Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 08:56 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,693,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
It seems that fatal accidents have been increasing at national parks. 156 fatal accidents in 2010, and already 87 fatalities in 2011.

Grizzly bears, waterfalls, falls from rock formations and into canyons, drownings, etc. While some seem to be true accidents, many appear to be the result of risky behavior or ignoring warning signs.

One very sad incident involved a four year old girl who died after falling over the edge of Grand Canyon. It was reported that her parents were warned before it happened to hold on to the child because she was too close to the edge.
The solution is to cut off funding to the parks and give tax breaks to the people who will be leasing the land for open pit mining.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 09:00 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,016,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post

Add to those problems the fact that many people who come to the national parks are out of shape, overweight, and have medical conditions. I would think being a National Park Ranger would be very stressful. More search and rescue/law enforcement and fewer talks interpreting nature these days.
I tend to agree with this ... As someone who is out of shape and have difficulties walking for extended periods, I think our national parks are just out of my league. Excellent post, BTW ...

Old 08-30-2011, 09:34 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,727,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioSilence View Post
It is rare to encounter a bear. I'm sure most national park visitors never see one. I've seen about five bears in the wild in my lifetime, from Colorado to Alaska, including four trips to Yellowstone.

Yellowstone and Teton are nuts in the summer now. 50 cars slugging the main roads screech to a halt simultaneously anytime someone sees a deer. Huge families cram those skinny mountain trails; it's almost unsafe to climb to a popular overlook or viewpoint. But the trails are there for a reason.
Thanks for the info. It'd be cool to see a Grizzly, but then again, maybe not. From a safe distance, and from a high vantage point, with an easy escape route.

Yeah, we know to avoid national parks during summer. Now that our kids are grown we can take advantage of off-season visits. Last year we were in Yosemite and Sequoia in October and that was a good time. Yosemite was about as crowded then as I would want to tolerate.

The previous year, Grand Canyon in early May was also crowded enough for us. We escaped to the far ends of the trail just to not be amongst lots of people and buses which spoils the atmosphere for me. Places like Zion and Bryce also had more than enough people at that time. I know what you mean about mountain trails crammed with people - that would make it quite unsafe. Some of those trails are crazy enough as is, let alone trying to get by groups of slower moving people.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:22 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,053,995 times
Quote:
It is rare to encounter a bear. I'm sure most national park visitors never see one. I've seen about five bears in the wild in my lifetime, from Colorado to Alaska, including four trips to Yellowstone.

Yellowstone and Teton are nuts in the summer now. 50 cars slugging the main roads screech to a halt simultaneously anytime someone sees a deer. Huge families cram those skinny mountain trails; it's almost unsafe to climb to a popular overlook or viewpoint. But the trails are there for a reason.

While the parks are beautiful, the people ruin it for me. There are many other beautiful parks that aren't visited much where I would rather hike and camp.

I went to Yosemite in August one time, and it was the same thing.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:51 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
A great cover-up exists over the fact that many of the falling deaths that occur at the National Parks is not from careless tourists but by the many birds, rodents and other animals that resent the human intrusion on their lands. A well place swoop by that Stellar Jay or bite on the ankle by Chip or Dale is enough to send Mr. black-socks-with-Bermuda-shorts suddenly stumbling over the edge.

Bears, goats, donkeys and mountain lions also know that a half eaten cheese-head will result in a search and destroy operation carried out by the brown-shirts but a malicious push will be simply attributed to an inattentive moron.

Last edited by Ghengis; 08-31-2011 at 11:16 AM..

Old 08-31-2011, 12:39 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Quote:
It is rare to encounter a bear.
By "encounter" do you mean see one or wake up with one in your tent?

I've seen a LOT of bears in the wild over the years.

Old 08-31-2011, 04:32 PM

112 posts, read 212,651 times
Default Deaths in National Parks

I hike in Yosemite quite often. Most of the deaths are due to foolish behavior. The three people that went over Vernal Falls, for example, were in the water on the other side of guard rails not far from the fall of water. One slipped, the others tried to help. They all ended up going over. None of them should have been in the water to begin with. Period. Need I say more.

Old 08-31-2011, 07:37 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,578,834 times
If you're coming to the U.S. and want to see nature, forget the crowded national parks and check out the state parks. Many of which are easier to get to, far less crowded, much more friendly, and the scenery is just as spectacular.

In the East, particularly, there aren't many national parks - that's because the impressive scenery is all in the state parks on the East Coast.

Old 08-31-2011, 07:43 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,274,634 times
I'm wondering how much this is related to the economy? Much cheaper, for a family vacation to go camping, etc. Then taking the family to Disneyland, etc.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:23 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeville View Post
If you're coming to the U.S. and want to see nature, forget the crowded national parks and check out the state parks. Many of which are easier to get to, far less crowded, much more friendly, and the scenery is just as spectacular.

In the East, particularly, there aren't many national parks - that's because the impressive scenery is all in the state parks on the East Coast.
Right, I think it was Yogi the Bear that said "nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel