Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 12:26 PM

43,646 posts, read 44,368,561 times

Advertisements

I would recommend staying in Long Island City in Queens which is just across the East River from Manhattan and a short commute by subway to Midtown Manhattan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 12:38 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,546,251 times
If you are only staying 2 or 3 nights in the city why would you want to waste time comuting to it - as some posters here suggest? To me that would be way too impractical. Just accept that you have to pay more than in most cities for a decent room then forget it and enjoy! I have stayed at the Courtyard by Marriott on 53rd St and 3rd Avenue. It had a very nice large room and was very clean. Right next door is the subway entrance although we usually opted to go by city bus as the price is the same and you get to see the city as well. It is an easy walk to Central Park and a bit more of a walk in the other direction to Rockafella(sp) ? Center. Allow a 25 minute walk to Times Sq. and the theater district or take a cab. The are not all that expensive.

Another place we have stayed in The Bentley also on the East side but a bit further from the action. They have a rooftop restaurant. One thing I didn't like about the Bentley was if you wanted ice you had to have it brought to your room. They had no ice machine. I found that strange as it was a very nice hotel. If I wasn't on a budget my choice would be The Lombardy. We stayed in one of their hotels in DC and it was great.

Old 01-19-2012, 12:40 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,924,278 times
I stayed at the New Yorker hotel which was in a great location, right at 34th/8th street. --> Was able to walk to Times Square.

Another thing you should really consider is narrowing down where you want to stay and using priceline negotiator. That works great and I actually managed to get the New Yorker Hotel for 70/night

Last edited by intelfan11315; 01-19-2012 at 12:58 PM..

Old 01-20-2012, 06:41 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,332,049 times
If you want to save money, you could also stay outside NYC, e.g. in Holiday Inn Hasbrouck Heights, NJ. I've staid there twice, the NJ Transit Bus takes about 40 Min to Port Authorities Bus Terminal, Manhattan. Quite okay, if you don't want to spent so much $$$.

Old 01-20-2012, 06:58 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,675,979 times
The Sheraton Lincoln Harbor is just across the Hudson, and right next to the Midtown Ferry.
I found it some years ago when working for a customer there in Weehawken.

The Midtown Ferry docks at 39th St are an easy walk to the subway or most of Manhattan.

Old 01-20-2012, 07:27 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,288,448 times
I like the Travel Inn on 42nd St. what really turned me on to this hotel was the free indoor parking.
Rates are under $200 per night.
Times Sq. a 10 minute walk.
Great Deli on first floor.
Midtown Manhattan Hotels - The Travel Inn, New York, NY

Old 01-20-2012, 08:11 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,043,908 times
I stayed at the Gershwin Hotel on the corner of Fifth Avenue and 27th street. It's a funky little place with lot's of character and they've got pretty good live music. If you want to go cheap they also have dorm rooms but it's not a backpackers. Rooms are small, but what do you expect for the price in NYC?

Old 01-20-2012, 09:04 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,195,632 times
Curious = how many times do people go to Times Square when visiting NYC? It seems so many recommendations are focused on the distance to it, but do people really need to walk there every day while in town? I'd say proximity to subway lines going in every direction has more utility.

Old 01-20-2012, 03:59 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,924,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Curious = how many times do people go to Times Square when visiting NYC? It seems so many recommendations are focused on the distance to it, but do people really need to walk there every day while in town? I'd say proximity to subway lines going in every direction has more utility.

No its not really a big deal, but it does mean however that there are plenty of things to do in the nearby area. It was very nice for me to be able to be laying down in the hotel and get out of bed and just walk outside and get something to eat within a couple of minutes. I think I went to Times Square once, but it was pretty fun to see. Also, the recommendation I gave was at 34th/7th which is pretty much in the center of everything, and I got a great price so I thought I'd share the info.

Old 01-20-2012, 04:30 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,043,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Yeah the subway on 42nd and Broadway I think is the station to get off for Times Square.

I would walk through Times Square often to get uptown. The first night I was in NY I headed straight for Times Square. Other than that I would pass through there pretty often. We also went to see a broadway show in the Theatre district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel