U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 09:25 AM

1,246 posts, read 2,989,708 times

Advertisements

Traveling within my state is virtually the only traveling I do these days. Not just for financial reasons, but because longer-distance travel is such a hassle. Fortunately I live in a state (New York) that has a lot of natural and historical attractions.

I feel very sorry for people who have done nothing but take exotic vacations their whole lives to "big" destinations (Europe, Hawaii, Asia etc) and then they just get bored with it. I suspect they aren't bored so much as, the hassle and expense is just becoming too much. Then they feel like visiting places closer to home is some sort of cultural "come-down."

Dr. Earth, what state do you live in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2011, 09:26 AM

18 posts, read 26,907 times
Hi sorry im new to this site how do i make my own post?

Old 09-04-2011, 12:37 PM

34,399 posts, read 41,509,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emma153 View Post
Hi sorry im new to this site how do i make my own post?
When you open a section for viewing topics within that section you'll notice at the top left of the page an icon called "New Thread" click on that and start your new topic

Old 09-05-2011, 07:38 AM

56,157 posts, read 54,630,432 times
Interesting idea.

I have been thinking about this a lot lately myself. I live in a small state, New Jersey, which has a lot of history, and I like history. For most of my life I've lived in the northernmost part of the state, so there are places in the southern areas I've never seen. Now I live in Central NJ, closer to some of the southern counties by car, and I am looking for activities for the fall now that the beach season is ending. I need to find things one can do alone, so I've been thinking I could take day trips on the weekends and scout out some places.

Old 09-05-2011, 07:44 AM

56,157 posts, read 54,630,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeville View Post
Traveling within my state is virtually the only traveling I do these days. Not just for financial reasons, but because longer-distance travel is such a hassle. Fortunately I live in a state (New York) that has a lot of natural and historical attractions.

I feel very sorry for people who have done nothing but take exotic vacations their whole lives to "big" destinations (Europe, Hawaii, Asia etc) and then they just get bored with it. I suspect they aren't bored so much as, the hassle and expense is just becoming too much. Then they feel like visiting places closer to home is some sort of cultural "come-down."

Dr. Earth, what state do you live in?
Yes, NY State has some great travel options and it is a beautiful place. My daughter went to UAlbany last year, and the NYS musuem in Albany is really good. I have to go back when she returns next year--I didn't get to see everything.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:12 PM

4,112 posts, read 3,824,823 times
Cool stuff.

Old 09-07-2011, 02:43 AM

1,812 posts, read 2,847,788 times
like that idea gonna gonna start making plans to do that and travel by car.

Old 09-09-2011, 01:07 PM

3,288 posts, read 6,111,231 times
Every other weekend I go to Amelia Island and St.Simons Island, GA for weekend getaways. Beautiful resort towns and they're only 45 minutes to an hour from Jacksonville

Old 09-09-2011, 06:58 PM

9,181 posts, read 16,667,981 times
When I was a kid my dad worked rotating shifts, 8 on, 3 off. So he might get off at 6 am on a Thursday and not have to be back until 4 pm on Monday. So we took lots of short jaunts around the midwest, sometimes camping, sometimes staying in motels. We'd also take at least on vacation of at least a week every year, but I have some great memories of those weekend trips.

Old 09-10-2011, 12:05 AM

334 posts, read 947,898 times
Default We're road trip fans!

My wife and I often take short weekend trips here in northern CA. We're "empty nesters" and don't mind driving four hours each way if the weather is agreeable. There's a lot to see within that radius. We will pick a destination and drive, usually have lunch along the way and often return home the same day. Our "daytrips" have taken us to Lake Tahoe, Reno, Pyramid Lake, Napa Valley, Eureka, Garberville, Susanville, even Alturas. It's a great way to learn about the the communities, terrain, etc. We really enjoy these trips and often see places that we'll return to when we have more time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or