U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 09:17 PM

3,767 posts, read 6,898,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
That's cold in my book but more bearable than sub-zero weather ... I would have to spend most of my time indoors so hopefully the subway system is close to the major attractions.
Many of the attractions are in and around the area referred to "The Mall". There are numerous subway stations in that area. Here is a link to the Subway website. Washington DC Metro Subway
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 09:32 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,587,252 times
You said you don't want the cold, but perhaps it's worth bundle up a bit for one week of Christmas Markets in Austria or Germany. Wonderful events where all merchants speak English for the sake of tourists from all over the world. You can combine the whole winter wonderland shebang (sleigh ride, hot mule wine, caroling, gingerbread, etc.) with your wish for a European trip that includes cultural activities (Mozart's home, St Peter's Abbey, Hohensalzburg Castle...) and culinary delights (wine, beer, chocolate, Sacher and Linzer tortes, Tyrol apple strudels, Salzburger soufflés, Tyrol dumplings...) There are guide tours if you don't want to travel alone. Travel with a tour would help a bit with the weather too (hotels and tour buses are heated.)

One week in Europe (to whet your appetite for future trips) and the other two weeks in the States, that way you'll have the best of both worlds.

And no, it won't be sub-zero weather. At least not sub-zero Fahrenheit. Zero Celsius is only 32F.

PS: I would call myself a Californian, with 26 years living in OC, and if I could handle Austrian Christmas Market with just jeans, parka with hood, gloves, and scarf, then you could too! My husband is called by his family "one of the original California beach bums", with 54 years living on Main Beach of Laguna Beach, and he was fine in Salzburg. Take a chance!

Last edited by Ol' Wanderer; 08-28-2011 at 10:01 PM..

Old 08-28-2011, 09:38 PM

9,830 posts, read 19,573,582 times
Head to the southern hemisphere.

San Antonio is nice in December as the Riverwalk is all done up in Christmas lights. It will definitely be cooler, but not unbearable.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:40 PM

38,854 posts, read 20,162,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles in PGI View Post
You said you don't want the cold, but perhaps it's worth bundle up a bit for one week of Christmas Markets in Austria or Germany. Wonderful events where all merchants speak English for the sake of tourists from all over the world. You can combine the whole winter wonderland shebang (sleigh ride, hot mule wine, caroling, gingerbread, etc.) with your wish for a European trip that includes cultural activities (Mozart's home, St Peter's Abbey, Hohensalzburg Castle...) and culinary delights (wine, beer, chocolate, Sacher and Linzer tortes, Tyrol apple strudels, Salzburger soufflés, Tyrol dumplings...) There are guide tours if you don't want to travel alone. Travel with a tour would help a bit with the weather too (hotels and tour buses are heated.)

One week in Europe (to whet your appetite for future trips) and the other two weeks in the States, that way you'll have the best of both worlds.

And no, it won't be sub-zero weather. At least not sub-zero Fahrenheit. Zero Celsius is only 32F.
Maybe I should look into that as well ... I'd imagine that prices may be lower due to the colder season ... Especially if I go the week before Christmas ...

Old 08-28-2011, 09:41 PM

38,854 posts, read 20,162,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Head to the southern hemisphere.

San Antonio is nice in December as the Riverwalk is all done up in Christmas lights. It will definitely be cooler, but not unbearable.
I've had a few folks recommend San Antonio so that also might be worthwhile to check out ... Maybe I could combine that with a Dallas visit to see relatives ...

Old 08-28-2011, 09:53 PM

4,800 posts, read 10,575,985 times
Quote:
I have three weeks off this December and would like to plan a trip. Where are some good places to visit that doesn't have extreme winter conditions (snow, daytime highs below 50 degrees, etc). I'm not much of a beach person or outdoorsy type. My ideal vacation involves sightseeing, cultural activities and culinary delights

Oh ... I will be doing this trip solo

Thanks in advance for the input and ideas
If I were going somewhere based on that criteria, it would be San Francisco. But being you're from California, that may be a bit too familiar for you.
It's not really for me, but some people would like the food and cultural offerings of New Orleans, plus the weather is fairly mild there in December. I don't know how cleaned up it is since Hurricane Katrina.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:48 AM

4,486 posts, read 4,473,957 times
Quote:
Washington DC is somewhere that I've been meaning to visit ... I wonder how severe the weather is in December though ... I'm a Southern Californian who has never experienced extreme cold temps (40 degrees is extreme for me )
Poor kid, I know how you feel about the weather.

I'm a native Floridian living in Colorado and I have yet to acclimate myself. It's been 18 years so, any day now.

DC might be a little chilly but there are so many museums to visit and other indoor things to do that the cold shouldn't be much of an issue.

If you do go, take a drive down Embassy Row. The guards outside of the Greek and Saudi Embassies used to put on quite a show.

Whatever you do, have fun and be safe!

Old 08-29-2011, 10:46 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,547 posts, read 39,934,465 times
Quote:
I've had a few folks recommend San Antonio so that also might be worthwhile to check out ... Maybe I could combine that with a Dallas visit to see relatives ...
I second this, and always have a great time in SA. (be sure to do the Mission Trail to a series of nearby Missions (will need a car or tour))

Lighted Riverwalk is very nice and relaxing, often musical groups touring via ferries.

I also spend considerable time in the Hill Country (Comfort, TX, Kerrville, Ingram, Fredrickburg (fun German winter festival), LBJ Ranch, Canyon Lake, Wimberley...)

Regional food is diverse and good.

Austin is worth a visit while so near (and may have better airfare).

Have your Dallas Family come and meet you, TX use the Hill country as their retreat.

I stay in private Guest homes ($10 / night). Some of my most memorable and fun stays are in SA / Hill Country region (as recent as last yr). One couple wanted to be gone for the weekend, so I remained in their home and took care of the farm chores. I traveled regionally (daytrips) while doing this and had a great time (and a terrific stay).

I get a priceline car ~ $10 / day unlimited mileage, and eat on $3/day (grocery stores). I can travel cheaper than staying home (high property taxes).

For international trips, yes do the southern Hemisphere, but avoid really HOT places / monsoon season. (Cook Islands is a favorite)

Old 08-29-2011, 01:55 PM

6,064 posts, read 9,526,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaBeurman View Post
I was going to suggest the Keys but...

Have you considered Washington DC? The Smithsonian is a great place, the National Arboretum, and tons of other places in the area. If it still exists- the Chesapeake Bay Seafood House ( it's a chain ) is a great place to eat as is the Associates Dining Room at the Smith.

Or, there's always Vegas!

Isn't DC likely to be colder than 50's in the winter? But if not, I'd second DC for a place to go on your own. And if you 'finish' with DC but still have time, you can just catch a train up to Baltimore/New York and down into Virginia.

Old 08-29-2011, 01:57 PM

6,064 posts, read 9,526,027 times
Quote:
Hmmm ... I'll have to look into AZ and Charlotte ... I've heard of Sedona, AZ but not sure what there is to do ... I'm not much of an outdoorsy type so the Grand Canyon isn't high on my list.
The Grand Canyon will be cold in December, since it's at altitude.

Sedona is surrounded by georgeous scenery. I find that Sedona itself is a bit too full of itself.

Tucson and its surroundings are pretty georgous as well, but they are outdoorsy so that may not be of so much interest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or