket for 300 dollars to most places in USA. Did you include the hotel that you probably stay in in your price?

The math works out quite well.
For only one person it could be about the same, but don't forget "taxes and fees" on top of that $300 price.

And no, I didn't include a hotel, because my wife and I trade shifts and do the trip all in one go. When I drive, she sleeps. When she drives, I sleep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2011, 11:35 AM

38,897 posts, read 20,196,252 times
For those with a fear of flying, don't fly out of John Wayne Airport (SNA) in Orange County, CA ...

Old 11-12-2011, 11:43 AM

889 posts, read 680,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
When my wife and I go to see her family, the round trip drive is approximately 2,600 miles. Her car gets 30 mpg on the highway, and even at an average gas price of $3.50/gallon (consuming 2600/30 = approximately 87 gallons of gas), the total price for fuel comes to $304.50. Furthermore, we can pack a carful of stuff if needed.

We'd be lucky to get ONE coach-class airline ticket for that price. And that assumes no cost for anything else like parking, transportation to and from the airport, etc. And forget about packing a carful of stuff at $25 per checked bag.

I really don't know how the math would ever work out in favor of flying unless you're going overseas.
You spent 48+ hours on the road...doing nothing but driving? Wow impressive.

Jets go 500-600 mph depending on which way you go (east or west). IMO that's a good $300 spent...you're essentially valuing your time at $3.50/hr per person.

Old 11-12-2011, 01:12 PM

16,411 posts, read 26,278,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
For those with a fear of flying, don't fly out of John Wayne Airport (SNA) in Orange County, CA ...

I am tempted to book a round trip from SNA simply for the fact that it gets so much hype haha. Is it exaggerated or really a cool airport to take off from?

Old 11-12-2011, 02:39 PM

1,935 posts, read 3,751,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipsters View Post

Jets go 500-600 mph depending on which way you go (east or west). IMO that's a good $300 spent...you're essentially valuing your time at $3.50/hr per person.
I am 6'2". My wife is 6'3". We're also not exactly small in the horizontal direction. Plus, if we want to sleep in the passenger seat, it reclines all the way back and doesn't slam into someone else's knees. More comfort, less cost... that's worth some time. Not to mention, we like to talk without having to worry about others overhearing our conversation.

There's also that little issue about trouble... when your car breaks down, you pull over, call AAA, and even if it can't be fixed, they'll get you a rental car so you can continue on your way if you so desire. When your airplane breaks down, if you're lucky to land in one piece without being aflame, you're probably not landing at your intended airport... and you have to deal with getting a seat on an already overbooked connecting flight to (hopefully) your intended airport.

Not having to deal with that.... priceless.

Old 11-12-2011, 11:51 PM

38,897 posts, read 20,196,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I am tempted to book a round trip from SNA simply for the fact that it gets so much hype haha. Is it exaggerated or really a cool airport to take off from?
According to my friend who has flown zillions of times outta SNA ... The Airplane runs down the runway at a much faster pace versus other airports to gain speed then takes off at a 45 degree angle to rapidly get up to a certain altitude then cuts back on the motor all in order to just coast over Newport Beach (which is in the direct flight pathway) due to the stupid noise abatement policy enacted by spoiled county leaders who reside in NB ...

Some posters have stated that the pilots warn passengers prior to take off but the very first time he took off from this airport, he had NO idea what was about to take place ... This is a guy who LOVES flying and has even taken flying lessons ... We are not talking about someone who is afraid of flying .... He HATES the SNA-style take-off.

Old 11-13-2011, 08:58 AM

4,836 posts, read 10,204,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
I am 6'2". My wife is 6'3". We're also not exactly small in the horizontal direction. Plus, if we want to sleep in the passenger seat, it reclines all the way back and doesn't slam into someone else's knees. More comfort, less cost... that's worth some time. Not to mention, we like to talk without having to worry about others overhearing our conversation.

There's also that little issue about trouble... when your car breaks down, you pull over, call AAA, and even if it can't be fixed, they'll get you a rental car so you can continue on your way if you so desire. When your airplane breaks down, if you're lucky to land in one piece without being aflame, you're probably not landing at your intended airport... and you have to deal with getting a seat on an already overbooked connecting flight to (hopefully) your intended airport.

Not having to deal with that.... priceless.
Wow, well if you do not mind it than power to you. Guess no weekend vacations anywhere far for you.. 2 days on the road straight that is crazy.

Old 11-13-2011, 11:08 AM

47,573 posts, read 60,717,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipsters View Post

But where you're wrong is that you're never just driving, you're seeing the country, you see the moutains, deserts, hills. You can get out and stretch and see some wonderful scenery or stop along the road at a diner.

On a plane you see nothing of the miles of roads you're passing over. You don't see the trees, the hills, the cities.

And like someone else said there aren't all the hidded costs like there are in airplane travel. Food is cheaper, you have many more options. The scenery is certainly more appealing, you aren't treated like a sheep, no standing in lines, no being patted down or shot up with x-rays.

Old 11-13-2011, 11:16 AM

47,573 posts, read 60,717,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
I so understand the fear of flying - omg, I'm a basket case everytime we go on vacation. 4-5 times a year, roundtrip to somewhere - in/out of either ERW or JFK. It's take-off and landing that get me the most but good grief, flying over the mountains makes me squeak and eek with every bit of "lumpy air". Back in my late teens and early 20s, I was a frequent flyer - to/from Newark to Tri-Cities with no problems landing in Charleston, WV. Now, 30 and 40 years later, I'm a horrible flyer. I take a muscle relaxer and even if I doze, I wake up with every bump. That's IF I get to doze. The flight to/from Spain was horrendous. I was sick for 2 days each way - not from jetlag, from being such a ball of nerves.

Although I will say that the last 2 trips were not bad at all. We switched to first class and it has made a big difference, although take-off and landing were no different. I'm better with landing than with take-off. I know that those are the times windshear tends to strike most and the airports we fly in/out of are among the busiest. I read the papers and know how often there are near misses and a friend who was in training for flight control in the navy laughs while telling a story about how he had 2 opposing circles of flights landing at the same time - one clockwise, the other counter. Yeah yeah - funny to him. Who else might have a dingaling controller in the tower? Or maybe one who just had a fight with his wife or her child is sick. PAY ATTENTION here!

And yet.... I get in planes maybe 10 times a year cuz I know my fear is irrational.
I can see flying when it's a necessity like a business trip but flying and airports aren't relaxing unless you like the hurry up and wait. You have to stress over getting to the airport on time, your connecting flights and gates and terminals. They tell you be there two hours early and you should be - but then you sit around in the most uncomfortable seating. Most people stare off into space but some pretend to be reading inspite of the poor lighting and noise.

I can't see flying for vacations when you should try to get in some relaxation.

Old 11-13-2011, 01:38 PM

16,411 posts, read 26,278,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
But where you're wrong is that you're never just driving, you're seeing the country, you see the moutains, deserts, hills. You can get out and stretch and see some wonderful scenery or stop along the road at a diner.

On a plane you see nothing of the miles of roads you're passing over. You don't see the trees, the hills, the cities.

And like someone else said there aren't all the hidded costs like there are in airplane travel. Food is cheaper, you have many more options. The scenery is certainly more appealing, you aren't treated like a sheep, no standing in lines, no being patted down or shot up with x-rays.

Driving might not have hidden fees, but car troubles, flat tires, added food along the way, hotels, time. All of that stuff adds up, also , if you are even somewhat educated on airline travel, there's really no such thing as a hidden fee while flying
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel