U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 07:30 AM

5,339 posts, read 8,036,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher777 View Post
I hike in Yosemite quite often. Most of the deaths are due to foolish behavior. The three people that went over Vernal Falls, for example, were in the water on the other side of guard rails not far from the fall of water. One slipped, the others tried to help. They all ended up going over. None of them should have been in the water to begin with. Period. Need I say more.

Agreed. I was at a glacier back in July, and two people climbed over a guardrail, over a fence, and past danger signs to climb into a restricted area to take photos. One of the signs specifically said that people who had attempted to climb on the glacier had been sucked underneath it and died.

When the two women climbed back over the guardrail they told everyone standing there that they wanted pictures of themselves on the glacier for
Facebook.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 11:30 AM

9,830 posts, read 19,573,582 times
IMHO, lots of stupid people out there that lack situational awareness.

A lot of people that go to these national parks are city slickers who think of national parks as a visually stunning form of disneyland and that the animals are tame.

One of the dumb things I saw at Yellowstone last time was people getting out of their car and walking up to Buffaloes to take photos. I spent part of my youth living near the Wichita Wildlife Refuge, which has the 2nd oldest protected herd in the USA. I know what buffalo can and will do to people. I yelling out at these people to back away and these clowns told me to F off.

I told my british friend we better get the hell out of here, because it might not have a nice conclusion.

I also witnessed people getting too close to a waterfall.

At the end of the day, I don't worry about it too much, because of natural selection and it's best to let nature run it's course. People that don't respect heights and wild animals deserve what they get.

Old 09-02-2011, 08:51 AM

963 posts, read 1,523,535 times
Now, buffalo, I have seen in Yellowstone up close. Driving through the park at 5:30 in the morning, we stopped to let a buffalo cross the road. It walked right by the passenger side of the car-- an awesome sight.

But you certainly don't want to approach one. I ran this video in my newscast a couple of years ago. These people got owned.

Buffalo / Bison Attacks Woman Tourist at Yellowstone

Old 09-02-2011, 10:09 AM

21,318 posts, read 21,881,811 times
^ Looks like they actually threw something to get the buffalo going. The purposeful way that dumasscamera operator's dumass fatso mate walks after the buffalo isays it all, "duh-uh, I'm gonna pet me a buffalo!, wait up Mr Buffalo"

I think the mind-set of your lower intelligence touron-o-fat-amous is that parking lot buffalos are tame and meant to be harrassed. I saw one quickly let go a sideways cow-kick to the nads of one doofus in front of the Old Faithful Lodge that was pleasant to watch a few years ago.

Old 09-03-2011, 10:43 AM

3,111 posts, read 7,017,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
^ Looks like they actually threw something to get the buffalo going. The purposeful way that dumasscamera operator's dumass fatso mate walks after the buffalo isays it all, "duh-uh, I'm gonna pet me a buffalo!, wait up Mr Buffalo"

I think the mind-set of your lower intelligence touron-o-fat-amous is that parking lot buffalos are tame and meant to be harrassed. I saw one quickly let go a sideways cow-kick to the nads of one doofus in front of the Old Faithful Lodge that was pleasant to watch a few years ago.
Yea, someone threw something at it. Freakin idiots deserve what they got.

The buffalo was minding its own business, and has a couple of fat tourists running after it, and whoever threw the stick at it was responsible.

Old 09-03-2011, 11:10 AM

861 posts, read 910,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
I agree. When I was in Grand Canyon a family with young kids were complaining because there were no guardrails on the trails. It's not Disneyland, folks.

Old 09-03-2011, 11:15 AM

15,847 posts, read 30,353,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
There is an entire book about Death at the Grand Canyon. It is actually quite interesting. I debated whether to buy it or not when we made the trip about five years ago, but I couldn't put that book down. Most deaths were negligence and I would imagine that is the case no matter what National Park. They aren't made to be the safest places in the World...as part of enjoying the great beauty that they possess yet some still feel they are in Disney or something.
The *one* time I have been to the Grand Canyon, I sat in the car while everybody else gawked. I am no fan of heights. I didn't even like the IMAX version.

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-04-2011, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioSilence View Post
Now, buffalo, I have seen in Yellowstone up close. Driving through the park at 5:30 in the morning, we stopped to let a buffalo cross the road. It walked right by the passenger side of the car-- an awesome sight.

But you certainly don't want to approach one. I ran this video in my newscast a couple of years ago. These people got owned.

Buffalo / Bison Attacks Woman Tourist at Yellowstone
I can't say I feel sorry for her. Sorry.

I wouldn't even let them get near your car. I saw them ram cars at least 3 times in Oklahoma when I was a kid. I remember a boy scout from a school near me getting killed as well. And there were other cases I vaguely remember.

Old 09-04-2011, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post

Yeah I coulda swore I saw a stick hit the side of the buffalo. Bad move. Anyone that chases after a 1500 pound animal deserves what they get.

Old 09-04-2011, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
The *one* time I have been to the Grand Canyon, I sat in the car while everybody else gawked. I am no fan of heights. I didn't even like the IMAX version.

20yrsinBranson
I don't like heights either, because I know what gravity does to people.

But there are plenty of places you can stand without putting yourself at risk by any means at all and still get a reasonable view. And also without freaking yourself out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel