U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 11:46 AM

2,214 posts, read 2,637,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I think the only high speed trains that do not always require reservations is the German ICE (but I think it may have changed now.. last time I was there was in 2008-2009.)
They have not changed it, however for certain routes and certain times it still is strongly recommended to have a reserveration, because the trains are more or less crowed and it is no pleasant experience to stand in the aisle of an ICE for 2-3 hours.

Quote:
Just curious. Anyone ride the AVE train in Spain? What was your experience like? Did you put your luggage on below your seat or something for fear of theft? Any tips or suggestions that i need to be aware of when riding this high speed train? Thanks.
I used it several times when I was in Spain, as well as the Alfa Pendular Train in Portugal. The experience with the AVE was quite good, it was fast, clean and on time, however I had no luggage with me. In general, there is nothing to be aware of, just buy a ticket and get on the train.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 10:00 PM

6,553 posts, read 4,508,554 times
The last time I was over there (January 09) my mom got me a 21 day rail pass I think. We were in Luxembourg, so there were a lot of choices out of there: France, Germany, Belgium, Netherlands. The only one's I needed an actual ticket for was the ICE I took out of Frankfurt, and a couple overnight's I did (Germany to Copenhagen, Denmkark and Stockholm, Sweden) and an overnight from Budapest Hungary to Munich, Germany. Also, the train I took from Salzburg, Austria to Budapest I needed an actual ticket for. All those other one's I would get on the train, show the conductor my passport and pass, and I'd be on my way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel