Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 02:01 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,914,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAVC View Post
We have 6 nights reserved in London (non-refundable) and are planning to see the city and go for a couple of day trips to Canterbury/Dover and Salisbury/Stonehedge. That leaves us with 4 nights to be spent elsewhere in England - I am thinking Midlands (or somewhere around there). I would love us to stay at a B&B or a comfortable hotel somewhere in a small town/village and drive around to visit what's left - Oxford, Bath, etc. Any suggestions of where to stay during these 4 nights would really help. We are a family of four - parents and two teenage sons. We are not looking for anything fancy, just clean and basic comfort. Would like to stay close to $200/night. Also, any tips on car rentals would be great!

Thank you!
While you are staying in London I do not recommend renting a car. Most of the places you have mentioned for day trips can be accessed by train. That is certainly true for Canterbury/Dover/Oxford/Bath. Why bother with the hassle of traffic congestion and the expense of parking and petrol (gas)?

Incidentally, Dover is not all that interesting other than the castle. I also agree that Stonehenge is overrated.

Your other 4 days give you the chance to see another side of the UK. I would recommend renting a car for these 4 days ... possibly dropping it off at the airport on your way home .... and focussing on small towns and villages rather than "tourist sites". That will give you a better feel for the UK than the tourist circuit. Remember that the UK is not all that big and you can cover quite a lot of ground in a day (e.g. I can drive London to Glasgow in 6 hours). I would pick a direction ... the south west (Dorset, Devon, Cornwall) or the east (Essex, Norfolk, etc.) and plan a route. There is plenty of places of interest that tourists do not tend to see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2011, 10:10 AM

564 posts, read 1,720,564 times
Sorry, I didn't get a chance to come back here for a few day. Great! Thank you everybody, this is very helpful!!

OK, so we are leaving this coming Friday. We will not get a car during the first part of our visit (London), however, we are getting a car for the last 6 days of the vacation. Our hotel is in a residential area in London (closer to the suburbs), so I am hoping that parking the car there for two night will not be a big deal.

I have a question - should I make reservations for a B&B now, or play it by the ear? My husband would prefer not to reserve anything in advance, but then I am concerned that we will not get the best for our money, or not able to easily find a room that sleeps 4. Any thoughts?

Old 08-21-2011, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Sorry, I didn't get a chance to come back here for a few day. Great! Thank you everybody, this is very helpful!!

OK, so we are leaving this coming Friday. We will not get a car during the first part of our visit (London), however, we are getting a car for the last 6 days of the vacation. Our hotel is in a residential area in London (closer to the suburbs), so I am hoping that parking the car there for two night will not be a big deal.

I have a question - should I make reservations for a B&B now, or play it by the ear? My husband would prefer not to reserve anything in advance, but then I am concerned that we will not get the best for our money, or not able to easily find a room that sleeps 4. Any thoughts?
Personally, I would play it by ear. That gives you flexibility in terms of where you go, making detours, etc.

Old 08-21-2011, 01:51 PM

564 posts, read 1,720,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Personally, I would play it by ear. That gives you flexibility in terms of where you go, making detours, etc.
Sure, that sounds good, but are we going to run into problems for not finding a room for 4 at a reasonable price? And then we have to run around for hours each night to look for a place? I am not sure what to do... School is still out until mid-September, so we are still inthe busy season...

Old 08-21-2011, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Sure, that sounds good, but are we going to run into problems for not finding a room for 4 at a reasonable price? And then we have to run around for hours each night to look for a place? I am not sure what to do... School is still out until mid-September, so we are still inthe busy season...
I honestly do not know the answer to that dilemma. It may be that you end up with two rooms for two.

Old 08-23-2011, 03:10 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,619,938 times
Quote:
I would personally book ahead as it is still high season and as you say harder to find a room for 4 people if you have a budget. If you were doing this in Fall or Winter I don't think that would be an issue but it is better to err on the side of caution at this time of year. Then again I am a bit of a prudent freak !

Old 08-23-2011, 10:37 AM

16,656 posts, read 17,422,433 times
Find out in advance where the Tourist Information Board centres are where you intend to go, or at least get their telephone numbers.

I think you can check for late booking accommodation with them.

Here you go;

Tourist Information Centres in the UK. Find any TIC in Britain here

By the way- avoid using 0870 telephone numbers which are at a premium rate.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:54 AM

167 posts, read 469,985 times
I would suggest York for 2 days and then go to see the zoo in Chester.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:55 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Consider staying in London for a few nights of theater, theater, theater and Soho.

Old 09-11-2011, 11:53 PM

2 posts, read 1,447 times
London city is the best place for England vacation,there you can find some best hotels where you can feel royal comfort and Boutique hotels services are better then other hotels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel