U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 07:49 AM

9,126 posts, read 17,133,831 times

Advertisements

If you paid for the ticket with your Amex Card, Amex Cust, Support (all in the US). Have driect lines to the airlines. They dont go to the regular 800 number queues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2011, 08:28 AM

3,185 posts, read 7,061,671 times
Yes call Amex directly as flyonpa suggests. Glad to hear her scholarship will be preserved, such a great opportunity, she must be very excited.

Old 08-27-2011, 08:37 AM

56,037 posts, read 54,537,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
Yes call Amex directly as flyonpa suggests. Glad to hear her scholarship will be preserved, such a great opportunity, she must be very excited.
She just said, "I don't want to go to China anymore. It's too complicated." But she isn't really serious. She's been planning this for six months and even spent eight weeks this summer at an intensive, no-English program to improve her Mandarin (which is her major) in anticipation of this year of school.

She's going to call Amex. Thank you both for this suggestion! I'm not a seasoned traveler myself and would not have thought of it--but I knew I'd find smart, helpful people on the CD Travel forum!

Old 08-28-2011, 04:42 PM

Eh, just an update. Amex agent acted as if she couldn't be bothered. No help at all. She didn't even seem to understand that my daughter was asking for help rebooking a flight and waiving change charges and finally when she got it, just told her she has to call the airline herself.

She tried Continental again, still couldn't get through, but FINALLY got through to a human at Orbitz, a very helpful one, who told us that Continental already rebooked her flight. However, her trip was from the US to China and then a domestic flight within China, and Continental didn't rebook the second flight/complete the trip. The Orbitz lady couldn't get through to Continental International and told my daughter that her best bet is to go to the airport and talk to a live Continental person and get them to correct the "misconnect". So, that's probably on the agenda for tomorrow's activity.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:34 PM

3,185 posts, read 7,061,671 times
I'm sorry, I thought she had booked through Amex travel, not Orbitz, but I'm glad she finally found a person to help her (mostly).

Old 08-29-2011, 02:01 PM

6,064 posts, read 9,526,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
She just said, "I don't want to go to China anymore. It's too complicated." But she isn't really serious. ...
Oh, gosh! I hope she's not serious! I felt that way just before leaving to spend a year at university in Lyon. I am *so* glad I didn't change my mind. It's one of the best things I've ever done.

Old 08-29-2011, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Oh, gosh! I hope she's not serious! I felt that way just before leaving to spend a year at university in Lyon. I am *so* glad I didn't change my mind. It's one of the best things I've ever done.
THANK YOU. We went to the airport today to talk to a real live airline agent and she got her flight changed to tomorrow. Then she promptly had a meltdown, hysterically crying, and said she doesn't want to go. She's afraid of flying, sure she's going to die tomorrow, and wanted to just blow off the whole thing. We're talking about throwing away a scholarship that 40 other people wanted. I'm driving down the Garden State Parkway in NJ, listening to her sobbing and thinking I'm going to lose it and we're going to die in a car wreck any minute so she doesn't have to worry about plane crashes.

She talked herself out of her meltdown. When she applied for the scholarship, she'd just broken up with the five-year boyfriend and switched colleges because she hated the old one. Now there's a new boyfriend and she loves her school, and she is leaving that life where she's happy to go somewhere unknown. Anyway, she talked to the boyfriend, who absolutely assured her that she would regret throwing this opportunity away. The anxiety attack over flying abated somewhat, and she decided she IS going and apologized to all of us for her reaction. I think she's just been stressed out, too, with having the original flight cancelled due to the storm, the difficulty with getting through to reschedule, plus she was nervous the other night with the stupid storm itself, especially around 2 a.m. Sunday when the wind was howling and we were getting tornado warnings. Sensory/anxiety overload, but I think it's going to be OK.

Edit: I just read your post to her. She laughed and said, "OK, OK, I'll go."

Old 08-30-2011, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
... Edit: I just read your post to her. She laughed and said, "OK, OK, I'll go."
Oh, good! She'll likely have some really difficult moments while she's there, because it's hard to be in a completely new place with completely new people and shaky ways of communicating. But it's worth pushing through difficulties to have a great experience like extended travel.

One of my worst ... about halfway through the year, I phoned my uni back home to warn them that my grades in Lyon were going to be wretched (I really didn't speak French well enough to be able to learn). I didn't want my status to suffer from it, and wondered if I should just come home right away. They reassured me that this wasn't at all about grades, so completely not to worry about it.

I wish U.S. universities would require at least a school year's worth of out-of-country living/traveling/schooling as a requirement for a Bachelor's degree. I just feel like people who don't have that experience aren't as well-educated.

Old 08-30-2011, 03:21 PM

38,854 posts, read 20,162,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Oh, good! She'll likely have some really difficult moments while she's there, because it's hard to be in a completely new place with completely new people and shaky ways of communicating. But it's worth pushing through difficulties to have a great experience like extended travel.

One of my worst ... about halfway through the year, I phoned my uni back home to warn them that my grades in Lyon were going to be wretched (I really didn't speak French well enough to be able to learn). I didn't want my status to suffer from it, and wondered if I should just come home right away. They reassured me that this wasn't at all about grades, so completely not to worry about it.

I wish U.S. universities would require at least a school year's worth of out-of-country living/traveling/schooling as a requirement for a Bachelor's degree. I just feel like people who don't have that experience aren't as well-educated.
Not everyone has the luxury of being able to live in another country for a full-year so that should not be a requirement for a BA/BS degree. If it were a requirement, many of our nation's poor and disabled would not have access to a degree because living abroad is something that costs money that many students do not have access to. I do think that universities should encourage more students to study abroad and make it more accessible for those who are unable to afford it because it can be an enriching experience.

Old 08-30-2011, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Not everyone has the luxury of being able to live in another country for a full-year so that should not be a requirement for a BA/BS degree. If it were a requirement, many of our nation's poor and disabled would not have access to a degree because living abroad is something that costs money that many students do not have access to. I do think that universities should encourage more students to study abroad and make it more accessible for those who are unable to afford it because it can be an enriching experience.
At my university, I paid no more for my year in Lyon than I would have at home. The universities worked it out between them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel