U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 04:28 PM

12,054 posts, read 20,253,959 times

Advertisements

If you decide to go to DC, I would suggest also visiting Baltimore, Delaware, and Philly. There are lots of sightseeing opportunities.

Delaware has Winterthur and the Hagley Museum and the Kalmar Nyckel ship; Chadds Ford, PA has the Brandywine River Museum and Longwood Gardens; and Philly has the Liberty Bell, Constitution Hall, Betsy Ross House.

Visit the Baltimore Harbor and Fells Point.

Come by our home for dinner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 08:08 PM

318 posts, read 642,911 times
Another vote for San Antonio here. The summers are very hot, but the winter time is among the nicest times around here. There are a couple of days where you start the day in the 30's, but it usually heats up to the at least the 60's on most days. And often the 70's or even 80's.

While I'm not the hugest Riverwalk fan - it's a bit touristy for my taste - it is worth visiting once. The Alamo is here, and Sea World and Six Flags if you have kids or enjoy amusement parks. There are also a couple of rather new resorts here, the Westin La Cantera and a Marriott (can't remember its full name).

La Cantera is a very nice outdoor shopping center with some higher-end anchor stores. The Rim is nice, maybe not as upscale and has your standard big-box stores. And I really like Alamo Quarry, near Alamo Heights - another really nice outdoor shopping center surrounded by some good restaurants.

Austin is around an hour and a half away, and if you want to go to the ocean, it's around 2 1/2 hours to the south of San Antonio.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:46 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,781,044 times
Hmmn - December: (and you didn't limit it to the US). It would help if you specified a Veg out/one place or a rambling type visit.

Portugal - fly to Lisbon, stay in Cascais (after exploring Lisbon) and take some in-country tours. Lots of interesting things to see. Definitely hit Sintra if you like castles and Oporto for it's ambiance. Obidos is also worth a visit.

Spain - fly to Madrid, hop to Cordoba, Sevilla, Cadiz, Gibraltar, (definitely do the day ferry over to Tangiers but its advisable to go with a group day tour & hang out with a guy or two (and do cover your hair with a scarf), Malaga, Granada and then loop back to Madrid via Toledo. If you take the camel ride in Tangiers - be aware - they like to spit. Lots to see.

PS - I live just a bit north of DC and west of Baltimore. Yes, the tourist volumes are low but December weather usually is something we avoid.

Last edited by Pilgrim21784; 08-29-2011 at 08:58 PM..

Old 08-30-2011, 10:28 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,548 posts, read 39,934,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim21784 View Post
Portugal - ..
Spain - fly to Madrid, ...(or Valencia and south)

PS - I live just a bit north of DC and west of Baltimore. Yes, the tourist volumes are low but December weather usually is something we avoid.
Take heed ^^^^

I too enjoy DC region, but only in fall or late spring.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:02 AM

24,639 posts, read 24,822,206 times
If you decide to travel to Europe (and with 3 weeks, I would seriously consider it) DM me. I travel all the time.

In fact, I'm off to Dublin this week.

Old 08-30-2011, 04:00 PM

27,093 posts, read 5,888,275 times
Good ideas ^^^, but Asheville, Charlotte and DC will usually have below 50 degree temps in December.

If you are from CA then you have seen the state, we can assume....are you trying to stay in the US?

-Central/Southern Arizona is fun to visit, if you have not studied the Native American cultures...oh, the silver jewelry and pottery....the Heard Museum in Phoenix has a grand collection of Hopi Kachina dolls! And the Sonoran Desert Museum near Tucson...wonderful.

-Have not been myself...but New Orleans would be nice weatherwise and has the Creole/Cajun cultures.

-Miami is a great winter vacation....you don't have to go anywhere near SOUTH BEACH . Lots of MUseums and usually wonderful weather. Cuban culture influence all around...foods etc.

-Or Charleston SC-on a peninsula between two rivers then Charleston Harbor opens into the Atlantic Ocean. Extraordinary historical town...walking distance to museums, great restaurants, shops; the horse carriage tours past fabulous old architecture of houses and churchs. The place where the first Civil War shot was fired, so history galore..Fort Sumter and Fort Moultrie (from the Revolutionary War). Of course, old & nouvelle Southern culture and cuisine...even the Gullah cuisine, West-African influence from the past days of rice plantations etc. Southern plantations exquisitely maintained...and weather usually 60 or so for Dec.

Old 08-30-2011, 04:04 PM

38,854 posts, read 20,162,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Good ideas ^^^, but Asheville, Charlotte and DC will usually have below 50 degree temps in December.

If you are from CA then you have seen the state, we can assume....are you trying to stay in the US?

-Central/Southern Arizona is fun to visit, if you have not studied the Native American cultures...oh, the silver jewelry and pottery....the Heard Museum in Phoenix has a grand collection of Hopi Kachina dolls! And the Sonoran Desert Museum near Tucson...wonderful.

-Have not been myself...but New Orleans would be nice weatherwise and has the Creole/Cajun cultures.

-Miami is a great winter vacation....you don't have to go anywhere near SOUTH BEACH . Lots of MUseums and usually wonderful weather. Cuban culture influence all around...foods etc.

-Or Charleston SC-on a peninsula between two rivers then Charleston Harbor opens into the Atlantic Ocean. Extraordinary historical town...walking distance to museums, great restaurants, shops; the horse carriage tours past fabulous old architecture of houses and churchs. The place where the first Civil War shot was fired, so history galore..Fort Sumter and Fort Moultrie (from the Revolutionary War). Of course, old & nouvelle Southern culture and cuisine...even the Gullah cuisine, West-African influence from the past days of rice plantations etc. Southern plantations exquisitely maintained...and weather usually 60 or so for Dec.

Great ideas ... Maybe I could tour a few southern states using a combination of flying (from CA) and train travel (between the states).

Old 08-30-2011, 04:17 PM

12,054 posts, read 20,253,959 times
Charleston and Savannah are great towns. I'd probably go there. Maybe take a trip down to St. Augustine.

Old 08-30-2011, 04:21 PM

38,854 posts, read 20,162,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
Charleston and Savannah are great towns. I'd probably go there. Maybe take a trip down to St. Augustine.
I'll look into those as well

Old 08-30-2011, 05:02 PM

12 posts, read 16,706 times
Probably anywhere in the south east. I would say St. Augustine is a really nice place to visit, if your into touring the oldest city in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or