U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 11:43 AM

1,254 posts, read 1,305,553 times

Advertisements

I just can't grasp why so many are so afraid flying commercially. I mean, not only are you more far more likely to be killed in the car than on an airline flight, but you are still far more likely to die choking on food.

The amount of risk you are subjecting yourself to on an airline flight is far less than in day-to-day life.

Even in a single engine Cessna, I still feel slightly safer than on the road and that is far more dangerous than flying the airlines, but still darn safe if you eliminate the 80% of those crashes that are caused by pivate pilots doing dumb stuff like flying overweight, stalling, flying in clouds with out an instrument rating (same as JFK Jr did).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 11:49 AM

1,254 posts, read 1,305,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealtite View Post
I don't fly, nor will I ever. Sure, it's the second-safest form of travel next to taking a train, but I don't care. If something goes wrong, chances are you're f*cked, and you're gonna die a horrible and gory death. No thanks. I'd rather plunk down the extra dough for my long-haul trips via rail, than wind up running the risk of looking like a plate of lasagna flung into the branches of the tree on the side of a ****ing mountain somewhere.
Not true at all.

Did you miss what happened when Capt Sully landed in the Hudson. I could give many other examples, but I'm sure it wouldn't matter to you because you are set in your ways. Despite what the media wants you to believe, planes just don't "fall out of the sky". Even if all the engines quit, it sill can glide down just like when you let up on the gas yet you car coasts down slowly.

I'd much rather die like that instead of from a painful slow cancer in a hospital bed or from debilitating heart disease.

When my time is up, its up! Not that I'm reckless and cavilear about risk taking, but once I take reasonable steps to recognise and manage risk, I don't obsess about it past that.

Old 12-08-2011, 12:51 AM

1,237 posts, read 1,636,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post
Not true at all.

Did you miss what happened when Capt Sully landed in the Hudson. I could give many other examples, but I'm sure it wouldn't matter to you because you are set in your ways.
That happened in an Airbus. If I ever have to fly (which unfortunately I will probably have to do in the near future), It'll be on an Airbus. Way too many issues with the 727 & 737's for me to justify stepping foot on one.

I consider myself a non-flyer now, but that doesn't mean I've never done it in the past. I have. Many times when I was a kid, and once in my adult life. It was on an Airbus a-320, and it was (my luck) an extremely turbulent flight. People were gasping it was so bad.

Old 12-08-2011, 05:26 PM

16,411 posts, read 26,220,997 times
Quote:
That happened in an Airbus. If I ever have to fly (which unfortunately I will probably have to do in the near future), It'll be on an Airbus. Way too many issues with the 727 & 737's for me to justify stepping foot on one.

I consider myself a non-flyer now, but that doesn't mean I've never done it in the past. I have. Many times when I was a kid, and once in my adult life. It was on an Airbus a-320, and it was (my luck) an extremely turbulent flight. People were gasping it was so bad.
pshhhh , Boeing is wayyyy better! Have fun with your speed sensors hahaha

Old 12-08-2011, 09:25 PM

8,335 posts, read 9,792,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
pshhhh , Boeing is wayyyy better! Have fun with your speed sensors hahaha
Yep

Air France 447 Flight-Data Recorder Transcript - What Really Happened Aboard Air France 447 - Popular Mechanics

Old 12-09-2011, 04:36 PM

2,445 posts, read 4,431,735 times
Quote:

Uh, you do know that the 727 hasn't been in any significant passenger service in America in close to a decade, right? And you're afraid to be on a 737? That's the best selling commercial aircraft in history.

What are some of these "way too many issues" that you have with it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel