Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 07:10 AM

363 posts, read 1,119,996 times

Advertisements

I have two questions regarding handheld GPS units; mine's a Magellan that can operate on internal battery power for a few hours. I'd like to use mine while taking a cross country flight to identify the features/cities I'm overflying. First, do they operate effectively aboard airliners? And second, is GPS use permitted while airborne?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 07:32 AM

492 posts, read 1,397,303 times
Just "Google" your question, there's over a million tags....

Old 08-25-2011, 08:15 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,000,696 times
Most airlines do not allow the use of GPS units while inflight. Some airlines come right out and say GPS units are not allow. Others simply say the use of anything that sends or receives a signal is not allowed.

Old 08-25-2011, 09:18 AM

43,619 posts, read 44,346,965 times
I believe one is not permitted to use a GPS while airborne on a commercial flight on a USA airline.

Old 08-25-2011, 09:33 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,848,998 times
We fly commercially, but also are *private pilots*.
So the question becomes, *why can I operate a GPS in my private plane* today,
and NOT have problems, while operating the same unit in a commercial carrier, *might* cause a problem ???

The Government -- We are not happy, until you are unhappy !!!

*Operating/using* a GPS, on a *commercial* flight, is nothing more than
*I like to know where I am and what is that down there ?*
So in answer to the last part of the question, yes it will work, but even better if you hold the unit near the window !

On the other hand, If I had doubts that the pilot in command,
might have problems getting to the intended destination,
I would not fly with them ...

Chava, is right in his statement that it is *illegal* on many USA based airlines ?

http://gpsinformation.net/airgps/airgps.htm.

What is the TRACK RECORD of GPS receivers in so far as EMI is concerned? Garmin and Magellan tell us that there has never been a REPORT of any problem caused to any avionics system as a result of the use of a GPS on an aircraft. No pilot or engineer on the GPS newsgroup has ever reported a GPS receiver causing interference to an avionics system on an aircraft. About 80% of the airlines in our survey permit the use of handheld GPS receivers by passengers. I believe it is safe to say, "If EMI from a handheld GPS were a problem *somebody* would have noticed it by now". My conclusion therefore is that the use of a low power GPS receiver on an aircraft is substantially less likely than a laptop computer to generate significant amounts of EMI and since laptop computers are judged "safe" then GPS receivers are "safer".

This is good enough for me to use one if and when the commercial operator allows me to do so.
BTW, my laptop, does have the capability to function as a GPS, with only a small adapter connected to it.
I am sure that most run of the mill flight attendants would have no idea that I was operating a GPS ...

Last edited by irman; 08-25-2011 at 09:48 AM..

Old 08-25-2011, 10:05 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,302,789 times
I'm also a private pilot and I use my AnywhereMap aviation software when I fly my plane. I have a copy of the software on my cell phone and I have used it while flying commercially. It is hard to get a signal unless you are sitting by a window (side of the plane facing South is best). The above poster is right that a GPS does not interfear with anything in the cockpit. If they disallow such a low power device then the yshould disallow laptops too. The business travelers would revolt if they did that. Even Big Sis isn't ready to take on that group (yet).

Old 08-25-2011, 01:46 PM

363 posts, read 1,119,996 times
Default Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcole07 View Post
Just "Google" your question, there's over a million tags....
Good advice.
I did and found some airlines permit it,some do not. It turns out the airline I'm flying next (American) has a policy that prohbits their use.

Old 08-25-2011, 03:41 PM

492 posts, read 1,397,303 times
Found this site, lists all airline: Airlines which APPROVE/DISPROVE GPS use in Flight

Old 08-25-2011, 04:34 PM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
^^^ that's the same list irman posted already

Old 08-25-2011, 04:42 PM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
I guess you cannot use phone GPS, because when you turn on the "flight mode" then the GPS goes off. The use of GPS is possible only on devices like Magellan, TomTom, Garmin etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel