U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 12:01 PM

493 posts, read 1,012,027 times

Advertisements

One that I don't have to take out a 2nd mortgage for?
I want to go up for a 2-3 days in early to mid-November.
Not particular about location yet.
I'm also going to look at places in Westchester (my old stamping ground!) where I can hop Metro-North into the city.
I'm sure that I will already be shut out at many places, since fall in NYC is a magnet for tourists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 12:16 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,326,401 times
We usually stay in Manhattan as we're most often visiting near Central Park/mid-town. We like Salisbury Hotel as the rooms are spacious (at least for Manhattan) and it's not crazy-expensive. You might want to check TripAdvisor to see some recent reviews of various places.

Old 09-01-2011, 04:39 PM

7,970 posts, read 18,107,858 times
This thread was moved from the Northern Virginia forum to the Travel forum to be more applicable.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:09 PM

38,900 posts, read 20,200,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by persnicketygal View Post
I'm also going to look at places in Westchester (my old stamping ground!) where I can hop Metro-North into the city.
I'm sure that I will already be shut out at many places, since fall in NYC is a magnet for tourists.
I don't have any specific hotels to recommend but I do have a suggestion ... Check the bed bug registry before confirming with a hotel as some NYC area hotels have bed bug issues. That was one of the factors that led me to book at the Millenium Hilton in Downtown Manhattan.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:14 PM

9,235 posts, read 9,307,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by persnicketygal View Post
Google the "Milford Plaza Hotel". Its in Manhattan in the heart of the Theater District near Times Square. Its about $175 a night. The rooms are old, small, and they need remodeling. However, it is inhabitable and its probably the cheapest room you'd actually consider staying in while visiting Manhattan. It has a subway entrance nearby too.

Old 09-02-2011, 06:37 AM

5 posts, read 5,264 times
You have not mention your budget and also preference.
Here, I am listing few with my experience:

The James New York
The Carlyle, a Rosewood Hotel
Andaz Wall Street
The Mark New York
Gramercy Park Hotel

Some cheap hotels in New York are:

Wellington Hotel
Belvedere Hotel
The Manhattan at Times Square Hotel

cheap hotels

Old 09-02-2011, 07:55 AM

4,308 posts, read 11,823,237 times
Do NOT stay at the Embassy Suites near Ground Zero. The walls are paper thin!

Old 09-02-2011, 02:22 PM

8,266 posts, read 10,726,968 times
Try Holiday Inn Express Madison Square Garden: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev..._New_York.html

Tons of places to eat around there, right near MSG so easy to get to access to Amtrak, LIRR, various subway lines, can walk either direction to touristy things if you want.

Plus easier to find/walk to bars full of locals than at Times Square.

Old 01-19-2012, 10:55 AM

493 posts, read 1,012,027 times
Returning to this thread I started --

I didn't go up to NY in November; now it's scheduled for early March (yeah, I really wanted to pick worse odds on the weather! but other things got in the way, and now I've committed to theater tickets for March, so...)

My question to you folks:

Between comparing some of the travel hotel sites (Expedia, Hotels-dot-com, the rest) against the hotel websites themselves, the prices have been the same. Does this mean I'm paying "rack rate"? Some other websites define rack rate as the walk-up, same-night rate, not necessarily the rate provided when you deal with a hotel directly.

Maybe there are just no discounts when it comes to NYC?
One of the stays is over a Saturday night, so that bumps my total price up. (I admit I'm not willing to go ultracheap even IF I'm only going to be spending 8 or 9 hours a night in the room.)

Old 01-19-2012, 11:45 AM

2,013 posts, read 5,005,637 times
NYC is crazy expensive, and that isn't including the roughly 12-15% taxes on the room rate (occupancy, city, state, tourism etc) that you will pay on the quoted rate. I know people that stay at the Vacation Inn and like it for free parking (they'll even let you park before and after check in/check out if you stay at least one night). It's right around the corner from Port Authority~you take the Lincoln Tunnel in and make 2 left turns and you are there. If you are brave enough to drive into the city. I also know of people who have gotten great deals on last minute hotels (deciding on Monday to go in on a Wednesday) through Priceline type venues.

I prefer to stay in Secaucus at any of the chain hotels~LaQuinta, Homewood Suites, Marriott, Holiday Inn Express, Hyatt and take the bus or train in to the city. Most of them offer door to Port Authority service in/out of the city, with free parking, a little quieter (the city that never sleeps is a true fact) and the round trip bus fare is $8. Most of the hotels are suites, include free internet access, health club facilities and a complimentary breakfast. Many provide free shuttle service to the train station if you want to go to Penn Station instead of Pt. Authority. There are also a number of restaurants and stores in the Secaucus area if you have time to kill before or after your city trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or