U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-25-2011, 06:33 AM
 
Location: Earth Wanderer, longing for the stars.
12,408 posts, read 16,475,201 times
Reputation: 8776

Advertisements

Has anyone caught any parasite during their travels? If so, what precautions are you taking now?

I doubt if the travel business would warn people much of this problem, unless they legally have an obligation.

I have spoken to a parasitologist from Europe who said most Western systems of medicine do not even touch training in major groups of parasites from third world nations. Our labs miss more than they spot and doctors have no adequate training.

I dated a bacteriologist who would eat no fish, saying under a microscope they were filthy compared to other animals(especially shell fish which are bottom feeders and most of the crap in the oceans drop to the bottom).

Worm eggs, I am told, are smaller than a grain of sand. Easy to miss.

I imagine freezing food would kill most things (not some fungi), or cooking well, but I would not eat raw meat or fish of any kind.

Ok, we all contain parasites. They stimulate our immune systems. I still think they do damage. Why do some immune systems fail and others not? How come some people manage to survive MRSA and others succumb with the common flu?

How do you protect yourself?
I mean, you could be infected in one place and not know it until months later, not knowing even what food in which country caused the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-25-2011, 08:27 AM
 
1,096 posts, read 4,092,918 times
Reputation: 1095
Good to be preprared and aware of things but don't make yourself paranoid lol

I made the mistake of watching that show monsters inside me right before my last trip to jamaica, don't make that mistake lol.

If you havn't seen the show it's basicfally about people who get parasites, its pretty scarey and like you said most doctors aren't aware or dont even test for this stuff so in most of the stories the people are going to multiple doctors nad near death by the time they get lucky and just find that one doctor who happenned to do a dissertation on that very thing in college or something crazy like that.

Certain regions have certain parasides. Use common sense. Dont walk barefoot through grass in Jamaica animal crap on the beach and in grasses gives you hookworm. Very rare but sand fleas which are at pretty much any beach destination can lay eggs inside your skin if they bite you.

All this is pretty rare but still something to be aware of. I was watching an episode of no reservations and they said not to sit on logs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2011, 04:12 PM
 
Location: Earth Wanderer, longing for the stars.
12,408 posts, read 16,475,201 times
Reputation: 8776
Yes, I cannot see going on a tour and the guide warning you of all this, so you are kind of on your own. There should be a book telling you what to be aware of in which countries.

This is why, if I go to third world countries, I am thinking of some reputable agency that has experts to draw on like Smithsonian or National Geographic. I'll bet they're honest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2011, 09:52 AM
 
Location: SoCal
6,064 posts, read 9,526,027 times
Reputation: 5789
Center for Disease Control Travel Health site (recommended by the US State Department website): Travelers' Health - CDC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2011, 08:30 PM
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
56,026 posts, read 54,537,410 times
Reputation: 66369
I know someone who died from a parasite ingested while traveling to a foreign country. Somewhere in South America, if I recall. The parasitic infection wasn't detected right away and he had some undiagnosed liver issues due to long-term drinking that affected his immune response. Was in his early fifties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2011, 09:03 PM
 
Location: Went around the corner & now I'm lost!!!!
1,550 posts, read 3,075,421 times
Reputation: 1219
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Has anyone caught any parasite during their travels? If so, what precautions are you taking now?

I doubt if the travel business would warn people much of this problem, unless they legally have an obligation.

I have spoken to a parasitologist from Europe who said most Western systems of medicine do not even touch training in major groups of parasites from third world nations. Our labs miss more than they spot and doctors have no adequate training.

I dated a bacteriologist who would eat no fish, saying under a microscope they were filthy compared to other animals(especially shell fish which are bottom feeders and most of the crap in the oceans drop to the bottom).

Worm eggs, I am told, are smaller than a grain of sand. Easy to miss.

I imagine freezing food would kill most things (not some fungi), or cooking well, but I would not eat raw meat or fish of any kind.

Ok, we all contain parasites. They stimulate our immune systems. I still think they do damage. Why do some immune systems fail and others not? How come some people manage to survive MRSA and others succumb with the common flu?

How do you protect yourself?
I mean, you could be infected in one place and not know it until months later, not knowing even what food in which country caused the problem.
Most of us have some type of parasite because we don't wash (not rinse) off our fruits & veggies; we allow our pets to sleep and lick you in the face after they stuck their nose or ate another animal's poop. But you can maintain a good immune system and ward off parasites with garlic, oregano, sage,thyme,cayenne peppers along with a colon cleanse which helps remove the parasites out you digestive system. Sulfur is the main ingredient in garlic to chase off the critters. So go to the health store and buy those oil in capsule form and take them. They have other product there that would interest you too. When I go camping I take a sock full of sulfur and tap it on my shoes and socks to keep the insect off me and around the tent to keep the snakes away along with crawling insects. I even add sulfur to mineral oil and rub in on my skin too. IT SMELLS BAD but it does a great job
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2011, 10:35 AM
 
Location: Earth Wanderer, longing for the stars.
12,408 posts, read 16,475,201 times
Reputation: 8776
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Center for Disease Control Travel Health site (recommended by the US State Department website): Travelers' Health - CDC
Half the worms on the planet have not yet been even named. Most Western doctors are not trained (especially in the U.S.) in the treatment of things you can pick up in the far and mid east. There are NO warnings about these things usually.

We, humans, can pick up the same worm infestations as cattle but veterinarians cannot treat people and regular 'people' labs and physicians cannot detect them. I am mentioning this because there is a clinical trial going on in the US right now which is tapping into the few medical minds in the world who can work with these things and attempting to disseminate the information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2011, 10:37 AM
 
Location: Earth Wanderer, longing for the stars.
12,408 posts, read 16,475,201 times
Reputation: 8776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I know someone who died from a parasite ingested while traveling to a foreign country. Somewhere in South America, if I recall. The parasitic infection wasn't detected right away and he had some undiagnosed liver issues due to long-term drinking that affected his immune response. Was in his early fifties.
And the irony here is that many parasites do not handle alcohol well. Muslim countries, where people do not drink, are more prone to these problems than in neighboring, drinking, countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2011, 10:39 AM
 
Location: Earth Wanderer, longing for the stars.
12,408 posts, read 16,475,201 times
Reputation: 8776
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyewrist View Post
Most of us have some type of parasite because we don't wash (not rinse) off our fruits & veggies; we allow our pets to sleep and lick you in the face after they stuck their nose or ate another animal's poop. But you can maintain a good immune system and ward off parasites with garlic, oregano, sage,thyme,cayenne peppers along with a colon cleanse which helps remove the parasites out you digestive system. Sulfur is the main ingredient in garlic to chase off the critters. So go to the health store and buy those oil in capsule form and take them. They have other product there that would interest you too. When I go camping I take a sock full of sulfur and tap it on my shoes and socks to keep the insect off me and around the tent to keep the snakes away along with crawling insects. I even add sulfur to mineral oil and rub in on my skin too. IT SMELLS BAD but it does a great job
May be good against some parasites, but regardless of what Ms.Clarke says, this is all dismally ineffective against many parasites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top