U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 01:19 PM

4,836 posts, read 10,186,086 times

Advertisements

Europe is a great place to visit been there 4 times. The last time I spent 5 months in Barcelona and traveled around Europe a bit on the weekends. It was great. But I also do want to see other parts of the world. Been to a bit of South America, plenty of the Caribbean (basically live in it) Been down under too and to Israel and Northern Africa. What I really want to see is China, Japan and some islands like the Maldives and Thaiti. Also Iceland and Greenland are up on the list. South Africa after that.
For the US there are so many places to see too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 03:36 PM

6,800 posts, read 11,767,775 times
I'm mostly interested in Europe and Far East.. although I would like to visit South America, Middle East, and Africa, they're still at the bottom of my list.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:59 PM

9,175 posts, read 16,645,345 times
I don't have any great desire to visit Europe. Not saying I would never go or that there aren't things I would like to see; but there are a lot of places in the US that I haven't visited yet, and the expense of an overseas trip would probably cost what 5 domestic vacations would.

Old 09-07-2011, 09:54 PM

24 posts, read 108,046 times
Europe offers (in most places) political stability, pretty safe places to travel, high standards of comfort, great art and culture, food that is different enough but also similar enough for the typical U.S. palette. It is geographically compact, has great infrastructure, and excellent transportation systems, and poses no real health risks.

Yes, Asia (and other places) can offer more exotic, off-the-beaten path stuff. But this can come at some high costs -- tougher to get around, less safe, more difficult to eat, health risks. I LOVE to travel...Europe or Asia.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:43 PM

693 posts, read 817,769 times
No. Or at least not anymore (I used to live there and I didn't think it was all it's cracked up to be). It's nice to visit a couple times to see the history and the old buildings/historical monuments,etc. and as another poster stated, it's convenient because you have a myriad of countries so close together but imo Asia is MUCH more interesting and lively. Europe is very expensive and the people (although I've never had any problems personally, weren't as friendly as people in other parts of the world). With all that being said and as hypocritical as this might sound I will return as there are a few more countries I'd like to see, but they're far back on the list .

Old 09-09-2011, 08:10 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,369,517 times
I think some people go to Europe because it's the 'done thing to do', but I have to say it still is a fascinating place with such a mix of cultures, geography, food in a relatively small area. It's not the be all and end all of travel destinations, I see it as no better or worse than alot of other places in the world. Europe is also more accessible than alot of places since people have been going there for a long time.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:53 AM

145 posts, read 392,227 times
Being a European and living here, i suppose i do have an interest in the place.

However, i don't think it's strange if someone has no desire to visit Europe. I feel the same way towards Asia, i've spent a limited amount of time on that continent and despite it being filled with things to do, i'd happily never visit that continent again. Why? I guess i feel like i could visit other places elsewhere, that i'm more interested in, for the rest of my life and that'd make me more than happy. So, replace Asia with Europe and i get that entirely.

Plus, if you're American, you have a wonderful country of your own to explore as well. One of the best things i ever did was travel across the US on Amtrak and Greyhound, i met so many wonderful people and experienced a lot of great things.

Old 09-12-2011, 02:52 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,765,694 times
i doubt i will ever go to europe. nothing about it interests me.

Old 09-27-2011, 06:17 PM

2 posts, read 2,925 times
None of the countries in Europe interest me in the least.

Old 09-28-2011, 03:09 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,241,442 times
Everyone should go to Europe once. But after that, it's incredibly expensive compared to other destinations, and after all, all American's are Europeans, too, so there isn't all that much cultural difference.

To clarify the "expensive" part, yes, I know that star-for-star, hotels in Europe are just as cheap as tourist-class hotels anywhere else, but on other continents, you have the option of very low-priced travel ($15-30 a day per person, food, lodging and transport) readily available everywhere, every day, and that is completely impossible in Europe for even doublt that price, unless you are very lucky and do a ton of homework and have some inside contacts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel